Greatest flyreels - ever

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Greatest flyreels - ever

Post by reelsmith »

My vote for the greatest fly reel ever goes to ...

...the Edward vom Hofe "Peerless". Quite possibly the most copied/imitated fly reel of all time.

Dean.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

I agree with Dean. What a gorgeous and iconic design.

That said, for many of us the "greatest" fly reel is probably defined by a more obtainable alternative. Toward that end, I am personally a bit torn between the classic 3" Hardy St. George and the rightfully famous Hardy Perfect.

In the case of the latter, I just obtained a wonderful, post WWII 3 1/8" example with 95%+ leading. It's a "sans line guard" model and just "perfect" with a WF-5-F.

Oh, and did I mention it was less than 1/3 the price of the currently available new examples?

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

RyanAK
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RyanAK »

Really lovely reels all.

If we're talking greatest reels ever... well that very well may be different than what I personally enjoy fishing. I'd have to say that the Pflueger Medalist deserves a top ranking in this country just for the sheer numbers made. That's nothing to say about how robust they are, or the great quality of their drag. Again, the Perfect should be on any list. It certainly has stood the test of time. To that, I'd add the St. George - the model for so many successive derivatives that it boggles the mind. I'd say that these are the 'important' reels... the greatest ever.

Now... as for what I enjoy fishing... well that would be Thompsons and Heddon Imperials. The first is, dare I say, an improved Perfect. While the second is a St. George derivative.

R

henrysdad
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henrysdad »

I agree with Ryan on the Heddon Imperial, a reel that should have been part of this discussion all along.
Tom

kinzua
Guide

Post by kinzua »

Danielsson LW 4seven

This modern classic is often copied, but never matched. To me, the perfect 5 line reel. It has everything I want in a reel: large arbor, full cage frame, adjustable carbon fiber drag, rim control, and soft in/out click. Durable and dependable.
Last edited by kinzua on 12/23/12 23:54, edited 1 time in total.

Golfswithwolves
Guide

Post by Golfswithwolves »

I nominate the Ross San Miguel reel as the best.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Golfswithwolves wrote:I nominate the Ross San Miguel reel as the best.
Do we have a second?

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

+3 on the Heddon Imperial!

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Yes, I too believe the Heddon Imperial early model reel deserves an honorable mention. The handle does not have issues like the later release and the pawl is more durable IMO.

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

"Greatest....ever"?

Well, the Medalists are certainly the most bang for your buck ever.
The Perfects are the most professorial ever--they go well with tweeds.
Bogdan salmon reels are probably be best engineered ever.

But...(sound of envelope opening)...for best overall reel ever I agree with Moonshine and Dean: EVH. They have a combination of visual eloquence and a practical level of functional design that is....Peerless.

bb

Threadhead
Master Guide

Post by Threadhead »

I think the finest reels ever would be the Ari t Hart Remco, Hardy Perfect, and Baby Bogdan. These reels have timeless quality in design and function.

solitaryangle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by solitaryangle »

Robbie, very nice combination and beautiful photo!

Gary

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

The best at what? I can think of dozens of reels that are better (in precision, drag, looks, ect.). But, for the money I can't imagine any that gave the quality needed as a wonderful fishing tool and that was so far superior to anything offered in it's price range.

Of all the inexpensive reels that were produced in this country, its the only one I could fish the rest of my days and not feel that I was giving away anything in the quality of a day on the water.

Hands Down: Pflueger Medalist

Barry
Last edited by GRASSNGLASS on 12/27/12 18:56, edited 4 times in total.

WatercolorMan
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WatercolorMan »

I agree with jeffkn that “Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery” and his great insights into the origins of our favorite reels.

For me the combination of two of the earliest reels is my pick. The raised pillar reel, as originally executed by Philbrook & Paine for Leonard, combined with the Hardy Perfect making the Bougle. Its my number one choice for the freshwater fishing.

Being a lover of reels I have many others that I enjoy using and seeing hanging from my favorite rods. All of which have already been listed by others.

Alan

Southbranch
Master Guide

Post by Southbranch »

Another vote for the Medalist. My first fly reel was a Japanese copy of the 1495 that I purchased new in the spring of 1976 for about $7.00. I wanted to try fly fishing, but wasn't sure that I would like it, so I wanted to keep my initial expenditures to a minimum. (I paid $10 for a DT6F line and $18 for my first rod - an 8 1/2' St. Croix fiberglass.) The rod and line were worn out by the end of that summer, but the reel will last forever.

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

In terms of longevity, durability, "classic" vented fly-reel look, subdued in and out click, availability and, above all, affordability, ladies and gentlemen, the Pflueger Medalist. I agree with the many here who feel the same way, with a personal preference for the early models with the round line guard and metal latch cover -- my suspicion is that most of you share that preference. Not the greatest drag, but more than adequate, and not palmable, but hey, you get to use your other fish-fighting skills!

On top of all that, it was a 1492, the smallest reel I have, that caught my biggest speckled dace of 2012, a 21-incher, so I can't help but love the Medalist:

Kenneth

alex_ct

Post by alex_ct »

IMHO, if I look at it this way: What flyreel would I fish for the rest of my life if I could choose just one: ATH Aras for trout/fresh and Charlton/Mako for salt..The latter not spoken much about as a classic of course, but in 50 years this forum will likely be full of posts on classic Jack Charlton reels much like Dingleys and Pfleugers today, I think.

Kelly L
Guide

Post by Kelly L »

Kenneth,beautiful reel. That fish is simply outstanding too! :-)

nativetrout
Master Guide

Post by nativetrout »

I think the CFO should certainly be in the running. I put my vote on the prefect and the Bougle at the top of my list for looks and performance but the CFO is so very iconic in it's own right.It's also just a all around GREAT reel. It looks good on any rod you put it on. It fishes well, sounds great, looks good(but not too good), fits most every reel seat, comes in every size, and its a reel your not scared to rest against some river rocks while unhooking a bruiser. I love these reels.

flying fisherman
Guide

Post by flying fisherman »

My vote goes for the HARDY PERFECT...........functional, dependable, and very pretty !

Dan

Return to “Classic Reels”