Montague made orvis rod questions

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Montague made orvis rod questions

Post by Greg Reynolds »

BruceHandley wrote:
08/15/22 19:49
...somewhere I have a copy of the ad on this rod and I think it listed at $50. Back in the 40's that was a good bit of change
Bruce,
You mailed me a photocopy of your 1948 Orvis "Guide to Better Fishing" flier years ago:

TXTrout
Master Guide

Post by TXTrout »

Thanks guys.

My questions started from looking at some parts that I've had for 20 plus years, from what I thought was an 8.5' high end Monty. The male ferrules are waisted style, but the cane was glued with what looks to be that famous "purple" glue based on the glue lines or from the result of bakelite impregnation.

It was stripped, lacking grip, realest etc. It really doesn't fit with any Monty I've seen, so I've always wondered. I have Monty splitswitch that is almost a Leonard 50.5 with taper and heavily intermediates.

This is a much different taper. Heavier tipped, with more of an earlier Was Jordon Orvis style 3pc rod tip and mid section taper. Random node pattern. Currently the butt section is MIA.

All and all, just one of those mysteries that can keep us awake...

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

My Montague made for Sears "X-Pert" has the same reel seat but the butt cap is different.

TXTrout
Master Guide

Post by TXTrout »

Thanks for the picture.

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”