Good book on Bamboo history

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

seabass14
Guide

Post by seabass14 »

I am very new to this bamboo game and I must admit that I find myself thinking about it more and more (including dreaming both at work and at sleep). I have picked up a few rods now from well known makers but I have seen so many other beautiful rods that come from makers that I am not familiar with. I would love to learn more about these different makers. I also know that many of the makers that are referred to on this board worked for various other rod companies before they went out on their own. This brings me to my question.

Is there a resourse such as a book or website(besides this fine website) where I can find out information about the history of makers and bamboo in general?

Thanks again for all the information you share on this website it is very interesting and fun to read.

Seabass

pvansch1
Administrator

Post by pvansch1 »

Casting a Spell by George Black
He frequents this site as canebrook.
Jeff Hatton's (Gnome) book - just can't remember the name of it.
Pete

BobB
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BobB »

"Classic Rods and Rodmakers" by Martin Keane
"Classic Rodmakers Past and Present" by Dick Spurr
"Colorado Classic Cane" by Dick Spurr and Michael Sinclair
"Heddon The Rod with the Fighting Heart" by Michael Sinclair
"Classic and Antique Fly-Fishing Tackle" by A.J. Campbell
"The Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook" by Michael Sinclair

Well, that's a few off the top of my head that should keep you occupied for a while!
Bear in mind that some of these books are no longer in print and have become rather pricey! A few are still readily available on used book sites via Google or your favorite search engine.

Hopeful that this is the type of information for which you are looking?

Bob

explorer48

Post by explorer48 »

"Fishing Bamboo", John Gierach

ThirdMeadow
Guide

Post by ThirdMeadow »

"Splitting Cane, Conversations With Bamboo Rodmakers" by Ed Engle profiles 16 contemporary bamboo rodmakers and their rods. The book is in print and modestly priced.

seabass14
Guide

Post by seabass14 »

Thanks guys, I have noticed that most books by Sinclair are a bit pricey. I will look into some of these books listed. As always thanks for the info.

Seabass

pcg
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by pcg »

Key one is "Casting A Spell."

The rest are technical--Black's book gives you a wonderful sweeping historical sense of where it started and where we are now.
Author:
"Playing With Fire, The Life and Fly Rods of E.W. Edwards"
"D Is For Dingley, The Master Reelmaker" (co-author, Brian Taylor)

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

It's hard to improve on the lists above. Jeff Hatton's book is called "Rod Crafting." It's a great compilation of color photos accompanied by facts about classic bamboo rods.

Cane Head
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Cane Head »

Of the books listed above, if I had to pick one that was "broad and sweeping", it'd have to be Keane's "Classic Rods and Rodmakers." While somewhat dated, it covers a broad spectrum of makers from east coast to west. You won't find the new makers but it's give a lot of info on past. Like anything dealing with bamboo, and including most of the books listed above, it's pricey.

Black's book is a good read, but limits itself to Edwards, a smattering of FE Thomas, and some on Sam Carlson. It isn't a
guide book and doesn't discuss models and such.

Spurr's "Classic Rodmakers Past and Present" is nothing more than short bios on a host of rodmakers - nothing really there about
specific rods.

One not listed is Schweibert's "Trout Tackle II" which is the fishing tackle excerpt from his 2 volume magnum opus "Trout".
It's paperback and you can often find it a great price, but once again it's about bamboo and folks fight with money over such things.

Good luck and don't die from sticker shock.

Cane

RonsRods
Sport

Post by RonsRods »

Trout (2 volume) by Schwiebert
Keanes Classic Rods and rod makers

Masters Guide -Garrison\Charmichael
Dickerson-Stein
Heddon-Spurr
Colorado Classic Cane-Sinclair\Spurr
Bamboo rod restoration-Sinclair

Fishing Tackle-Graham Turner
The House that Hardy Bulit

tedgolden
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by tedgolden »

Dated, but well written is Harmon Henkin's Fly Tackle. Often overlooked, I think this one is must read stuff for a beginner.

kmgunn
Guide

Post by kmgunn »

Patrick- I might argue that Casting A Spell does not really give a broad context, but covers his chosen cross-section of the evolution of the craft, and misses some of the most historically important makers and events. I think that Keane's book (although imperfect) is the only book that actually hits most of the major makers of the 20th century. He of course misses some of the magic of the late 19th century, but that is why we have Hatton....

I own George's book, and I think its unique in its ability to capture the spirit of the makers and the common goal of perfection. I also enjoyed it as a read. He accomplishes a tough task in making the unknown personalities of Leonard and Edwards engaging. But he misses way too much in history and context to call it the "key" book.

I think all of the books listed are useful for their purpose (including Henkin). If I had to choose only one reference for understanding 20th century bamboo in America, it would be Keane.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Trout by Schwiebert (or the PB Trout Tackle II)
Keane's Classic Rods and Rodmakers
Harmon HenkinsFly Tackle

These are probably the best 3 in overview - many of the others ae quite specialized.

Splitting Can by Ed Engle surveys a selection of recent makers

LeakyWaders
Global Moderator

Post by LeakyWaders »

Drew, good pick I forgot about that one. Glad that you mentioned it. Its been in my library for years and long overlooked.

Jan

Pete in Vermont
Sport

Post by Pete in Vermont »

Absolutely do not miss Schwiebert's TROUT as the least expensive and most definitive introduction to bamboo rods. You can pick up a used paperback edition for $15 or so, but Marty Keane's book is hardbound only and currently going for about $200 on ebay. I just saw one book dealer on the net asking $550 for an "excellent, like new" condition copy of Keane, and I'm glad I got mine directly from Marty back in the old days!!!

And, of course you can pay plenty for Schwiebert's hardcover two volume boxed set. I have bought--but not yet received--a "fine" copy that I located in England for $200 and it is costing another $40 to ship it here. But US book dealers are looking for $300 and up for copies not in as nice condition.

!-- :D -->

upstatetrout
Guide

Post by upstatetrout »

Absolutely the best "books" for learning about cane are the
catalogues by Keane,Carmine etc.

Tom!-- :smokin -->

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Schweibert's Nymphs has a section on rods that is quite illuminating......

BobS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BobS »

Look for Split & Glued by Bill Harms and Tom Whittle. Last I heard it was scheduled for publication in 5-6/07.

Blurbs I've read indicate this book may be mostly about Vince Marinaro's building techniques and fishing the Letort. Bound to be interesting in a broader sense, as well.

seabass14
Guide

Post by seabass14 »

Thanks guys for all the input. I think I will pick up a copy of "Casting a spell" based on the sticker price of about $15 on Amazon. I have looked at the other books and found many of Keanes books to be as you all mentioned very pricey. I guess like everything else in this game it is going to cost you to get the best.

Thanks again for all your input.

Seabass

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Good book on Bamboo history

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Glad I searched this out - I am completely unfamiliar with Casting A Spell by Black
Thanks for the 2007 information that totally applied now
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”