Got a new reel lately?

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

uniquafly
Master Guide

Got a new reel lately?

Post by uniquafly »

I'm not sure if this topic has been posted before but here it goes...

We have all seen truckloads of beautiful cane rods, shared by their proud owners, over in the Classic Cane topic. I say it's time we gave the Classic Reel a share of the spotlight.

OK, ladies and gentlemen, show us what you have...

I know they're out there... I'm always the under-bidder!
Last edited by Guest on 09/06/07 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Got a new reel lately?

Post by bulldog1935 »

OK, I'm not sure you'll like it, but I just got a new Young Sea Venture.

This is a modern rarity. I was watching this on ebay and it didn't get a bid so I made the seller an offer
(less than half its value - in fact, less than the value of the spool), and here it is.
It's blue.
It's rare because it was made in those months before JW Young closed their production shop (in Nov. 2002).
S/N 58.
The rest of the parts were shipped across the pond, and became J Austin Forbes Classic Saltwater.
In fact, I didn't know how to switch the drag to RHW, and a friend fax'd me his JAF papers.

The drag is sealed and has a Medalist type ratchet plate, and a pawl type clicker.

it's a nice complement to this reel:

this is S/N 94, and the box was dated with the last month the shop was open.

I have both of these reels paired up with Fisher graphite, which also happened to close in 2002.
Last edited by bulldog1935 on 09/08/07 03:05, edited 1 time in total.
Image Shotguns and flyreels are jewelry for men

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Got a new reel lately?

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Bulldog... you never cease to amaze me. If that Sea Venture was inside frame and verso ported I believe it might be one of the sexiest reels I could ever feast my eyes on. Trying to visualize that I was already drooling... then comes that Revolution / Ariel masterpiece, why... why

I just wonder... what is next. I am going to add to this thread... but I cannot follow that.

How many fly reels can one man really own...... ugh!!!

Brian
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Got a new reel lately?

Post by bulldog1935 »

I'm still looking for a Jubilee 3-1/2" click-pawl.

The freshwater disc drag on the Revolution is very nice - when you dial it out, the click-pawl pays like a classic -
and the wonderful sound is there, disc added or not.
Last edited by bulldog1935 on 09/08/07 03:06, edited 1 time in total.

reelcollector
Guide

Got a new reel lately?

Post by reelcollector »

Just "Won" a Leonard(I believe) Wm. Mills & Son off the `bay #3301610722966 and think I can clean it up to look
quite presentable. Will send pic to ? for posting any volunteers ? Jack, ORCA `96 --- reels4me@earthlink.net

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Got a new reel lately?

Post by bulldog1935 »

sure Jack, send them forward

also, your number doesn't search

We may be waiting for your photos to post, though - I'm not going to copy someone's photos from an ebay link and post them.
Last edited by bulldog1935 on 09/07/07 12:17, edited 1 time in total.

reelcollector
Guide

Got a new reel lately?

Post by reelcollector »

Ron -- It was/is the correct number, however thanks for pic. offer and will advise you when it`s cleaned up and will send to you. Fellow ORCAn and thanks again --- Jack

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Got a new reel lately?

Post by BigTJ »

Looks like I'm about to be a proud new owner of a Peerless 2A. Now I just need to build a PHY boat rod to put it on. This will be my first S-handle reel, I just love the classic looks and quality of the peerless reels. I'm going to use this setup as my go-to rod and reel for the Truckee, it is going to get a workout.

Prior to that I just got a Bougle Lightweight III a couple months ago. These reels are, IMO, one of the most under-rated and best values available right now in the Bougle line. They cost about $300 than the latest Bougles and I just love the way they combine the cosmetics of the LRH and the workings of the Bougle.

Roger, if you read this...thanks for keeping quiet about the 2A last night! I finally spilled the beans with Tina this afternoon, I had to make sure the time is right. I have found that timing is the key to a successful and lasting marriage when you have an affliction such as ours.

-John

turtledoc
Bamboo Fanatic

Got a new reel lately?

Post by turtledoc »

Ron - That BLUE Young is VERY Tasty !

Since I REALLY like seeing reels, I like the idea of this thread Image

So far, 2007 has been a good year for me in the reel finding department, though it's also been very challenging since I've set a $1200 budget for the year to feed this hobby.......it's taken a lot of horse trading and selling off several items from past hobbies, but so far I'm on pace to be within my budget and these are my 07 finds.......NOTE that I don't still own all of these....several fell victim of me finding something else I just had to have Image

San Fran Thompson 100 & 500

NZ Perfect Clone Streamfly (recently sold to a forum member Image)

3 inch Dingley Red Agate Perfect Clone

Stan Bogdan Prototype circa 1945

ImageImage

Bogdan AF200M Date Coded 1961

San Jose Thompson 100

JW Young St George Red Agate Clone (Sold to a forum member Image )

JW Young Salmon Reel...retailed by Holbrow & Co...likely heading to a new home in the Catskills soon

And last but not least, one of my favorite reels, a "Baby Hermann"

Mark B
Last edited by turtledoc on 09/08/07 08:39, edited 1 time in total.

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Got a new reel lately?

Post by bulldog1935 »

oh, anytime in 2007. Image

the (still) new pinnacle to my Young collection - Lyon & Coulson Varden, c. 1940.

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Got a new reel lately?

Post by fishnbanjo »

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Got a new reel lately?

Post by BigTJ »

Turtledoc,

Being from N. CA/N. Nevada that San Jose Thompson is something to behold. What a piece of history. It's just beggin to be fished on a powell or SF winston.

Banjo,

-John
Last edited by BigTJ on 09/07/07 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

turtledoc
Bamboo Fanatic

Got a new reel lately?

Post by turtledoc »

John - Do you have any history on the Thompsons? I haven't been able to find all that much about how long and really when they were made. I know the patent is 1937 and I've seen an Ad for the San Jose version in 1946. Any additional info you might have would be of interest and appreciated. Mark B

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Got a new reel lately?

Post by BigTJ »

Mark,

Wish I did. I will ask around. Have you tried sending an e-mail to Tom Morgan and see if he knows anything? Last time I talked to him via e-mail in 2003 or 2004 his health was still holding up. If anybody knew I bet he would. You should be able to get a hold of him at Tom Morgan Rodsmiths. Another possibility is the reel dealer in Berkley, Jim Adams, he might know something as well or know somebody who does.

-John

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Got a new reel lately?

Post by firehole »

Contact dealer Jim Adams about Thompson reels. Great reels Westslope sold my near mint Thompson 100. it's still on his site.
Dennis

uniquafly
Master Guide

Got a new reel lately?

Post by uniquafly »

So far, so good bulldog!

Nice, very nice doc!

I guess since I started this mess I should post something...

Nice, tight little 3 3/8ths regulated Uniqua I picked up near a month ago...
Image This can't compare to what I've seen from you guys... like I said... I always seem to come out as the under-bidder Image
I'm still lurking!
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

turtledoc
Bamboo Fanatic

Got a new reel lately?

Post by turtledoc »

That's a very nice Uniqua, and this isn't a contest......just a way to see some neat reels !

I usually share photos of my reel finds because I appreciate others doing the same thing.
I don't live near any big dealers and I don't get to the big auctions or shows, so the photos on this forum and eBay are often the best reference I have without actually buying an example of a particular reel.

That said, keep em' coming Image

John & Dennis, thanks for the suggestions for Thompson info, I'll have to follow-up on that.

Mark B
Last edited by turtledoc on 09/08/07 02:40, edited 1 time in total.

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Got a new reel lately?

Post by firehole »

One of my latest additions is a 1906 Hardy Perfect 3 3/8", red agate and most all of it's original leading finish

Dennis

Serendipity
Master Guide

Got a new reel lately?

Post by Serendipity »

If Doc got all those reels and stayed within his $1,200 budget, I'm sending him $1,200 in the morning so he can be my personal reel shopper. Image

I haven't been buying much recently, but this Farlow got my attention about a month ago and I couldn't resist it. It's since paid a visit to Bill Archuleta for a regulator repair and a foot straightening - turned out to be quite reasonable by the way - and it's now quite happy on the shelf above my monitor.

richard

turtledoc
Bamboo Fanatic

Got a new reel lately?

Post by turtledoc »

Richard - You've got my address..... Image

I didn't say $1200 was what I had spent.....that would be crazy talk ! What I meant was that after all of the buying and selling and selling off some other collectibles, I won't have more than $1200 "new" money in the reels I buy this year.......or at least close to that....I nabbed a Dingley earlier this week that will put me a couple hundred over again.

Mark B

p.s. - looking forward to the trio of perfects (Hardy, Farlow, Dingley) photos for the calendar......hint hint Image

Return to “Classic Reels”