Neversink Book

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Neversink Book

Post by creakycane »

I moved this on over from EEE - anyone seen it ?

The Legendary Neversink: A Treasury of the Best Writing About One of America's Great Trout Rivers (Hardcover)
by Justin Askins (Editor)

Anyone seen this? Wondering if there's anything original in it or all excerpted from Hewitt, Wright etc.
Worth Getting? Thanks for any input.

robcane
Guide

Neversink Book

Post by robcane »

I received the 'Legendary Neversink' a couple days ago. I haven't read it in its entirety, but here are a couple thoughts thus far:

It's basically a compendium of fine essays written about the Neversink River over the span of 150 years or so. There are 21 essays in all from the likes of John Burroughs, Theodore Gordon, Ed Hewitt, Ray Bergman, Len Wright, Sparse Grey Hackle, the book's editor (Justin Askins), Austin Francis and a few others.

Nearly all of these have been published elsewhere -- the Ray Bergman piece is from 'Trout' and the Len Wright piece is from his own book on the river, entitled 'Neversink.'

But it's nice to see all this work under one title and I'm enjoying the book. Part of my enjoyment comes from the fact that the Neversink is my favorite river and I am intimate with some of the places mentioned in the book. I've fished it pretty much from the highest headwaters pool that holds trout, down through as much water as I have access to above the reservoir. In a rowboat, I've trolled featherwing streamers for browns and landlocks on the reservoir. And I've fished the tailwater below as far down as Oakland Valley, some 25 miles downriver.

My only complaint about the book is that I hope it doesn't bring too much more fishing traffic to the river -- I jealously guard some of my spots there.

But hey... maybe I'll meet some of you guys up there sometime.

rjj

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Neversink Book

Post by creakycane »

Thansk for the review, Rob!

Return to “Book Talk”