Dingley, 3"!!

A place to discuss those classic and vintage fly reels, classics include modern variations of those of vintage. Please add your photos, stories or just join in conversation about your reels.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Dingley, 3"!!

Post by thegubster »

Recently gifted to me by a very caring forum member. Can't say that enough...

I'm a lefty, unfortunately and strung her up for RH wind as per the reel. Didn't really like it much so I've got her re-wound for LH wind now and think it'll be just a wonderful little gem on a few nice 4wts I have.

You know who you are. So, THANK YOU, again! She will remain in my family forever. My 31 yr. old son is very happy to hear this... ;)

Jeremy... a very lucky Jeremy!

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Dingley, 3"!!

Post by jhuskey »

Yes you are a lucky guy Jeremy! That is a great looking Dingley and perfect trout size - use it well!
John :pipe

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bulldog1935 »

extremely nice reel with a foot that fits just about everything
very thoughtful and generous gift.

Canebum
Master Guide

Post by Canebum »

Nice reel with an interesting retaining screw.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Thanks gents. I can't believe how smooth this little rascal is.

And that redone foot..Pfoot...is a pleasure just to touch. Amazingly nice bit of work!
It'll fit well on a few of my 4wts.

Jeremy.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Very nice. Congratulations; I'm sure you will enjoy it.

oldfishbrain
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldfishbrain »

thegubster wrote:Recently gifted to me by a very caring forum member. Can't say that enough...

I'm a lefty, unfortunately and strung her up for RH wind as per the reel. Didn't really like it much so I've got her re-wound for LH wind now and think it'll be just a wonderful little gem on a few nice 4wts I have.

You know who you are. So, THANK YOU, again! She will remain in my family forever. My 31 yr. old son is very happy to hear this... ;)

Jeremy... a very lucky Jeremy!
Jeremy I think I have his/her brother/sister. See:viewtopic.php?f=72&t=75055&p=601056#p601056
Nodeless Light Line Cane Rods
avardanis@sympatico.ca

Cork & Cane
Guide

Post by Cork & Cane »

Jeremy, congratulations on having such a friend to give you such a gift. Just wonderful, an experience that will always give you good thoughts and will last a lifetime.

I am right handed, and prefer my trout fishing reels to be LHW. I recently acquired a Hardy St George 3", 3 screws and buttery smooth. The thinking was that "It's a desireable reel" in excellent condition and I could always sell it, it was part of an involved deal with reels, cash and a rod. Since fishing with it a few times this summer, I think I can get over my LHW bias, changing hands with the rod/reel is really not a big factor after a day of getting used to it, so for the moment where this reel is concerned I am ambidextrous.

Peter

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

oldfishbrain wrote:
Jeremy I think I have his/her brother/sister. See:viewtopic.php?f=72&t=75055&p=601056#p601056
Hi Alex. I just found this post of yours. I apologize but I answered it on your posted link.

I do hope you're finding it fixed and usable to your satisfaction.

Thanks,

Jeremy.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Cork & Cane wrote:Jeremy, congratulations on having such a friend to give you such a gift. Just wonderful, an experience that will always give you good thoughts and will last a lifetime.

I am right handed, and prefer my trout fishing reels to be LHW. I recently acquired a Hardy St George 3", 3 screws and buttery smooth. The thinking was that "It's a desireable reel" in excellent condition and I could always sell it, it was part of an involved deal with reels, cash and a rod. Since fishing with it a few times this summer, I think I can get over my LHW bias, changing hands with the rod/reel is really not a big factor after a day of getting used to it, so for the moment where this reel is concerned I am ambidextrous.

Peter
Hello Peter,

Thank you. I'm a right-handed guy too and ALL of my reels are LHW, to include how I use this Dingley. I tried to work her RHW but ended up going back to what suited me more. Doesn't bug me one bit that the clicks are reversed for as much as I pay attention to it but I admire your changing it up and that you can be comfy with it.

The reel has a very unique story to it and hopefully one day when we shake hands I'll share that with you.

I've never met the gifter...and he still amazes me!

Thanks Peter and I hope all is well with you up 'ere in God's Country!

Jeremy.

Return to “Classic Fly Reels”