Flying with rod as a carry-on question

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Fryeguy
Sport

Post by Fryeguy »

I plan on flying with my rods out west. What are the rules for carry-ons as far as rod tube material? I am getting various feed back from local shops here. are aluminum tubes ok? do I need to use a pvc pipe tube? the longest tube I would be taking is 42" or so long. I have already made one from pvc, but it is a little heavy. just wondering. don't want to cause a stir thru security!!!!

wiscoy
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Flying with rod as a carry-on question

Post by wiscoy »

This has been discussed several times - maybe a search for "carry on" would find some of those threads. Metal tubes will not make it, for size check with the airlines, i have carried 48" rod tubes on board. You other issue is TSA, they have rules but some agents make up their own. That has been the only area i have had issues with when flying with tackle.
Last edited by wiscoy on 08/16/12 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
"It is better to tie one good fly in an hour than a dozen that would only be taken by a trout with a sense of humor"
Uncle Bill

Anglers Cane
Guide

Post by Anglers Cane »

Check out my reply in your "Colorado!!!!" post....

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

I recently traveled to the West Coast and then north to Alaska.

I used a cordura (over PVC) "carry on" rod & reel case from Cabela's and had no problems whatsoever with TSA anywhere along the way.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

Traveling with tubes is always dicey, but last Christmas I flew back home with an aluminum tube for 9.5 2 piece rod and a study cardboard tube containing several nine foot blanks that were duck taped together. The carry on cabinets were long enough. I either put then in the back or on top of others luggage. On the second flight, the carry on cabinet was not as long, but there was a hole between the carry on deviders that I put them through. I had no problems, and i have done this many times before. But, I always worry about having proplems and having to check it which I would never do. If they loose it, you are screwed. Some times it is easier to just mail it as you can insure it for loss. Have fun.

BlueDunn
Master Guide

Post by BlueDunn »

I always ship mine to where I am going.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Last year I flew to Denver, on to West Yellowstone. Built a cool pvc and cardboard carrier to ride on top of my normal T&T carrier for 3-piece rods. Really went to trouble to carry on my valuable cane.

In both airports I see tons of fly guys with long tubes, for 2-pcers! Everywhere dammit. Plastic and metal tubes, couldn't believe it. None had any trouble getting on.

...and no one asked about large, pointy flies too.
Last edited by Flykuni3 on 08/17/12 14:38, edited 1 time in total.

cti111
Guide

Post by cti111 »

Last week I flew from Seattle to Calgary & like others I used a cordura (over PVC) "carry on" rod case that held three rods (each were 3-pieces from 7'7" to 8'6" and had no problems whatsoever with TSA or customs along the way. They just asked what was in the tube but never asked me to open it. I was thinking about bringing my 2 piece rods but decided not to this time.

Fryeguy
Sport

Post by Fryeguy »

I tried calling TSA, that was a waste of time. talk about menus, they go in circles no matter what number you push. I called the airport I am flying out of, and got 3 different answer. first person said no metal tubes, and pvc should be ok, but they weren't sure so I was transfered. the airline guy said to tubes period, but to check he asked a tsa guy that happened to be walking by. that guy said sure, they are allowed. I specifically told him again that they were metal, made from aluminum tubes. He replied, yes I understand, no problem. I hope is is working security gate when I get there!!!!

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

I travel a lot by air, it has become such a pain in the *ss I just send everything along by mail and have two small carryons and just pick up my stuff at the other end. No worries, no hassle, rather expensive.
One never knows what power mad jerk you may encounter from the moment you enter an airport and lose all constitutional rights, until you walk out the gate.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

We're in Montana now. We flew on Delta and carried 4 metal tubes with the longest being 45". No issues.

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

rsagebrush wrote:I travel a lot by air, it has become such a pain in the *ss I just send everything along by mail and have two small carryons and just pick up my stuff at the other end. No worries, no hassle, rather expensive.
One never knows what power mad jerk you may encounter from the moment you enter an airport and lose all constitutional rights, until you walk out the gate.
Eggzackly!! Since 9/11, if I plan to fish, I don't fly. If I plan to fly, I don't plan to fish. I'm retired, so time is not really much of an issue, and I enjoy driving. Flying is used to cross oceans.

I've had the experience of $2000 worth of rods going astray (only for a few days, thank God) after being checked on an airline. I've also heard too many horror stories about luggage and airlines, ranging from TSA and/or airline personnel spontaneously and unilaterally disallowing stuff all the way to checked rod cases (and golf bag carriers) arriving at their destinations empty.

For those who have not had these kinds of problems, I feel only envy, and you have my good wishes. I simply choose not to take the risk.

Eric

Fryeguy
Sport

Post by Fryeguy »

Eric,
that is exactly why I want to carry them on. I hate watching them load luggage on the plane! I am also changing planes, so that is even more apt to misplace stuff. I have gone ahead and made tubes for them out of pvc, sch. 40 pipe. I think I will see how it goes with those. I have thought about trying to get thru security with the aluminum tubes, if they don't allow it, just returning to the car and changing out for the pvc tube. the pvc is just bulky is all, and heavier. If I had planned on staying anywhere for more than one or two nites, then I would probably have gone the shipping ahead route.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

Aluminum tubes are a 50/50 craps shoot. A PVC tube is probably not much better. A dedicated rod tub covered by Cordura Nylon is your best bet.

I say 50/50 craps shoot because on a recent trip back east a guy got through TSA and onto my plane with an aluminum tube. BUT, according to everything I've "read and heard", aluminum generally doesn't get through.

Me? I don't fly with bamboo....period. It's just not worth encountering that "mad power-crazed TSA agent" and being forced to check you rod...you know, the one that probably will not make it to your destination. I fish, ack, my graphite rods that I put together myself.

If you want to fish your bamboo, FedEx it to your destination.

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

DrLogik wrote:Aluminum tubes are a 50/50 craps shoot. A PVC tube is probably not much better. A dedicated rod tub covered by Cordura Nylon is your best bet.
Another option, one I have used to cary 8' 2/2 rods as carryons, is an expandable art tube with a shoulder strap, which will hold three rods (removed from their aluminum cases) easily:

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=12896391

If you're going to check your rods in, the most sensible option--one I have used when flying with rods to Europe--is a good old-fashioned "bullet-proof" gun case from Cabelas. Being a gun case, it gets watched rather carefully, and it can be locked with TSA locks. However, the case with long sliding lock bars is tricky for some people to unlock/lock the first time, and the TSA people once sent it along with the lock bar hanging loose. I think the newer models don't use the bars, so they are simpler.

bb

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

I think anytime you are carrying a rod on you are rolling the dice as to whether it will be allowed. From my experience it all depends on who is doing the screening. Aluminum, pvc, cordura, or leather it doesn't seem to matter if it is an issue with the screener. I can honestly say I have never had an issue in the West (WA, OR, MT, ID or AK), however, on a couple of occassions I have had to check rods in the MidWest and East (KS, TX, and FL). I think it is a little more common out west and most screeners don't seem concerned.

Jim

Southernangler
Sport

Post by Southernangler »

I take 3 piece rods that fit (just) in an Eagle Creek duffel bag that is 35 inches long. This goes in checked baggage. I take the two piecers when I travel by car. I used to check a long plastic rod case that held two or three 2 piece 9 footers. It got mislaid on a trip to Scotland and I had to use borrowed equipment for two days.

I do have two Cabela cordura covered cases. They look less threatening than aluminum. When I really want to be safe, I'll carry that on board. So far, no one has stopped me.

Althehackleman
Guide

Post by Althehackleman »

Just back from two weeks in the Yellowstone area. We carried on all of our rods, 16 to be exact. 7 bamboo and 9 graphite. The bamboo were all in an Abel rod and reel carry on luggage thing. The rods were in the bags and the bags were in the PVC tubes inside the canvas cover of the Abel luggage item. The top part, which is like a gear bag, had all the reels and paperwork and stuff like that. The graphite rods were all in a Fishpond padded rod carrier. We used a cole of tubes to give it rigidity and the others rods were in the bags. No problems at all. In the past it seemed that if things went ok at DTW the once we got west there were so many folks with rod tubes and things that there was noroblem there either. TSA scanned the tubes but there was no question and no concern about the carryon. I would carry again without worry. Good luck.

Cheddar Dan
Guide

Post by Cheddar Dan »

This past May I had no problem carrying on one aluminum rod tube. The biggest problem was all the zippers in my zip off Eddie Bauer pants setting off the alarms-Really!--I thought TSA was gonna strip me at Stewart International (NY)!!
Wulff Certified Casting Instructor
Rajeff Trained Fly Caster
Life Member TU
Madison River Foundation Member
Purchased First Bamboo Rod in 1970

Berry Point
Master Guide

Post by Berry Point »

Call me lucky, call me blessed, call me for dinner, but I have never had an issue taking rods and reels as carry on--more than 30 times since 2005--trans Atlantic to at least 5 US destinations, US to Canada and back, transcontinental US and local short hauls on all types of aircraft.

I've surrendered nail clippers, blunt nose trimming scissors, a cell phone charger and a couple of tubes of toothpaste in defense of my nation but have never, ever had an issue with rods and reels. I use a 41 inch canvas rod carrier with external pouches for reels and fly boxes from a well known US maker. The rods in the carrier are placed individually in canvas covered PVC tubes. I've carried from 1 to 5 rods and up to 6 reels at once as carry-on without a single hitch. For good measure I also carry along a printed copy of the TSA rules for rods and reels but have never had to show it to anyone in the airlines or at security checkpoints.

I'm not lucky in other things; I've never even won a game of Bingo. So I just don't consider this an issue. Never check 'em, but carry them on without fear so long as they meet the published guidelines.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”