Got a new reel lately?

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Got a new reel lately?

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

sovereign wrote:
11/06/22 03:40
I just bought this little gem on Ebay. A hardy Sunbeam fly reel in the smallest size 23/4" with telephone latch and in war-time painted finish. Its from the second half of the 1940th. I guess, but from before 1949 when the Hardy Sunbeams got a centerscrew as spool-locker.
I actually didn´t buy this reel, for the reels sake but for the Hardy reel maker stamps inside, RR Robert Richardson reel maker at Hardys between 1938 and 1950. I din´t have this Hardy reel maker presented min my "stabel" so... When I got the reel I was very pleased, it was much better live than on the pictures, almost mint in the condition so that was great too. Hardy Sunbeams with a reel makers stamping are not often seen and I haven´t seen many Hardy Sunbeams with the telephone latch eighter so I think I did a great buy!

yes, sir i believe that is a great find. do you plan to fish it for the highest brown trout?

highest regards, jim w

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

I was drawn to this reel a few weeks ago and bought it. I can only imagine that 125 (or so) years ago If I were in the Hardy retail outlet in Alnwick I would have looked at all the beautiful Perfect reels, shiny new fly rods and classy accessories. The bottom line is, I would have left the shop with this rather basic, plain and ordinary reel because it is what I could afford. Not much different from today. :)

sovereign
Master Guide

Post by sovereign »

Seabowisha Salmo T wrote:
11/06/22 09:41
sovereign wrote:
11/06/22 03:40
I just bought this little gem on Ebay. A Hardy Sunbeam fly reel in the smallest size 23/4" with telephone latch and in war-time painted finish. Its from the second half of the 1940th. I guess, but from before 1949 when the Hardy Sunbeams got a centerscrew as spool-locker.
I actually didn´t buy this reel, for the reels sake but for the Hardy reel maker stamps inside, RR Robert Richardson reel maker at Hardys between 1938 and 1950. I din´t have this Hardy reel maker presented min my "stabel" so... When I got the reel I was very pleased, it was much better live than on the pictures, almost mint in the condition so that was great too. Hardy Sunbeams with a reel makers stamping are not often seen and I haven´t seen many Hardy Sunbeams with the telephone latch eighter so I think I did a great buy!

yes, sir i believe that is a great find. do you plan to fish it for the highest brown trout?

highest regards, jim w
No it will stay in the collection. A nice Hardy fly reel for sure but I don,t think a fly reel is just for storing the line. I prefer fishing with a more potent fly reel, ok often its not needed but when, I will be prepared so for me, the last twenty years Hardy the Golden Sovereign has been my reel for fishing. Tight lines ! // Steen

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

steen - that is the first one i have seen with that bar release instead of horseshoe latch
ultra cool examples - you have them

CFO VI

CFO V
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

My last addition was a really nice early Orvis CFO IV Screwback, a reel I looked for for several years!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

dder
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by dder »

Brian, that first CFO in post above has a full frame, not as much in know as many on CFO reels but don,t think I,ve ever seen a full framed one,Rare,early or have I just not been paying attention. Thanks
Daryl

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

daryl - rare in numbers and early year of production maybe... gotta like that caged rim - durability
__

What a great gift! Thanks to both Brit and Jay Edwards
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

The CFO III was available without the screw-on line guard up to 1982. This one is in good condition for a reel which is at least 40 years old.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Last edited by PYochim on 01/17/23 10:17, edited 2 times in total.

blackdog
Guide

Post by blackdog »

I just got this Pflueger Hawkeye 80 reel. It’s in great working condition, and will pair nicely with my 8’ 1927 Divine 4 wt.

superdad3d

Post by superdad3d »

Nice…

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

PYochim - what a score - won it in a drawing... wow! Free very nice reel!

Here is a neat screwdriver that came with this magical new Hardy reel -

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

What a funky example of genius checkwork - on off switch for instant additional pawl engagement

Eaton and Deller 4" swashbuckler

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

Always on my bucket list but too much $$$$$$.....until this great deal! My late Christmas present.....

ctwhite
Guide

Post by ctwhite »

Not exactly new nor lately, but...

About 10 years ago I bought a box lot of reels and asst bits at a flea market. I only wanted a Pflueger Gem in the box but the seller insisted I take them all. 8 or 9 reels in total. Total cost: $20. The Gem went on to see duty in northern Maine but the remaining reels went under the bench. Until yesterday. I was poking around for a reel to display with that old Chubb fly rod. I picked out this Meisselbach Rainbow. Its painted finish was ruined by what must have been a solvent. It was a dried old bubbly mess. Fortunately the plastic handle was untouched. The reel is functionally perfect and now, with a new look, it's kinda pretty, too.

ImageIMG_5089 by Craig White, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5100 by Craig White, on Flickr

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Nice! Great for a display!

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

A 3" wide spool Perfect, 1906 check.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Great reel. A prized reel for sure.
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

A new one from across the pond. I always wanted a 2 7/8" one..

Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

ctwhite
Guide

Post by ctwhite »

Berkley 540 with an extra spool. Paint's a little worn but the function is excellent...

ImageIMG_5290 by Craig White, on Flickr

Return to “Classic Reels”