Good book on Bamboo history

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Good book on Bamboo history

Post by 3creeks »

Brian K. Shaffer wrote:
01/22/23 05:31
Glad I searched this out - I am completely unfamiliar with Casting A Spell by Black
Thanks for the 2007 information that totally applied now

I think I have read it 4 times in 5 years, so yeah go buy it! All of the books mentioned are fantastic but the OP's question (7 odd years ago) was looking for a definitive book which in my opinion does not exist. And I think that it's a good thing because I've scratched, clawed, overpaid... you name it, to buy pretty much every one of the mentioned books. Casting a Spell remains at the top of the list for me, though.

By the way, while not a book, I think anyone who loves to read books like this should have a copy of the DVD Chasing the Taper. Between that and George Black's book one can be pretty happy.

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

It's really old, but The Wise Fisherman's Encyclopedia is great. Stoner and others wrote sections in it. It is a store of info on bamboo rods, Super Z ferrules, and much more. Written by the builders.
Oregon Bamboo,by Joe Beelart encapsulates the operations of our many excellent NW rod builders. The paperback is fairly inexpensive. His book on Gary Howells is likewise an excellent book.
Split Cane rods- Bamboo Treasures, by Rolf Baginski is excellent and covers many American makers.
As mentioned, Trout Tackle II and Marty Keane's book are top of any list. Don't give up On Keane's "Classic Rods and Rodmakers," I have seen copies under $100.

dshx
Master Guide

Post by dshx »

Plus 1 on the Wise Fisherman’s Encyclopedia. Great section on rod tapers and also silk lines (the latter written by Marvin Hedge so anyone researching Hedge lines will find this section extremely valuable).

-Dwight

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

There doesn't seem to be a book that covers this topic in a 'straight line' as there were so many people starting with rod making in different spots in the world around the same era.

I think there was a diagram in the now defunct Bamboo fly rod magazine with the makers who 'gave birth' to a new maker. I thought that was quite interesting to see who was influenced (or even the successor) by whom.

Bamboo Don
Guide

Post by Bamboo Don »

I just started the book Casting A Spell and so far it is very interesting, it has a lot to say about the bamboo rods.
I have a lot of Leonard rod and the book made me interested in the E.W. Edwards rod and I'm only half way through the book.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Picked up Casting a Spell several years ago, I really enjoyed it and found it incredibly informative -- it was a wonderfully written genealogy of the American split bamboo fly rod history. When Chasing the Taper came out a couple years ago, I thought it complimented the book.

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

Casting a Spell had a big influence when I first read it. It is probably responsible for sending me on the road to making my own rods. Later, when I had read a lot more about American rods and had a second look at the book, I was surprised that in Casting a Spell there is only one brief mention of Paul Young.

P.S. I note that others have made similar points above.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Godfroy wrote:
01/24/23 10:51
Casting a Spell had a big influence when I first read it. It is probably responsible for sending me on the road to making my own rods. Later, when I had read a lot more about American rods and had a second look at the book, I was surprised that in Casting a Spell there is only one brief mention of Paul Young.

I had noticed that too...I chalked that up to the fact PHY wasn't in the direct lineage of Leonard, Payne, Edwards, Thomas et al.

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

GerardH wrote:
01/24/23 11:28
Godfroy wrote:

I had noticed that too...I chalked that up to the fact PHY wasn't in the direct lineage of Leonard, Payne, Edwards, Thomas et al.
Yes, but Western makers like Winston and Powell do get several pages each.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Godfroy wrote:
01/24/23 11:33
GerardH wrote:
01/24/23 11:28
Godfroy wrote:

Yes, but Western makers like Winston and Powell do get several pages each.
Forgot about that, it's been a while since I read the book. Well, that shoots down that theory...

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Pictures, if you want to see and understand the history, then get Jeff Hatton's book, Rod Crafting. If you are just starting it'll really help.

Jay Edwards

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

bluesjay wrote:
01/24/23 13:58
Hi Guys, Pictures, if you want to see and understand the history, then get Jeff Hatton's book, Rod Crafting. If you are just starting it'll really help.

Jay Edwards
Thank you, I have just ordered a copy. Paul.

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

Seabass, the expected books have been mentioned, but if you are interested in eastern rod makers and owners, and have an extra $40 or so, I just sold a neat little book titled "the letters to Everett Garrison" (?) by Kathy Scott. Apparently she has his personal correspondence and published some letters. Some great things by Hoagy, George Beall and other notables. Not interesting for hard data, but some nice historical perspective. It's an overlooked book, IMO.

RScottFlyRods
Sport

Post by RScottFlyRods »

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it or not but: "8 by Carmichael" is good. He covers Ed and Jim Payne, Chauncy Lively, Dr George Parker Holden, and Vince Marinaro.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

RScottFlyRods wrote:
01/27/23 06:33
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it or not but: "8 by Carmichael" is good. He covers Ed and Jim Payne, Chauncy Lively, Dr George Parker Holden, and Vince Marinaro.
Yes, a most excellent book! I just got it a couple of months ago and I went straight to the chapter on Payne and read it. The book is really hard to find but I managed to get a copy online from a used book source. I also just got two books from Whitefish Press. The Gary Howells book and Rob Smith's book on Crompton. I think it's a good thing that there's no definitive book on the topic because they are all great in their own way.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

You can get the book 8 directly from Hoagy, signed as well

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

The three books which form an outstanding foundation for further exploring are, imho, Keane, Schwiebert and Black.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

as has been mentioned - Jeff Hatton's book Rod Crafting - covers bamboo rods from 1840's into the 1960's.

Hard to get a better bamboo education from a single book.
Five thumbs way up! What a great guy too. ;)
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”