Bamboo Mike (Mike Longuil) passed this week...

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

BruceC

Bamboo Mike (Mike Longuil) passed this week...

Post by BruceC »

For those of you who knew Mike Longuil, AKA "Bamboo Mike", we lost one of the good guys this week. Mike was not able to recover from a massive head trauma that happened a few months ago. I've attached a link to his obituary for those of you who knew him. He was a good friend and fine craftsman. He will be missed.

Thanks,
Bruce C
http://www.brucecorwin.com

http://newyork.newsday.com/obituaries/m ... -1.4085655

henrysdad
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Bamboo Mike (Mike Longuil) passed this week...

Post by henrysdad »

I had a couple of very entertaining conversations with Mike over the phone. He was a really nice guy, and possessed a lot of knowledge about cane rods. I wish his family the best.
Tom

JPMarci
Master Guide

Post by JPMarci »

Always sad to hear. A very good man that was always willing to share with me.

John

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

Mike really was one of the good guys! I once needed a reel seat for a classic rod and had been given ridicules prices to replace it...I called Mike and he happend to have one and sold it to me cheap to " help me out" he will be missed!

Munsey

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Mike was his own man; I admired that about him. He was kind and generous with his time and advice when I first got interested in bamboo a decade ago.

48x20
Guide

Post by 48x20 »

Some of you may remember a very tiny (working) bamboo fly rod and reel that was always on display at the Rockland spring show- I think it was only 25 inches long. Mike was the one who made it. Condolences to his family.
Last edited by 48x20 on 10/10/12 20:58, edited 1 time in total.

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Wonderful and so, so helpful when I contacted him often years ago. Noticed that he spent a varied & full career with young people as an educator and coach - a lot of giving to others... He will be missed ... May you rest in blessed peace, Mike...

canesterdf
Master Guide

Post by canesterdf »

Sorry to hear one of our brothers in bamboo rods has passed. I met Mike years ago and found him to be a great guy. Wishing the best for his family in a difficult time. Paul

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Mike was a fixture at Northeastern events. His absence will be noted with sadness.

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

It was always one of the highlights of the Carlisle show to visit Mikes room and talk a little.

He was always on the lookout for rods and reels to give to the youngsters in his area and if my memory is correct he grew up in the same neighborhood as Ray Bergman.

He always talked of his friendship with Carmine Lisella and he could never say enough nice things about his buddy.

Getting to be I don't even care to go to the shows anymore because of who won't be there.

One of a kind and he will be missed.

Barry

BruceC

Post by BruceC »

Thank you all for your comments. I'll be printing out this thread and taking it over to Mike's family next week where they will be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks again,
Bruce C

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Mike was a real nice person. May he rest in peace.

Dennis

bamboocollector11
Master Guide

Post by bamboocollector11 »

Mike was a great guy and will be sorely missed by his family and friends.

lukeflycaster

Post by lukeflycaster »

I came across this thread trying to remember Mike's name, as my memory can be somewhat slippery these days. Shortly after I re-started fishing bamboo around 2008, I found his old web page online and contracted Mike to do some rod repair work. He was in the late stages of his career at the time but he was the most reasonably priced bamboo rod man plus he still did very very, nice work! It was always a pleasure chatting with him on the phone, and he related lots of interesting stories and info to me. I recall that I once sent him photos of a rod that had everyone on this forum stumped as to its' provenance, and he immediately confirmed it as a Nat Uslan. He said he knew him well, remembering Nat from his days of working together with Ray Bergman in the 1940's. He was laughing as he related Nat's stubborn convictions regarding penta rods, saying "he was one crazy SOB!" - he meant it as an obvious term of endearment. I got my last batch of several rods back from Mike early in 2012. When I tried to contact him later for more work, I discovered he was gone from the auto accident. His wife had not yet even decided what to do with all of his shop contents. I hope everything eventually found a proper new home. As for me I still have and fish about a half dozen rods Mike rebuilt for me. I also use several repair and refinishing techniques which he shared with me over the course of the few years I "knew" him. I can repeat here, after nearly 10 years, he is still remembered and missed.

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Very much agree with you Lukeflycaster. He was a big help to me when I first got started too. He had a huge basement shop with super long bench that was probably 20' long - it was awesome. First time I ever saw a dip tube - basically right there on the side of the room next to a pile of scrap lumber. Very straight forward, practical guy. Believe he used to teach shop class at local school. Let me use his massive lathe whenever I asked. Remember he used to keep sections and partial rods of all the primary makers and companies like Heddon, Orvis, etc - all in separate large tubes so he could potentially match up sections or parts for repairs, etc. Used to make him tips or the occasional mid out of old Edwards strips he had a large stash of at one time. His signature refinish was to add a handle to fit the mid and tip of the original three-piece rod being sold or redone so the buyer effectively had a banty and the full length rod - always at ridiculously reasonable prices too. He is definitely missed.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

As a relativley newcomer to this forum, I'm often struck by what a tight knit community of bamboo fanatics have assembled here. Sadly many members of this clan have ceased to enlighten me and others with their knowledge. Some due to the fact that, like Bamboo Mike, they have passed over to the river Styx, while others have simply moved on for whatever reason.

It would be nice if we had a way of recognizing those who have passed so that new - and even long-time members - could know this. On another forum that I occasionally visit, the posts of these members have been updated to include (deceased) after the member's forum name. I see this as a sign of respect and would like to see us adopt something similar. Some members leave by choice, some are booted, and some, I suspect, would rather still be here posting, but didn't have a choice in the decision. With no disrespect to Mike, what has happened to long time forum members henrysdad and bamboocollector11?

JosephR
Sport

Post by JosephR »

I just found this discussion and thought I'd add a bit.

The rod with which I learned to fly fish is a 9' 6" Montague that I believe was built by George Varney when he worked for them. I got in on eBay in 2000 and it was in pretty sad shape when I got it, but it was beautifully restored by Mike around 2001. Years after that I met a fascinating woman at the Independence, MO Bass Pro Shops named Wanda - I don’t recall her last name - who has long since retired and passed away. I told her about this rod and who restored it, and she laughed and said, “Mike Longuil? Taught him everything he knows.” Turns out she used to do custom bamboo work but carpal tunnel took its toll, so she took Mike under her wing, and one of the results was this rod.

Last edited by JosephR on 07/13/23 12:35, edited 1 time in total.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
06/07/22 22:32
As a relativley newcomer to this forum, I'm often struck by what a tight knit community of bamboo fanatics have assembled here. Sadly many members of this clan have ceased to enlighten me and others with their knowledge. Some due to the fact that, like Bamboo Mike, they have passed over to the river Styx, while others have simply moved on for whatever reason.

It would be nice if we had a way of recognizing those who have passed so that new - and even long-time members - could know this. On another forum that I occasionally visit, the posts of these members have been updated to include (deceased) after the member's forum name. I see this as a sign of respect and would like to see us adopt something similar. Some members leave by choice, some are booted, and some, I suspect, would rather still be here posting, but didn't have a choice in the decision. With no disrespect to Mike, what has happened to long time forum members henrysdad and bamboocollector11?
Joe, henrysdad posted here a few times last month. Last time bamboocollector11 posted was 3 years ago.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Try bamboocollector#1. I think he was having an issue with the old handle and changed it. I think.

Return to “Forum Announcements”