Got a new reel lately?

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Canebum
Master Guide

Re: Got a new reel lately?

Post by Canebum »

J Gustavsson wrote:Thanks, the lineguard seem to be made of brass rather than ns... Any explaination why? Never seen a brass lineguard on a hardy reel before.
The first model St George reels, made just a few years before, had all brass lineguards.

I've also seen them on a few St George reels of similar vintage. Here's mine.

J Gustavsson
Master Guide

Post by J Gustavsson »

Excellent, very nice reels canebum! that second one is the same as mine. With brass lineguard, tensioner anf handle wire. Am I correct about the dating 1917?

Canebum
Master Guide

Post by Canebum »

J Gustavsson wrote:Excellent, very nice reels canebum! that second one is the same as mine. With brass lineguard, tensioner anf handle wire. Am I correct about the dating 1917?
Just to clarify, the first reel pictured is not mine but belongs to Stas Gorbounov.

Yes, re the second reel it is the same model year as yours.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

All those reels are great! The Stas reel is a "holy crap" kinda reel, at least to me. WOW

Ron Larsen
Guide

Post by Ron Larsen »

Here's a nice transitional Medalist 1494 that I picked up at an "antique" barn along Vermont 108. The reel and spool are in good shape, but the three pieces of plastic were shot. I didn't care since I had two 1494 spools that I had been using on my 1494 1/2. The first thing I did was pry the plastic cap off the drag adjustment screw and turned down a knurled plastic screw that I had.

What does the "B" stand for on the reel foot?

The bottom of the box has an inspection date code of Jan 1948 and a price of $8.95.

So yesterday I got around to making the third spool usable.

Ron Larsen

offshore31
Guide

Post by offshore31 »

Just got the reel and rod Friday. Broke them in on a nice stocked brookie yesterday. The reel is a Peerless all black 1, with the 1a drag upgrade done by Bob, on a Liederman-Morgan stalker repro 8' 4wt. I'm not allowed to have my phone with me near the water (sent too many phones swimming), so no photo with the fish.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Nice Peerless reel....congrats on the acquisition.
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

offshore31
Guide

Post by offshore31 »

thanks. I wasn't sure i'd like the all black, or if i should even fish it. kinda scarce reel, afraid of breaking it. But it really went well on Matt's rod, and fishing it seems the right thing to do. now have to get rid of that bougle i bought. i like the peerless much better

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Matt Liederman's build on that Tom Morgan blank is extremely classic, as is the awesome all black Peerless. Simply a great classic combination, artfully done. Congratulations!

N.Z.TROUT
Guide

Post by N.Z.TROUT »

Sure did.It's a nice 3'' Hardy St.George.It looked a little on the grungy side,but cleaned up nicely.I needed a reel that would balance out my 7' duracane,this "Fit the Bill"Perfectly.It's nice and tight with no sign's of rubbing anywhere inside,smooth as silk.It's a small arbor,that hold's plenty of backing and L.W. T.T. 4wt.Now,if i can just find one more for my 6' Midge rod,i'll be done,yah right.ImageImageImageImage
I am haunted by water's.
Norman Maclean

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

I'd say you are doing VERY well on the St. George's!

N.Z.TROUT
Guide

Post by N.Z.TROUT »

Thank's for saying so,it's a start.I'am considering a St. George Jr. as opposed to another 3'' for a 6' Farlow's midge rod,not for collectable reason's,but from a practical stand point.Not to be-little the Jr's,are they "toy's"or would they serve the purpose?Are any of you actually fishing them?Any help in this area would be appreciated
I am haunted by water's.
Norman Maclean

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

They are useful and fit smaller rods - Personally I do not own one, use a Medalist 1492 for that size rod. The older 3 screw reels in fine shape command pretty high prices, and are gorgeous looking reels imho.

N.Z.TROUT
Guide

Post by N.Z.TROUT »

Thank's for reminding me,i've got acouple stored away.But i've been so into the Hardy's lately.I don't think i'll ever be able to use any other,no matter what rod i use.Their the only reel's that have ever talked to me,not that some other's haven't whispered a time or two.If i didn't know better,i'd think i was in love.
I am haunted by water's.
Norman Maclean

dder
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by dder »

I,ve been trying to not fall in love but sometimes I,m just weak. Sucker for a pretty face I guess. This reel just came back from a trip overseas to be releaded and turned out very well. Somewhere in its past it was refinished with a black substance(paint or shoe polish) that blistered and looked very bad,it is all fixed now and looks great,will be using it for my trout reel for summer fishing. Its a 3 inch.

Daryl

N.Z.TROUT
Guide

Post by N.Z.TROUT »

Very nice indeed,job well done!
I am haunted by water's.
Norman Maclean

Canebum
Master Guide

Post by Canebum »

Goregous reel Daryl and very nice job.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Wow, great job on re-leading that little jewel! Can you share who did it?

John

dder
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by dder »

I don,t think he will mind, was John Mackenzie, Restoration, on this forum and as usual he did an outstanding job. Heres a before picture showing the blistering on back.
Took a reel that was a mess and made a lovely piece of gear again. Thank you John.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Thanks for the info Daryl! One never knows when a future reference of this kind might be needed.

John

Return to “Classic Reels”