Upcoming Books

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

The Pink Panther
Guide

Upcoming Books

Post by The Pink Panther »

In the next 6-7 Months we are expecting John Gierach's new book "Fool's Paradise", a new Tying book by AK Best, and a new book about Tiers by Todd Hosman.

Pink

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Upcoming Books

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

I am looking forward to a new book from John Gierach. With the rainy weather we had over the last few months here in the midwest... I drug out several of my old favorites and read them cover to cover again.

One of my fav AK quotes : " When you start worrying about what other people think of you, its time to go fishing. "

Brian
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Upcoming Books

Post by Flyman615 »

Cool, a new board! Hi "Pink" and Brian. Went to my favorite local used book store today. Picked up "Where the Pools are Bright and Deep", 1st Ed. in DJ by Dana Lamb; "The Habit of Rivers" by Ted Leeson (forward by John Gierach) and "The Part I Remember", 1st. Ed. in DJ by Charles F. Waterman. The three for $21.

My outdoor library continues to grow...

Best,

Scott Image
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

pcg
Bamboo Fanatic

Upcoming Books

Post by pcg »

A personal plug: my book on EW Edwards is scheduled to be published in January 2008. Well over 100 spectacular photographs and illustrations (including ones by Michael Sinclair), many new twists and turns about Edwards life that have never been known, projections on number of rods made (unexpectedly low), and current values... Please look for announcements later this year.

Pat Garner

PS And a plug for George Black (not that he needs one): If you still haven't read Casting A Spell, it remains a sensational view of bamboo rod making during the last 100 years. Get it!
Author:
"Playing With Fire, The Life and Fly Rods of E.W. Edwards"
"D Is For Dingley, The Master Reelmaker" (co-author, Brian Taylor)

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Upcoming Books

Post by Gnome »

And another upcoming book is Rod Crafting II: The Modern Makers.

It is in its final phases and;
It will be out in late 07 or early 08.
And it features over 250 makers and their contact info plus. their philosophy on why they build with bamboo in their own words.
sorry about the personal plug there,

Jeff
Last edited by Gnome on 09/16/07 03:33, edited 1 time in total.

The Pink Panther
Guide

Upcoming Books

Flyman615 wrote:Cool, a new board! Hi "Pink" and Brian. Went to my favorite local used book store today. Picked up "Where the Pools are Bright and Deep", 1st Ed. in DJ by Dana Lamb; "The Habit of Rivers" by Ted Leeson (forward by John Gierach) and "The Part I Remember", 1st. Ed. in DJ by Charles F. Waterman. The three for $21.

My outdoor library continues to grow...

Best,

Scott Image
Scott ~ wouldn't it be more advisable to keep such valuable resources indoors? Image

uniphasian
Global Moderator

Upcoming Books

Post by uniphasian »

Scott:

Waterman has to be my favorite outdoor writer. With so many how-to books on the market, it is always a pleasure to read (and re-read) his stories that trend to the personal side of the sport.

His sense of humor and his never-ending ability to laugh at himself will always endear him to me. The world is a lesser place without him.

Thanks, Charlie, for your stories.

... back on topic,

Pink - could you save copies of Gierach and Best for me (signed if possible), please?
- Uni

The Pink Panther
Guide

Upcoming Books

Uni~ the guys (Gierach, Best, and Hosman) are always very gracious about spending time at Mike's signing books. Engle is a bit more difficult as he is so far away, but usually can be arranged. I've got you on the list for when they arrive and are signed. Pvansch1 suggested that I post each book arrival on the For Sale board, as well.
Pink

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Upcoming Books

Post by quashnet »

Far from a publication date, but well into production, is the book on freshwater fishes of Rhode Island that is my major illustration project at this time. Text will be by the principal fisheries biologist at Rhode Island Fisheries & Wildlife. Over seventy fish species will be described and depicted with a detailed black-and-white drawing and a full-color painting of each fish. Insights into life history strategies and habitat preferences of game fish and baitfish should make the book of interest to the New England angler. I'm working this afternoon on the drawing of Apeltes quadracus (the fourspine stickleback).
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

upstatetrout
Guide

Upcoming Books

Post by upstatetrout »

Another book that is due out in January 08 will be a book by Dick Talleur.The subject matter will be flies that fisherman realy use. It should prove to be very interesting.

Tom

andre49
Bamboo Fanatic

Upcoming Books

Post by andre49 »

Pink, please put me on the list for the Gierach and best books. Like last time I want them signed by everyone in town.

The Pink Panther
Guide

Upcoming Books

Andre, Lyons population has now grown to almost 1600 people ~ I'll give it my best shot!

pcg
Bamboo Fanatic

Upcoming Books

Post by pcg »

Michael Sinclair also has a book that's coming out in '08. Sounds like an exciting year in the works.
Author:
"Playing With Fire, The Life and Fly Rods of E.W. Edwards"
"D Is For Dingley, The Master Reelmaker" (co-author, Brian Taylor)

BlueDunn.fiberglass
Sport

Upcoming Books

Post by BlueDunn.fiberglass »

Pink please put on the list for a signed Gierach as well. Thanks.

Dave

Return to “Book Talk”