Greatest flyreels - ever

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Greatest flyreels - ever

Post by adrien schnee »

I enjoy our Forum, and I enjoy the camaraderie here. We have similar interests and share a passion for our hobbies of fishing and tackle. Even in threads like this one that seem like a bit of filler in between the seasons, I almost always come away with some insight and knowledge gained, thanks to the sharing of so many members with so much to offer.

So I would like to present this: in your opinion ( and I respect that's it's personal), what is the single greatest flyreel in history and why do you feel so?

I like rods and I like reels. Very much. I could list 30 or more reels which think are great. But for the sake of this thread, please share with us just one reel model, not even one maker, and why you think this reel deserves recognition. Photos (here I am useless), are treasured.

If I may make my nomination, it is the Pflueger Medalist.

Far from perfect. Slightly clunky. Line can get caught between the spool and frame gap pretty easily. Until the most recent version, can't be
palmed. Not the most elegant or most prestigious. Can seem heavy and
slightly unrefined compared to some others.

But... Probably the best made reel for the money for half a century. Fine enough for the likes of Everett Garrison, Paul Young, Dana Grey (as he shared with us generously in a recent thread on arbors) and many, many other notable figures.
A subdued but distinctive click on the retrieve and out-take.
Classical looks that harmonize nicely with cane rods.
Loads of history, American made (the most worthy versions at least).
A broad range of sizes from midge trout to grand salmon and light salt.
A continuous development of features and models. Although I have a weakness for the early round guard and metal latch cover models.
Supplied more fly fishermen than maybe any other reel with a quality, working reel.
A drag that is truly worthy of respect. A full range drag that is very
competent. A drag that is better than many reels 10 times the price.
It's humble, but does not demean to be seen on a fine rod.
It's a reel meant to work. And work. And work.

Is it my very favorite reel, or the one reel I would choose to keep if for some perverse and illogical reason I could only choose one? No.

But I would nominate the Pflueger Medalist, (for my own thread no less ;))
as the greatest fly reel ever made.
Last edited by adrien schnee on 05/08/22 09:01, edited 1 time in total.

dblspey
Guide

Re: Greatest flyreels - ever

Post by dblspey »

So many great reels, so many choices. Some complex, some simple, some expensive some not so much. I was inclined to go with the Hardy Perfect, such a robust design, so durable and yet so functional, certainly a classic design and quite accessible but in the end I submit the Bogdan Salmon series as my candidate for best reel ever.

I have owned one for less than 2 years but during that short time I have spent a few hundred wonderful days fishing with it. Most of the fishing I do is on western rivers pursuing salmon and steelhead with big spey rods. For this kind of fishing this reel is in a class by itself for looks, durability and function in summer's heat and winter's sleet, it gets dunked regularly for photo ops and it just gets back up, shakes off the water and finishes the day.

They are hard to find and not accessible to many but in my view the Bogdan Salmon multiplier is the best reel ever.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Adrien,
For myself, in my humble opinion, this is a simple question to answer.............Bogdan's Wide Baby Trout. Period.
The quintessential 4wt. trout reel. The bar had been set right there with the completion of this reel.
Mark

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Adrien,

Is this limited to production reels? Your description fits my Ross Gunnison perfectly but I don't think it is the greatest reel ever.

Sparquero
Master Guide

Post by Sparquero »

I will present the Hardy Perfect as the greatest fly reel ever.
This reel had, as far as we know, the single greatest influence on reel design just by getting reelmakers away from the winch mentality. Also the reel was under constant design review, and improvements, though slow to come compared to nowadays, were instituted periodically and always made the reel better, at least up to WWII.
This is arguably the most copied reel design ever and was very innovative at the time of introduction, placing a bearing or bushing between the spool and the winding plate, what an improvement when getting a big fish on the reel.
The Perfect is just at home on a spring creek or a salmon river.
The Perfect had as much influence on reel making as The Beatles had on rock + roll.
Best part is, it's still being made today after more than 100 years and there are still many Perfects being used today that are 100 years old.

stoneflyer
Master Guide

Post by stoneflyer »

For me, the long standing production, use, and survival of the Pflueger Medalists and Hardy Perfects showcases their legitimate claim as the greatest fly reels ever!

Both Medalists and Perfects came in all sizes, narrow or wide spooled, and were designed to take a beating and keep on clicking. These were reels for fishermen. Each also had their own hallmark features (Medalists sexy pillars and Yellow handle vs Perfects line guides, check work etc).

Lastly, you can identify these reels 100 feet away simply by the sound they make when they click!

Reliable, versatile, pretty, and affordable. USA and UK made. Definitely the greatest from both sides of the pond.

Adam

hdrmd
Master Guide

Post by hdrmd »

Hellmtflies: I am surprised anyone else likes the Wide Baby Trout as well as I do. But, I agree, it is the greatest reel for me. The St. George is a close second. DR

bigskybum
Master Guide

Post by bigskybum »

Adrien, I was thinking Medalist even before I finished reading your post, largely for the same reasons you had. In terms of it's impact on our sport, and its incredible lifespan, the Medalist is simply unmatched.

-Steve

black bear

Post by black bear »

I'm a Hardy fan.
Perfects, St. John, St George, and the myriad of other models the company has produced over the years put them at the pinnacle of commercial reel makers.
If I were to make a choice for the all round best I would have to go with the Marquis series of reels.
This was a very well thought out design. It comes with a palming rim, an adequate drag for most fish, and is either right or left hand wind simply by flipping a pawl.
No question that there are better reels as far as specific applications go but for economy and ease of use this series of reels is hard to beat.

solitaryangle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by solitaryangle »

Pick one? Man, that's just wrong :P

If I really had to choose one today, it would be a Dingley caged spool reel with a Wm Mills & Son stamp. Almost as aesthetically pleasing as a new lover, this reel represents the ultimate partnership of England reel-making creativity/ingenuity and the capitalistic vision of New York retail, at a time when our forefathers had firmly put fly-fishing in our minds in the Catskills and beyond.

My answer today is heavily influenced by an appreciation of the patina of early leaded alloy reels vs. hard rubber, etc. It also assumes I am fishing a 3/4 weight in the mountains and not targeting giant fish. That's why it's hard to just pick one.

Gary
Last edited by solitaryangle on 12/03/12 12:54, edited 1 time in total.

CM Vance
Master Guide

Post by CM Vance »

I'm with Stoneflyer. Not even a shadow of a doubt. They are so iconic that they are almost boring, but there is a reason for that...

henrysdad
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henrysdad »

I am a huge fan of the early Medalist and the Perfect. However, if we are seeking a reel that is bulletproof, beautiful and classic in appearance, with an exceptional drag, and priced well below comparable reels, my vote is for the Young "ex" series, and their variations...

Kelly L
Guide

Post by Kelly L »

Best reel maker of all time J.W. Young (I like all of them they've made, that I've seen, or used)
Best reel for overall use, and easily affordable The Medalist by Pflueger. At this time they are easily found, dependable, and rock solid reels. It is a crying shame that PFLUEGER won't sell parts for old reels. I have 6 different Medalist reels at this time. That tops the number of any other model of reel that I have.

slate river
Master Guide

Post by slate river »

Hardy Perfect, first place bar none. Second place, Pflueger Medalist. Best bang for the buck.
Bob

Rasmussj
Master Guide

Greatest flyreels - ever

Post by Rasmussj »

In my very humble opinion Hardy perfect and English made Orvis CFO. Best reel for the money has to be the Medalist
Jason

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

Greatest fly reels I'll never own:
Hewitt handmade
Edward vom Hofe Perfection
Hardy Barton (coulda shoulda bought one many years ago)

Greatest fly reels I do own:
Hardy St. George
Hardy Perfect
Pflueger Medalist (did not see all that Pflueger love comin')
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

My vote is for Hardy. Their dominance still reigns supreme to all others.
(just watch The Lost World of Mr. Hardy.)

you can get it here to by the way : http://www.wagnerrods.com/MrHardy.html

salmonfly
Guide

Post by salmonfly »

This is a great read, keep it coming guys.
**** I ‘LL BE BACK IN 5, GONE FISHING, YOU JUST KEEP READING THIS EVERY 5 MINUTE !! ****

Ken M 44
Administrator

Post by Ken M 44 »

Scrambling days - Abel TR

Safe days 5/6wt -
Ari 't Hart 'Aras'
South Creek Ltd.
Perfect LHW

Safe days - 4/5wt
Bogdan BT Wide
Hermann BT Wide

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Ken M 44 makes a good point. For "safe days" the Hermann Tiny Trout or the Winston Perfect and for "scrambling days" the Ross Gunnison.

Return to “Classic Reels”