New Reels for Bamboo- REVISED

A place to discuss those classic and vintage fly reels, classics include modern variations of those of vintage. Please add your photos, stories or just join in conversation about your reels.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Sz20DF
Sport

Post by Sz20DF »

What is the current (modern reels) reel of choice for bamboo rods? I seldom see any but old Hardy's, CFO's and vintage reels on bamboo rods. I'm looking for something to use on a couple of Orvis Battenkill's, 7.5' and 8' rods. All I see new out there are large arbor's. I can't imagine what reaction I would get fishing a LG Arbor reel from my boo buddies. Thanks, Ed

SORRY, MEANT TO POST IN "CLASSIC REELS" or "FISHING BAMBOO FLY RODS". Moderator, pls move if I'm in the wrong post. Thks.

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: New Reels for Bamboo- REVISED

Post by Eric Peper »

Sz20DF wrote:What is the current (modern reels) reel of choice for bamboo rods? I seldom see any but old Hardy's, CFO's and vintage reels on bamboo rods. I'm looking for something to use on a couple of Orvis Battenkill's, 7.5' and 8' rods. All I see new out there are large arbor's. I can't imagine what reaction I would get fishing a LG Arbor reel from my boo buddies. Thanks, Ed

SORRY, MEANT TO POST IN "CLASSIC REELS" or "FISHING BAMBOO FLY RODS". Moderator, pls move if I'm in the wrong post. Thks.
Anything wrong with the "new" Hardys other than that they are made in Korea? I use both the smaller Cascapedia models (2/3/4 and 5/6/7) on a couple of 4 and 5 weight bamboo rods, and I just ordered the Mark VII Bougle' in 3-1/4" for a new rod being built this year. The Korean made reels perfrom exactly as their British built predecessors, and I expect longevity to be the same. That said, I also have several of the British made Lightweights and Marquis, rnaging from 12-35 years old.

Eric

The Swede

Post by The Swede »

I guess newly produced reels that are either reissues of classics or new retro styled reels would fit a bamboo rod best.

A LA reel just wouldn't look good at all in my humble opinion.

I once put a Hardy Marksman reel on a bamboo rod. The reel is easy on the eyes, quite the looker for being modern. It looks the bomb on the graphite rod I'm usually pairing it with. But on a bamboo rod it just looked misplaced.

So in my world a bamboo rod, no matter if it's vintage or recently built, must have a reel that goes well with the classic and not to mention classy look of the rod. Hence no futuristic ufo reels. :)

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

My wife and I like our Lamson Litespeed reels on our cane rods. Our reels happen to be the older models with round holes in the spools and they are large arbor. If somebody wants to laugh about them, fine. That said, we are not fond of the reels that look like fancy car wheels, but, if you like the looks, why not even those? Remember, the fish don't care and neither does your fly line.

Of course, those who have seen my rods know that I use carbon-fiber for the ferrules and make 4-piece cane rods, so I am already out on the fringe.

Tim

Rasmussj
Master Guide

Post by Rasmussj »

I use the Ross Evo LT in Copper, Galvan Rush in Green and litespeed 2. I have had to add a bit of weight to balance out some of my bamboo rods.
Jason

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I use a few modern reels on bamboo if they have a classic-enough style, admittedly a totally arbitrary criterion. Aside from Hardys and Orvis CFOs, which you mentioned, I like the plain-Jane Orvis Battenkills, especially the click-pawl version:

I also like the Ross Cimarron (not the large arbor version); they're not made anymore, but are not too hard to find.
And the Vom Hofe-style reels by Godfrey, Bellinger (below), Ballan, etc. still look great on bamboo.
Here's one that might be an acquired taste, a Ryall. I think the wood inset looks good with bamboo, but maybe that's just me.

flying fisherman
Guide

Post by flying fisherman »

St. George reissue.Image

Double D
Guide

Post by Double D »

Got my first loop traditional reel 20 years ago, a 1.5 No 167. These days Loop had been a newcomer on the market coming up with the idea of large arbor. Since then I got another six of different sizes. I have stopped looking after new ones since Danielsson an loop split up some years ago and so I will fish my old ones until they fall apart. Disadvantages are: not enough weight to balance longer rods and very high risk to mess up the anodized surface of the spool.
If I would not have to pay 25% tax/VAT I got myself more solitude reels. Here I followed the opinion of Chris Carlin who recommends these reels. They go well with cane as they are mid arbor and have round holes in the spool. Made in USA and nicely priced!

Double D
Guide

Post by Double D »

(left to right): Solitude 4, Danielsson Dry Fly, Loop Traditional 1.5 on rods from W. Schott (blank), Gary Marshall, Rolf Baginski

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

Any reel you want to use should be your choice! But....a 7.5' or 8' bamboo can't be beat with a 3 3/8" Hardy St. George, Perfect or a smaller lighter LRH. You can't beat the sound either, in my opinion. My St. George has a larger arbor than most vintage reels, another larger arbor reel is a Pfluger 1774, cool, less expensive vintage reel. Happy reel hunting.

TroutmanSE
Master Guide

Post by TroutmanSE »

There's a couple really classy moderns out there that can complement a nice boo rod, and that's not counting the number of vintage imitation reels on the market. Abel has turned out some really nice clickers that can be had with several choices on finish and style. I like the matte ones with unperforated spools, they give kind of the same silouette as an old Uniqua but with a completely different attitude.
For inspiration I'd suggest a visit to the Fiberglass fly rodders forum. There's a lot of classy, modern reels there that would fare equally well on cane in my opinion.

I want to share a personal modern favourite:
The Spey Company 3" Trout.

mreagor

Post by mreagor »

I dont' have the experience of some on this board, but I believe the Peerless and similar reels match the best bamboo rods better than any other reels. Weight is definitely an issue, so when matching a reel you have to have the rod and cast it with the new reel as long as necessary to ensure match. I also agree that looks are important to most cane users, and I would not match a bamboo rod with a modern reel. That is easy to avoid, however, because very few of the new reels match a cane rod in terms of weight ratios.

tackleman
Guide

Post by tackleman »

Different strokes for different folks!
I have a rod that was built specifically for searrun cutthroat fishing. It has
an Ari t Hart uplocking real seat that holds an Ari t Hart round 2 reel, both in titanium colour, with stainless guides, steel grey thread with orange accents.
Surprise! - I love it!

tonkin67
Master Guide

Post by tonkin67 »

I also like the Speyco reels. The 3" comes in a wide version. They look great with brass foot , counter balance and handle. Now they offer a leaded finish. I really suggest you check out their web site.
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see . Marvin Gaye

JFL
Guide

Post by JFL »

For a modern classic that would look good on a cane rod I would look to Abel. They have a couple that comes to mind. But I too like to pair my rods with a classic Vom Hofe style reel.
Jan Fredrik
www.paintthewater.com
Paintthewater.com © 2024

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

The biggest problem I find is getting reels with feet that are secure on a bamboo rod with a cap and ring seat. I recently purchased a Tibor Spring Creek which sits well and looks good but the foot has already been marked.

PT48

TroutmanSE
Master Guide

Post by TroutmanSE »

Revisiting the thread I'll add that the Able made CFO looks really attractive, even without spare spools.

NedZeppelin
Guide

Post by NedZeppelin »

If you can find one the Kineya reels are pretty old school looking, and some of them are hefty enough to balance bamboo.

arfly
Guide

Post by arfly »

I like Ross Gunnisons on my bamboo rods.

offshore31
Guide

Post by offshore31 »

arfly wrote:I like Ross Gunnisons on my bamboo rods.
+1

Nice looking and quality reel

Return to “Classic Fly Reels”