Is this the scarcest Sharpes fly rod?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Cork & Cane
Guide

Re: Is this the scarcest Sharpes fly rod?

Post by Cork & Cane »

I've had my '79 for about 40 years, the bronze/brass ferrules are doing fine. I like it for throwing hoppers with a #6 which I will be doing this afternoon.
Of the Sharpes rods, I particularly like the 7' #5, and consider them very good value for the money.
Peter

MaccFly

Post by MaccFly »

40yrs ago Sharpe's added an 87 (8ft 7ins) to their staggered ferrule series, the Royal Tribute, issued to celebrate the wedding of Diana & Charles. Only 100 were made, No's 1 & 2 went to the Royal couple but I also have a pair, mint & unfished (I have other Sharpes rods that do see the water), mine could now be the scarcest Sharpes fly rods :-O

Mahseer
Guide

Post by Mahseer »

One I've never seen before is currently on eBay UK: 7', 2/1, spliced, no line rating, unusual reel seat for a short Sharpe, and you'd call it a staggered ferrule (meaning sections of unequal length), but for the fact that it is spliced. Seems to be a custom job, and I wonder what the customer was thinking?

BTW MaccFly, you're not the only member with a Royal Tribute, see post #10 in this thread, but I guess 2 beats 1 :)

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

pontiac787 wrote:
07/10/13 17:32
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the purpose of having two different length pieces with an extender?
The shorter butt section along with the extender equals the length of the longer tip and protects the tip during transport. Most European rods of an age only came with one tip and with a canvas rod bag, no tube, hence the need to protect the tip.

For further information on the excellent staggered ferrule design search Charles Ritz.

I have in the past relinquished my ownership of Sharpes, Constable and P&M rods, shoulda’ kept them!😩

Richard, the fishin’ Pole 🇵🇱
Random Casts

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Post by GMflyf1sh »

I have a couple Constable Wallop Brooks which were also staggered ferrule - I did not see the Sharpes version when I lived there.

Gregg

redietz
Master Guide

Post by redietz »

Random Casts wrote:
05/03/22 16:56
pontiac787 wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the purpose of having two different length pieces with an extender?
The shorter butt section along with the extender equals the length of the longer tip and protects the tip during transport. Most European rods of an age only came with one tip and with a canvas rod bag, no tube, hence the need to protect the tip.
You do realize that you responded to a nine year old thread? And that the actual answer to the question is "to not have a ferrule where you want the rod to bend the most."

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

redietz wrote:
05/04/22 07:04
Random Casts wrote:
05/03/22 16:56
pontiac787 wrote:
You do realize that you responded to a nine year old thread? And that the actual answer to the question is "to not have a ferrule where you want the rod to bend the most."
The next sentence in that response which doesn’t appear in your quote says it all. Isn’t that what Charles Ritz and a host of later European rod makers advocated?🥸

Richard, the parabolic Pole 🇵🇱
Random Casts

Mahseer
Guide

Post by Mahseer »

redietz wrote:
05/04/22 07:04
And that the actual answer to the question is "to not have a ferrule where you want the rod to bend the most."
I think it’s a bit more complicated than that. After all, a 3 piece rod would serve that purpose.

Incidentally, one strand of the history suggests staggered ferrule rods were first developed in England by Terry Thomas, who, as I understand it, worked with Milwards and Edgar Sealey, in developing staggered ferrule rods in both cane and glass. He was also an angling writer and co-host of a popular TV angling programme, back in the day.

Santafecino
Guide

Post by Santafecino »

Folks--
Is it true that the Sharpes 83, 85, and 88 all used the same tip tapers and only differed in the butt section? I read this somewhere and now I can't find it, so maybe I dreamed it. If true, it would have been a good idea.
--Santafecino

nunc
Guide

Post by nunc »

so I'm scrolling thru the index, and I think "Why is he afraid of his rod … I've got a couple, but I don't remember being frightened by them … maybe a little startled when I actually won an auction, but not really frightened … "

note to self: check date of follow-up w/ ophthalmologist

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”