Greatest flyreels - ever

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Greatest flyreels - ever

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Medalist, for all the listed reasons. My favorite reel, however is the Pflueger Gem, which is, of course, an even more affordable reel. Jay Edwards

bwoemerger
Guide

Post by bwoemerger »

As far as looks, I think the perfect style reels or the st george styles with a red agate take the cake for the best looking reels ever. As far as functionality, these older reels do not compete with the technology of today. The drag systems on most modern reels are far superior in smoothness and durability. Dont get me wrong, I love classic reels and their spring and pawl type drag systems but they cannot compete with a carbon brake system on the modern reels of today. Having said that though, I would take a vintage perfect or george over any modern reel anyday...lol!
Here is my favorite reel that I own, a Dingley 3inch red agate perfect....

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

I was so hoping someone other than me would nominate the Heddon 125. Of the reels I have the Heddon is NO.one. I love the sound of it much more than my Hardy and the Pflueger's. The click is what really drew me to the reel.

afgantrout
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by afgantrout »

bwoemerger wrote:As far as looks, I think the perfect style reels or the st george styles with a red agate take the cake for the best looking reels ever. As far as functionality, these older reels do not compete with the technology of today. The drag systems on most modern reels are far superior in smoothness and durability. Dont get me wrong, I love classic reels and their spring and pawl type drag systems but they cannot compete with a carbon brake system on the modern reels of today. Having said that though, I would take a vintage perfect or george over any modern reel anyday...lol!
Here is my favorite reel that I own, a Dingley 3inch red agate perfect....
...pretty much what bwoemerger said. :>) Oh, BTW, that being said, I will now report that I fished the South River in Waynesboro today... and I fished my Ted Godfrey...(shown earlier on this thread) with my Bill Harms "Primadonna"

Kelly L
Guide

Post by Kelly L »

Narcodog, One of these days I am gonna try to find a nice Heddon 125. It is not in my price range at the moment. Love the look. Never heard the sound, but I love a nice sound on a reel.

WatercolorMan
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WatercolorMan »

Never owned a perfect, or variation of one I didn't like.

Your Dingley 3inch red agate perfect is a fine example of a great idea going back to around 1888.
Many people spend years collecting variations of this one evolving design idea. I love to fish with them, old or new.

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyslinger »

x 2 on the perfects. I love them.

SideChannel
Master Guide

Post by SideChannel »

Flyslinger,

Wonderful photograph. Those reels have patina that almost glows.

Greg

bow river
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bow river »

flyslinger wrote:x 2 on the perfects. I love them.

:eek
thats a stunning pair of perfects
Come book a fishing trip with me on Canada's best trout river , the world famous Bow River , also other fine mountain rivers , I collect old Hardys , Dingleys, Youngs , also buy sell & trade

wefishcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wefishcane »

I am certainly not as qualified to give my opinion on this subject, however, I can tell you the one reel that surpassed any that I have ever laid hands on. One day while visiting my daughter in Seattle I spent an afternoon with Charles Vaden. He brought out a Maurice Noel Classic. I have never felt such perfection in a reel. I am still kicking myself that reel didn't leave with me.

Jim

bow river
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bow river »

my choice would be hardy , so so many collect them , that says allot in itself , i also love dingleys , the older stuff

in the newer reels , yep my choice would have to be for Maurice Noel
Come book a fishing trip with me on Canada's best trout river , the world famous Bow River , also other fine mountain rivers , I collect old Hardys , Dingleys, Youngs , also buy sell & trade

uwe
Guide

Post by uwe »

Well,

For new and outstanding reels I have to vote for Maurice Noel also. For classic reproductions I have to go with Chris and Wolfhard.

Cheers

Uwe

catskilljohn64
Guide

Post by catskilljohn64 »

Medalist all the way, for a working chump like me, its not only affordable, but it gives me some class I may not otherwise have.

CJ

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyslinger »

CJ, that entire picture just oozes class. Who you tryin' to put one over on? ;) Nice!

Dirk

DBCremeansRodCo
Sport

Post by DBCremeansRodCo »

did not mention Otto Zwarg, what a blow.merry x-mas

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Don,
Zwarg was mentioned in the context of Edward vom Hofe reels. Zwarg's reels were outstanding, for sure.

Queequeg
Sport

Post by Queequeg »

My vote goes to the Hardy Perfect but I suppose its an unanswerable question, Whats's the Greatest Fly Reel ever made? Depends on how you quantify the question, numbers produced? dependability? personal experience?

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Hmm... interesting question.

I think I'll go for a reel series that has proven its functionality, has good looks, readily available and is affordable for most of us.

I have been changing my mind between the Hardy Lightweight series and the Orvis CFO series, but I'll go for the Orvis CFO. Looks great on graphite as well as on bamboo.

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Hands Down: Pflueger Medalist

Sorry, no round line guards--every time I get one somebody else wants it more than me and I do like winding with my left hand.

BarryImageImage

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

About thirty years back a friend asked to borrow an Asia-made generic copy of the Medalist that I had picked up for ten bucks for bass fishing. My friend declared he was headed up to NY's Salmon River, which made me wince for several reasons, not the least being that I expected him to return home vanquished, with either a sack of reel parts or tales of woe. Or both. I wasn't actually worried.
At our next meeting he handed me the reel, none the worse for wear, while explaining what bruisers those salmon were and how much fun he had. See, even cheap copies of the Medalist are reliable as an anvil.

Return to “Classic Reels”