St George 3" differences in size? Why?

A place to discuss those classic and vintage fly reels, classics include modern variations of those of vintage. Please add your photos, stories or just join in conversation about your reels.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

wilbach1
Sport

St George 3" differences in size? Why?

Post by wilbach1 »

I have two three inch St George reels three latch of slightly differing age - why is one distinctly more than 3" when the other is more or less on 3"?
The larger one is almost a three and one eight which of course was never made.
Any ideas, does this occur commonly?ImageImageImageImage

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Last edited by cdmoore on 09/04/15 10:48, edited 1 time in total.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: St George 3" differences in size? Why?

Post by jhuskey »

wilbach1, the larger of the two reels is obviously either a factory reject, or possibly even a forgery - in either case, little collector value. Since I could not be classified as a collector, I may be willing to own it if you are ever so inclined... :D It truely looks like a terrific fishing reel!!!
John

stlhdr1st
Guide

Post by stlhdr1st »

without wishing to appear rude!are you actually measuring the diameter through the center of the reel?it appears on both pictures that the tape is off center.happy new year!

Reeldane
Master Guide

Post by Reeldane »

Can you use the spools on either one - iow are the difference on the frame or also on the spool ?
:rolleyes

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

I once had a 1960's(?) St George and a 1990's reissue version.

Then one day I acquired a spare spool (looks like a 1960's). It only fit the reissue reel....

J Gustavsson
Master Guide

Post by J Gustavsson »

I know this a very old thread but since I just found it i would like to add what I've heard about this. According to a very knowledgable person I talked to The Hardy workers got a sandcasted reel frame lump to turn the reel from. Sometimes the lump had flaws, like airpockets, and they had to turn off a little more. Or maybe sometimes they just had a bad day... :) So the reels can vary in size quite a bit. I recently bought a 3-1/8" perfect that was just under 3" in diameter. I dont think there is anything suspicious about the reels in the pics they just vary in size. Actually I dont think I have many hardy perfects that are spot on the supposed size. :)

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Great info J. Both reels in the OP are simply wonderful examples of a great reel that has stood the test of time. I wish I had one as nice, and old.

John :pipe

bvandeuson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bvandeuson »

jhuskey wrote:wilbach1, the larger of the two reels is obviously either a factory reject, or possibly even a forgery - in either case, little collector value. Since I could not be classified as a collector, I may be willing to own it if you are ever so inclined... :D It truely looks like a terrific fishing reel!!!
John
There are so many little variations in otherwise identical old reels, it can be very difficult to tell a forgery from the genuine article. I think the above statement speaks for itself.

Factory variations appear in many products, and for many reasons. Sometimes supply side issues, loss of a valuable worker when hand fitting was DE-rigeur, a change to facilitate manufacturing, etc.

To an uninformed collector, a vintage telegraph key I have might be seen as a forgery, or misguided upgrade attempt, yet the factory (still in business) has indicated it was made that way to keep production up in spite of a supply side shortage of parts for the new model. It's a mix of lower grade and higher grade parts, not normally done.

BB

Return to “Classic Fly Reels”