Ever seen this? Interesting tensioner on 3 3/8" Perfect

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

CM Vance
Master Guide

Ever seen this? Interesting tensioner on 3 3/8" Perfect

Post by CM Vance »

I have had this reel for a number of years and have always wondered about the knurling on the drag adjustment knob. I don't think I have ever seen this on another hardy reel and I don't think it is a replacement as the reel has been used very little. It is a pretty little detail. Has anyone ever seen this on another reel? If it is original there must be more out there. Thanks for any input. -Chris ImageImageImageImage

Reeldane
Master Guide

Re: Ever seen this? Interesting tensioner on 3 3/8" Perfect

Post by Reeldane »

2 7/8" Perfect (prewar)

cregb
Master Guide

Post by cregb »

Heinz,

Nice reel (as always), but the knurling is more traditional and not with the dots in between like Chris' reel--at least of what I can see.

Chris, cool detail and I haven't noticed it before.

Creg

CM Vance
Master Guide

Post by CM Vance »

Yes. I am familiar with the "roped" adjuster on Hienz's reel, but it is very different from the one on mine. I'm pretty sure the reel was made between 1917-21 as it is a Mk1 with the single rivet aluminum foot and white handle. I have seen plenty of other Mk1 reels, but none with the same knurl.

Melodious_Thunk
Guide

Post by Melodious_Thunk »

Here is a MK 1 3" STG with a similar tensioner ( reel on the right ). The other reel is ( I'm assuming ) a slightly later built 3" reel with a silent check but has a smooth brass foot and rope knurled tensioner. Seems there is a small window when this style tensioner was used and curious to see if there are any reels out there with the early Dup II check that has this style or if it was specific to the earlier single check.

" Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike " - John Muir, Travels in Alaska

J Gustavsson
Master Guide

Post by J Gustavsson »

Very nice! never seen those before.

Skickat från min Redmi Note 5 via Tapatalk

Return to “Classic Reels”