Flyshops Bygone - And Still Missed

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Oxbow
Master Guide

Flyshops Bygone - And Still Missed

Post by Oxbow »

I searched but did not find anything like this so here goes. I feel that going into a fly shop, for whatever reason, is a part of the entire fly fishing experience that should not be missed if possible. I actually look forward to visiting a shop in the area of where I am fishing to shoot the crap – how’s the fishing – what’s hatching - best times to be out – got any new super/duper invisible leaders guaranteed not to break – what’s on sale, and whatever other discussions already going on I decide to poop into. I always usually buy a baker’s dozen flies, even though I am already carrying four fly boxes of them with more in reserve, just to support them being there for information and good local patterns.

I picked up these habits early in my fly fishing life when I started going into Jack’s Rod and Fly Shop in Roscommon, Michigan around 1977. The other day I was thinking about those first years and how I miss going in to talk to Jack (deceased in 1985). You always knew, before you walked into the door, that you were in for an experience that you would not forget. After your first or second visit, you would prepare yourself before you walked in in his door, but for what you didn’t know. You see, Jack was quite a character – in a really good way, and a lot of fun. So I figured out quickly that it was a special kind of treat to go visit his shop, never guessing what would happen. There are those who have way, way more experience with Jack than I and are infinitely more qualified to talk about him. Rod maker Mark McKellip always has me rolling on the ground with his stories. Everyone knew Jack and his wife Ann who tied all the flies for the shop. There was an article about them in Fly Fisherman magazine, probably in the early 80’s or late 70’s I am guessing if you want to search. This is just my way of reminiscing about the good old days and giving some respect to an early mentor.

I will mention a couple of things here I remember from those early years. Jack was quite a joker. I remember a bow saw hanging on the wall of his shop with a bike chain attached to the ends with a sign underneath that said “Irish Chain Saw”. I am pretty sure Roscommon had a lot of Irish in those days. Also on the wall was a pair of heavy duty boots, like logger’s boots, with the sole tied on backwards. When he saw me staring at them he told me they were for walking into a secret spot so that if someone saw the boot prints they would think it was a trail leading out, not in. I really should have taken pictures of all the funny things he had hanging on those walls. The article in Fly Fisherman talked about the two Orvis rods for sale on the rack, one with and one without the Orvis name on it (he rubbed it off), otherwise identical. He had some customers test the “Orvis” rod first and then test the un-named Orvis rod. When he asked them which one they wanted to buy, they would typically reply they wanted the Orvis rod as that rod was a much superior rod to that terrible off-brand rod. His reply was something about a fool spending an extra $400 just for a name – in a joking way of course – I think. You had to have thick skin around Jack at times but it was all in fun. It appeared the smarter you talked in his shop the more he zinged you. That must be why he really never got me too bad as I was always looking for any information I could get out of him, not dishing it out.
Jack made his own leaders and fly dope. To my knowledge he actually made the leader material and it was an olive green color. I especially liked them for the way they turned over and stretched. I moved to Montana in 1983 and Jack made me up a bunch of leaders that I used for years. At some point I decided to save what I had left for special occasions (pictures below). He had a separate workshop out back of the fly shop and we would talk there for hours while Ann ran the fly shop. Maybe Jack and Ann were a throwback to the fly shops of the 30’s, 40’s and 50’s that were such a creative bunch. Nothing against the fly shops today, but I sure miss Jack and the experience of visiting with him.
So if you have a special fly shop you like, stories, experiences about them you want to share, please do so.

Some links to Jack and Ann Schweigert.
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/article ... 100830.php
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feature ... /part2.php
http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatche ... deschaine/

Last edited by Oxbow on 10/29/13 05:58, edited 1 time in total.

barrydheller
Sport

Re: Flyshops Bygone - And Still Missed

Post by barrydheller »

When I think of a fly shop, I think of Flyfishers Paradise in State College, PA. Everybody there knows alot more than me, and they are always willing to share their knowledge. I am lucky to have visited lot of shops across the US but this one really stands out as a true fun and learning experiance. Not fancy, but all about everything fly fishing!

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Oh how I long for the good old fly shops. Thanx for the reminder of what once was. I too had two shops back in N.J. that gave me a similar experience years ago and the shops in the Catskills and Poconos were awesome. The great shops kept the best fly tying materials in coffee cans and shoe boxes. The shops today are way to sterile and cookie cutter types. No character. Today they all sell the same stuff. You can walk into any fly shop in the country and if you were blind folded you could be anywhere in any shop. Oh how I miss those Saturday mornings in the shop and BS'en for hours over fishing, flies and lies. Thanx again for the reminder. :hat

Shops; Ed Oliver's Orvis - Clinton, N.J.
Les Shannon's Fly & Tackle Shop - Califon, N.J.
Last edited by Hellmtflies on 10/29/13 08:44, edited 1 time in total.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

We have lost a bunch of them over the years. Summit Fly Shop in St. Paul and Bentley's Outfitters in Eden Prairie in particular. Both were nice well equipped shops.

Bob Mitchell's Fly Shop is the longest running act in the Twin Cities. The ownership recently changed hands. The new guy is doing well. Another shop just opened in the Twin Cities. It is called Mend Provisions. I stopped in there Saturday for the first time. It is a nice shop with some big ticket items. They had one bamboo rod from a local maker that looked nice.
Last edited by PYochim on 10/30/13 05:12, edited 1 time in total.

Slate Drake 9
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Slate Drake 9 »

barrydheller wrote:When I think of a fly shop, I think of Flyfishers Paradise in State College, PA. Everybody there knows alot more than me, and they are always willing to share their knowledge. I am lucky to have visited lot of shops across the US but this one really stands out as a true fun and learning experiance. Not fancy, but all about everything fly fishing!
I've been in this shop several times over the last 20 or so years and can honestly say that my experience is the exact opposite of yours every time. I do what I can to have everything I need when I'm in that area so I do not need to go in there.
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

fishbum
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fishbum »

Anybody remember Dame Juliana in Columbus, Ohio or Jorgensens in Fort Wayne, Indiana?

Jerry

fisherman911
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fisherman911 »

Ed Oliver's Orvis shop on main street in Clinton NJ late 1960's to about 1985. On the corner by the dam across from the old red mill hard on the south branch of the of the Raritan River. Those were the days when rt. 78 stopped at Clinton and north west jersey was still a bit of a back water. Bought my first two cane rods there plus it was the only place around for 100 packs of mustad hooks and other good stuff. At one point Edl tried to sell me a very nice Heddon 2/2 7.5 01/2 rod for $100.00 but I just did not have the $ as a poor grad student. Those were the days.
Last edited by fisherman911 on 10/29/13 10:38, edited 1 time in total.

Silver rat
Guide

Post by Silver rat »

I certainly miss "The Fly Stretch" in Plymouth, PA. Stan Cooper, Sr. always had some sage advice for anyone willing to listen.

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Great thread - unfortunately, the best of shops may be in days gone...
Fly Fisherman's Bookcase - ah, in those early years... lucky to afford one Fenwick 705 - beautifully tied downwing caddis...just stared at the Cummings glass in the rack...

Housatonic Meadows Fly Shop - downright wonderful to wander into that shop and talk a bit as the waters did the daily rise for power and the trout switched on then off... What a beautiful spot in a gorgeous place in the Northeast...always had beautiful ties and good advice for those picky Housey browns...

waltryan1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by waltryan1 »

Hunter's in New Boston NH. Not only a great fly shop but home of the HMH vise.
Walt

doloresboy
Master Guide

Post by doloresboy »

Can't stand fly shops. Haven't found one in Colorado worth a rats ass. Mostly arrogant graphite nymph fishers staffed by 20 year old high school drop outs who think they can fish better than you.

But, that's just me.

Matt

Royalpark
Master Guide

Post by Royalpark »

Stoddard's and Asa Osborn in Boston. I was never in Osborn's but my mentor often
mentioned it. Stoddard's was a old school shop, Ed was a great guy.

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

Mark - you're welcome.
Seems a bit of a common theme with some the newer shops and the young guns they staff. Although, every once in awhile I meet a really cool youngster who is not looking at me like I'm his gramps and is very helpful. If I recall, Jack's shop did not carry any high priced cloths for sale - just fishing vests and equipment. If Jack didn't carry it, you didn't need it.

Pafisherman
Sport

Post by Pafisherman »

A few here from So. Central PA will remeber Cold Springs Anglers in Carlisle, PA. Herb is truly a charactor himself. When you got to know him he was a very knowledgeable guy. If you wanted to have a little fun you just needed to start talking about fishing an greenweenie or san juan worm.

Bill A

pmag
Master Guide

Post by pmag »

Never was in Jim Deren's Anglers Roost in NYC but I sure think it was a hell of a place. I guess Deren was a crank but knew his stuff. I have a glass rod made for his shop, a 7 1/2' 3 wt., that I highly prize both historically and as a fine fishing tool.

I guess someone has picked up the name since Jim died. The quality has been lost in the years. Too bad.

redband02
Guide

Post by redband02 »

Kaufmann's Streamborn in Tigard, OR. I would stop in there on the way to the Nehalem area to fish with my brother in law. I also miss their paper catalogs. I would get one every year and find all kinds of stuff I couldn't do without. Lots of good advice from behind the counter. Bought some great flies there too.

cheffy
Master Guide

Post by cheffy »

Ghekes in Detroit not just a fly shop but old school sporting goods in general. Bought my first shotgun there. first fly rod blank and parts. Old man Gheke walked me thru the build. when back all the time. I remember wanting some duck decoys and the old guy crawling up in the attic and tossing them down to me. Scuffed wooden floors and the smell of pipe tobacco.

reidrods
Guide

Post by reidrods »

Royalpark,

I'll second Stoddards in Boston. Being just across the Commons from my plumbing shop, I really miss the time spent talking to Ed, Arthur, and Phil.
And before that, Vad's in Syracuse, NY.

Willis

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

cheffy wrote:Ghekes in Detroit not just a fly shop but old school sporting goods in general. Bought my first shotgun there. first fly rod blank and parts. Old man Gheke walked me thru the build. when back all the time. I remember wanting some duck decoys and the old guy crawling up in the attic and tossing them down to me. Scuffed wooden floors and the smell of pipe tobacco.
cheffy - thanks for reminding me. I had forgotten about Ghekes. That place was like stepping back in time - really nice people.

wineslob
Master Guide

Post by wineslob »

Fish First! in Chico is close to "old school". Good info, a so-so inventory, friendly staff. All the other shops either closed, have much reduced inventory, or are so over-priced I feel like the the old line "if you have to ask how much it is, you can't afford it" applies.
I get leaders and line at...............Walmart.

The shop I miss has been gone for probably 20 years. A little place in Chester Ca. It was awesome, till the owner decided to go "Bass" and dissapeared.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”