Greatest flyreels - ever

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Greatest flyreels - ever

Post by Booman2 »

Brain twister for me. Speaking for bamboo rods only, I shy away from Bogdans and similar reels that drop huge value when scratched or marred in normal use and are subject to theft. Obviously, the early Pflueger Medalists are great American made reels with fantastic history. Ted Williams and many other experts loved them. Older Hardy Perfects and St. George reels are fantastic for a high-end reel that is still readily obtainable and easy on the eyes. If I were flying into a wilderness steelhead or salmon trip to B.C. or Alaska and needed a reel that will not fail me, it would be a Ross 3.5 or a Hardy St. John.
For graphite, I have no idea.

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

To my mind, I would nominate the Hardy/Orvis CFO, the Hardy JLH, the Tibor Riptide, and the Abel Super.

The CFO for reasons already mentioned, plus what it represents. Born at the start of the 1970s (like me) at a time of huge challenges in industrial manufacturing (especially in the U.K.), a reel made by Hardy in the U.K. but primarily for the US market, is to my mind something significant, in addition marking a step forward in design from the enclosed spool and full cage frame designs to an open frame and exposed rim type reel that is so familiar today.

The JLH, not because it is particularly novel, taking its design from a number of earlier Hardy reels, but significantly because it is somehow classical, yet modern at the same time, made from bar stock aluminium, but still a classic full cage frame, to me it epitomises what Hardy did really well, a classic, solidly made, utterly reliable reel. To me it also marks the end of the ‘old’ Hardy in 1992 (some would argue that was when they moved from Bondgate to Willowburn in the 1960s), when the last of the Hardy family (J.L.H.) retired from the company and manufacturing started moving rapidly to Korea.

It was at this point that a new era in reel making arrived on the scene, or at least really started to take hold, when suddenly CNC machining and anodising technology took a step forward and became more available, and interest in U.S. made Billy Pate, Tibor and Abel reels surged. For salt water, I would easily choose the Tibor Riptide, or an all-round reel smaller ‘trout’ reel I like the Abel Super 4N, with their smooth and powerful drags, solid build and anodising, and lighter weight (compared to competitors). These reels hit the ground running and never stopped for 25+ years until the latest sealed drag systems arrived and cork drags suddenly had too much inertia for those delicate saltwater tippets!

So those are my top three (or 4!) picks. They may not be the ‘best’, but I like them and each hold a particular significance for me in my fishing life thus far.

And speaking of sealed drag reels, my favourites are the Waterworks ULA Force SL and the Nautilus NV-G10 Monster…
Last edited by JabaliHunter on 01/02/22 10:38, edited 3 times in total.

Havana
Sport

Post by Havana »

I'm late to the thread but it has only made me think - "so many reels so little time".
My favorite overall - The Hardy Perfect (engineering and style)
Runners Up - Pflueger Medalist (bullet proof and handsome)
AL Walker (for craftsmanship)
Valentine 375 (for the engineering)
Hardy Fly/Feather/Lightweight ('cause they look the part)
Then again, I wouldn't turn down a Bogdan, Robichaud, or Vom Hofe - who would?
Some days I fish, the rest are wasted

Troutbot

Post by Troutbot »

For me, the greatest reel of all times are the ones I use the most; being my Abel Big Game Series reels, and a couple Ari Harts. The Abels have been absolutely bomb proof, the Ari Hart's, can be fussy but I like the design. My first Abel I won at a Trout Unlimited Auction, along with a Scott graphite rod, for the price of a raffle ticket.

I have collectable reels that have higher monetary value than the Abel reels, but I do not use them - the gun equivalent of safe queens. Steve Abel has enabled many wonderful days on the river.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Single reel with the most influence over me

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

The Orvis CFO fly reel is my favorite reel. Ever to this point. Of all reels I have handled.
Many reels are better - but none do like the CFO.

However this reel is so unique for the time frame...
It is the single reel with the most influence on me at the moment.
Especially this shot of how the foot is incorporated.

https://www.amff.org/portfolio/hewitt-reel/

The Hewitt Reel
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

As I look at my previous responses I still go with the Ross Gunnison. The Hardy perfect that I own has spool wobble and if I don't hold the handle away from the spool my thumb and forefinger will cause that unsightly circular wear. Give me the Gunnison any day.

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

Not needing a strong drag, I'll take a well running classic, and to me, that's a Perfect. Close second is a Hardy CFO.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I'm going out on a limb. In looking at the reels I now own after thinning the herd, I think this is probably the best built reel I own.

Abel TR2

Notice the counterbalance. None of my Hardy reels including the Perfect have that. The Douglas Argus does. It adds to the weight but is such a nice feature. There is absolutely no spool wobble in this reel either.

mcflyfish
Guide

Post by mcflyfish »

Folks...I keep coming back to my original Ross 3...shown in the pic...heavy use but mechanically "as new"...it may not be the 'greatest ever made' but it certainly is the greatest I have ever owned.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

mcflyfish, I'll see your Ross 3 and raise you a Gunnison from the 80's.

Another reel with a counterbalance.I'm curious as to why more reels don't have these. Are the makers just cheap?

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

Is a counterbalance an add on for an unbalanced reel? (tongue in cheek)

tabrods406
Guide

Post by tabrods406 »

Charlton 8450....just because.

Tom

Geoflaw

Post by Geoflaw »

25 years ago I decided to try to get into fly fishing. I bought an “AK” Hong Kong-made Medalist from one of the first Walmarts for $25. I’ve caught all kinds of fish in fresh water on it, including some big ones. It’s all beaten up but it works smooth as silk. It couldn’t be any better, so I wonder whether the American made reels were significantly better or are we just engaging in nostalgia?

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

Looking back at the joy your reel has given you over a quarter-century is in itself a pleasant form of nostalgia, is it not? It's worth noting that in the original post that started this thread a decade ago, Adrien nominated the Pflueger Medalist in all its forms - including the AK, made outside the USA - as the greatest-ever fly reel.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Yes, nostalgia indeed. Left to right, 1929 1394, 1939 1495, and 1940 1492
ImageImageImage

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Still the Ross Gunnison. I wish they would reintroduce it in a mid or large arbor.

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Post by 60InchDV8 »

There are many superlative selections here for trout and salmon reels. As they include most of my favs, I add some more subjective suggestions; some early raised pillar beauties that influenced modern reel designs.

the humble Meisellbach Featherlight skeleton reel.
the elegant Hardy Bougle.
the exquisite JVH raised pillar Leonard Salmon reel.

Regards from the Restigouche....Jim

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

Mike drop! My 6/0 EVH 504. I bought it from Hoagie years ago. He said the surviving label inside the case was very rare.

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

"Philbrook and Paine Makers pat apld for". Tough to argue with.

Back in the good old days when you could find this stuff fresh to the market.
Last edited by hatch on 05/11/22 22:10, edited 1 time in total.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

That is a beauty!!

Return to “Classic Reels”