Lou Williams

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

SquidStrip

Lou Williams

Post by SquidStrip »

Greetings,
A family member recently gave me two custom bamboo fly rods. One has no info on it but the other has the builder as Lou Williams from Chatanooga, TN. It is a two piece rod with two tips. Each piece measures 45" and it came in an unmarked alumimum tube,no bag.

I'm seeking more info on the builder and possibly date the rod. Appraisal would be nice but I don't plan to sell. Both rods are in very good condition. Thank you to anyone who can provide some info.

-SquidStrip

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Lou Williams

Post by wrong66 »

Not much can be done to help you without photos.

SquidStrip

Post by SquidStrip »

ewp313
Bamboo Fanatic
Location: Keep looking to the stars! / Siempre mira a las estrellas!

Post by ewp313 »

Wonderful, now how about pics of the all of the ferrules, reel seat, and bag/tube the rod may have come in.

SquidStrip

Post by SquidStrip »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sorry. New here.

ewp313
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ewp313 »

SquidStrip,
Looks like a pre/post WWll Horrocks Ibbotson production rod, evidenced by the black plastic reel seat, grip shape, winding check, and shouldered non serrated ferrules. The rod may have began life as a low-mid grade model such as a "Pocono/Prince" (if 7- 7 1/2, 2 pc) and was re-wrapper by someone adding the writing to the butt section, signature wraps and new wrap color combination. I strongly question why a custom built rod builder would use late 30's-40's Horrocks Ibbotson standard hardware.
It may be a good caster/fishing rod, many of these HI blue-collar models were very affordable & fishable. If this is one of the Tonka tapers it was made prior to their cat. introduction in the 40's, being one of their best tapers of all time. IMO
Ed

SquidStrip

Post by SquidStrip »

Thanks Ed,
I appreciate the info. The only info I can dig up about Lou Williams so far is that he made a rod for Pres. Eisenhower around 1953.
I do plan to fish the rod once I match a reel to it. The 7 1/2 legnth and weight (I'm guessing a 4/5 wt.) is perfect for the streams and rivers here in the mid-atlantic. It appears to be in very good shape but the ferrules fit extremly tight. I also have another 9' 3pc. cane rod that has no markings on it at all. I'll post it up in the next few days and see if you "in-the-know" folks can provide more insight.

-SS

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

SS, just a warning about those tight ferrules. I had an old Shakespeare that I pulled the ferrule right off the butt section it was so tight and old glues had hardened. I'm not going to stick my neck out on the correct way to fix ferrules too tight, there's knowledgeable people here to make their own ferrules to do that. I will say I took some 1000 grit wet paper to male...LIGHTLY..., cleaned female with q-tips and simple green mix, then lightly spun 1000 grit wet in female. Done this to a couple of ferrules and maybe I'm just lucky but has worked perfect for me.

ewp313
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ewp313 »

The safest and approved method is to clean both ferrules with q-tips/swab pads & denatured alcohol only, until all the black deposits have been removed, especially from inside the female.
Carefully press the ferrules together grasping close to their base (pressing straight in, no twisting), with both hands, while test fitting them, until they seat properly (never force or a loose ferrule may come off when you try to remove it). It's better to take every precaution to insure no damage to the rod/ferrules.
DNA will remove varnish as well. If not cautious too much rubbing with any abrasive could result in taking too much off, making for a loose fit, and real repairs. Lots of tips in search here.
Ed

Moonlight325

Post by Moonlight325 »

What would you like to know about Lou Williams?

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

My recollection, based on some research I did years ago, is Lou Williams was an outdoors sports writer in TN.
The inscription "Tip made by Lou Williams" appears on a 7' 4wt H-I Princess from the late 20s (based on the fully intact decal). If the replacement tip is any indication, he did nice work.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Forget all that H-I decal info that's been listed here for years. Much of it is wrong. Earliest it can be is just before the war, when the Princess first appeared.
Mark

Moonlight325

Post by Moonlight325 »

Lou Williams was my paternal grandfather. I came across this site recently as I was going through some of his stuff I still have. I remember him in his workshop making fishing rods. He had a collection of rods from famous people, such as Ike. He would swap one of his hand made rods for a favorite rod the person had. Unfortunately, the rod collection was stolen in about 1998. My grandfather died in 1984, at age 92. I still have photos of him and Ike, in the Oval Office, swapping rods. He was truly a craftsman, as he also made fine furniture.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

There are MANY here who absolutely love to see that photo, if possible.
Mark

Moonlight325

Post by Moonlight325 »

I just was notified of this post. If there is still interest I will be glad to dig out the old photos I have.
John Williams

Moonlight325

Post by Moonlight325 »

I am Lou Williams grandson. I have info on his rods if anyone wants them.
I’m not active on this forum. Please contact me at:
Jwilliams@chartersys.com

John Williams

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Moonlight, I think it would be fabulous if you can find and post those photos!

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I concur with the rod being an H-I Princess. I have the rod with the same hardware, grip, etc. It fishes well and like the entire Tonka series which has over the years developed a following of sorts. Mine was also stripped and refinished. Great small stream rod.

Moonlight325

Post by Moonlight325 »

Here’s two photos of my grandfather (Lou Williams) swapping rods with Eisenhower in the Oval Office sometime in 1953. Also copies of letters he received from Ike as well as FDR.
I’ll see what else I can find of interest. If you have any questions about my grandfather or what he did I’ll be happy to try and answer them.
John Williams

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Ike's got a gleam in his eye!

Jay Edwards

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”