Do you still have your first bamboo rod?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Do you still have your first bamboo rod?

Post by jhuskey »

[quote="Tim Marchetti"]I do still have the my first bamboo rod and I did build it. However it is not the one that I recently acquired. I built my first rod in 1985 while in college on planing forms that I machined in highschool. It is a 7ft. 5wt. with one tip that start out life at 7'6" with bamboo sleeve over ferrules and copper tubing slide bands and guides off a broken rod someone had given me. The thin bamboo ferrule broke after about a year. I stripped the rod and cut it down to it's present length, installed a $3 aluminum locking reelseat and plated brass ferrules. This is still my favorite rod to fish and it has been used hard.
Tim, a tip of the hat to you Sir! That is a very impressive start for such a young man. Really like the reel seat and grip - handsome simplicity!
I have only been into bamboo for a few years now but yes, I have my first - Orvis DeLuxe, 6'6" 2/2 made in 1957. I'll be all "charlton heston" about this little gem. Great thread! :pipe
John
Forgot to say, it's the rod in my avitar

gmflyfish
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gmflyfish »

I still have a shakespear I refinished almost 40 years ago. I have not had it out in years.

Gregg

Santafecino
Guide

Post by Santafecino »

Yes. In about 1962 I paid $40.00 to Norm Thompson for an 8 foot 2/1 Asbjorn Horgaard fly rod, an Intrepid reel, and a DT8F line. I still have the rod and reel. I caught a good many brook trout in the Adirondacks on that rod, now more than 50 years old. My cousin Cindy bought the same outfit at the same time; she still has the rod and reel. Last summer I cleaned the ferrules for her and tried the rod. Earlier this year I decided to make up for the $5.00 or so I saved for not getting the 2-tip model in 1962. I bought another of the same rod on eBay (lots more than $5.00), then asked a noted Portland, OR rod builder to make the tips both work (he did it beautifully). The rod still shoots a WF7F very nicely. It's quite pretty, with light golden cane, green wraps, and half-Wells grip. I thought it didn't have enough guides, but it does shoot a good cast, so . . . Since then I have amassed more rods than I can count. Four dozen or so. No, more than that. Fly fishing is a passion, and passions have their own logic. I could not give this rod up.--Santafecino

Mister Bill
Master Guide

Post by Mister Bill »

Not no, but the other no.

In the beginning, I was so uninformed about bamboo, just what I could read in magazines and catalogues. I had no one to turn to. I bought my first one at a local swap meet for $200. It said “Orvis Battenkill” on the side and not much else, so I thought I had made the deal of the century. I tried for months to make it cast, but it was a beast, and the reel would not stay on. I finally had the bright idea of calling Orvis, and they were very informative. The man said, “Mister, you have yourself a nice spinning rod.”

I hope my wife never finds out.

Bill

Pafisherman
Sport

Post by Pafisherman »

Yes... My wife had Wyatt Deitrich make a 7' 4wt for my 50th birthday. I still have and fish this rod and never will let it go..
Bill A

Hsimmons
Guide

Post by Hsimmons »

I have recently stripped, turned a new cork grip, replaced a split ferrule and am ready to re-varnish and rewrap my first fly rod, an old worn out 9-foot Shakespeare that was given to me by my next door neighbor back in the early 70's. He was a consummate outdoorsman, stopped short by heart disease. As a teen I learned to fly fish with that rod and used it in all sorts of appropriate and inappropriate situations. I never managed to break it and have dragged it along with me ever since, though it hasn't seen the water in 30-years. I intend to fish it next summer.

Tim Marchetti
Master Guide

Post by Tim Marchetti »

Tim, a tip of the hat to you Sir! That is a very impressive start for such a young man. Really like the reel seat and grip - handsome simplicity!
I have only been into bamboo for a few years now but yes, I have my first - Orvis DeLuxe, 6'6" 2/2 made in 1957. I'll be all "charlton heston" about this little gem. Great thread! :pipe
John
Forgot to say, it's the rod in my avitar[/quote]
Thanks John
"they're just fish poles" Tom Bailey

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

Yup. It's a 5'9" Orvis made up by me from blanks purchased from Orvis. Dates to about 1967 or so IIRC. It's a delightful taper to fish and handles either a 3 or a 4 very nicely. I've redone the grip and seat a couple of times, and it now has a nice, light aluminum cap and ring with a walnut spacer. I pair it with either a Marquis 5 or a CFO II

It was purchased during that time of inamorata with "midge" rods as popularized by Arnold Gingrich among others. I used the rod regularly on the Catskill rivers in the late 60s/early 70s; then more or less retired it during my enchantment-with-graphite years. It's been reactivated a couple of times in recent years with grandchildren, and by me when the situation is right.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Double D
Guide

Post by Double D »

Well,

four days of fun reading your nice posts is more I have expected- thanks a lot.
Once more I have realised how important taper, maker and dealer to you in the US is. The taper identification has never been important to me nor to the makers when it came to choose a rod. We simply did (or do) not have the American raw models available for comparison here. But I guess lots of (my) rods from the beginning 1990s were/are based on Garrison (through the famous book by Carmichael).

Dirk

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

Yep I sure do, It is a RedWing that my Dad gave me in 58". Still love that rod and fish it.

BillA
Master Guide

Post by BillA »

I do, too. It's a Hardy Palakona 6' for 5wt. It's a snappy little rod my wife gave me for my birthday in 1980. It's a great Catskill rod and I fished it a lot this summer.

reidrods
Guide

Post by reidrods »

Yes, I still have my first bamboo rod, which is also the first bamboo rod I built. Begun in 1977, it took about a year and a half from start to finish and that's how long it takes to combine every rodmaking mistake in one rod; glue lines, tear-outs at every node, cracked nodes, resourcinol glue not filed off blank well, math error on taper, horrible varnish and wraps. I love that rod and the excitement that I felt while making it is what I seek on every rod I build. When that goes away, I'll stop making rods.
Willis

Livingstone
Master Guide

Post by Livingstone »

Hi, first rod made or first cane rod owned? First one I made my son has, first one owned,a Ted Knott 7 1/2' # 5 that I will never part with. They both have very special memories, my sons first dry fly trout on his rod and just about any trout caught on my Knott. Ted was a gentle,gentle man. Livingstone

WatercolorMan
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WatercolorMan »

Yes it's a 9' 2 1/2F Heddon Black Beauty & I get it out on the water once in a while still just for fun. It handles those larger fish real well. Fished it hard in the 60's and 70's when it was the only rod I had.

Bill M.
Sport

Post by Bill M. »

Yeah. But it has only been 15 years. A 7.5 rod built on a T&T Special Trouter blank. Nice rod, but I fish mostly my 8' rod now.

wineslob
Master Guide

Post by wineslob »

Yes, the 1934 Heddon #13 9' 2 3/4 F that brought me here. It sat in a closet for close to 20 years before I looked at it and decided to figure out what I had and "restore" it.

Posted this before, but this is my first fish caught with it:

It's big, slow, and will tire your arm out after a while, but it's just "nice" to fish.

WhoBeBoo
Guide

Post by WhoBeBoo »

Yes I do...it's an H&I Governor that, as they say in Southeast Missouri where I'm from, was "give" to me.

spruce grouse
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by spruce grouse »

I take back what I wrote on a previous page. That was my first fishable bamboo rod. My first bamboo rod was given to me by my father-in-law. He had been a fisherman earlier in his life, mostly surf casting on the Vineyard. He gave me all his fishing tackle when I joined the family. This included a Hardy rod built in 1921 based on the serial number. He was a doctor and bought the rod from the wife of a patient who had either passed on or was no longer fishing.

Typed on a piece of tape put on the tube was:

9/4/71. This is the Hardy rod purchased from Mrs. _________. The regular tip has been shortened and the metal tip refitted. There is another tip, which broke at the butt, and a new ferrule was fitted. I would not depend on this rod.

I so wanted to fish the rod, never having fished bamboo before, but it is a real noodle. All the expert opinions I got when showing the rod came down to two words - wall hanger. If I ever get that cabin in the woods, that's exactly what I'll do.

Double D
Guide

Post by Double D »

Hy spruce grouse,

do you know the model's name of that Hardy and is there a number stamped on?

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

I still have the 206 Light Trout by Art Weiler that I bought at Ray's Sport Shop in New Jersey in 1980. It carries number 27. Art was still teaching in Bound Brook at the time, and called his enterprise Heritage Rod Company. It remains straight as a pin.
I plan on putting it on Ebay, as I have replaced it with a PHY Perfectionist that I made.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”