Carp Books

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Carp Books

Post by creakycane »

Since I noticed, once again, the size of the grass (?) carp in a lake I can walk to from my house, I think I am going to give them a try (they are huge). What are the better written carp fly fishing books - how to, history, fly tying, technique - all OK. I know in the UK this has been popular for a long time. What books should I get to get going and what are the better writtne ones? Thanks!

BobB
Bamboo Fanatic

Carp Books

Post by BobB »

The World According to Carp Image

Bob

Shoeless Joe
Master Guide

Carp Books

Post by Shoeless Joe »

Barry Reynolds is a local Carpmeister who co-authored, Carp On A Fly: A Flyfishing Guide ... there was nothing quite as amusing as pulling up to the Sante Fe Dr ~ Mississippi St. intersection and with the old Gates Rubber Plant serving as the backdrop, looking down to see Reynold's, dressed in his finest flats fishing attire, fighting with a S. Platte carp some ten miles downstream from the nearest trout.

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1555661866?tag ... 44YM52D7D6
Last edited by Shoeless Joe on 09/23/07 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
Sapere aude!

kaaterskill
Guide

Carp Books

Post by kaaterskill »

Hi Kevin,

Keep in mind that unlike common carp, grass carp are herbivores and thus may be considerably more difficult to entice. I don't know if any of the available carp books cover them or not. The only one I ever caught was 38" long -- I unintentionally snagged it in a turbid pond while doing some early spring bass fishing with a #1/0 streamer. Quite a battle on an 8-weight bamboo rod.

Many rivers on the midwest have also been recently invaded by other Asian carp -- they have made the national news because of their tendency to jump high and land in boats motoring by. They reach 20 pounds or more but feed on plankton. One day when biking on a creekside trail I saw a pod of about six 20-pounders skimming plankton off the surface. I thought of the possibility that a properly placed fly might be unintentionally inhaled, but I was atop a forested 15' high bank with no fishing gear. A friend who does research on them says they are extremely difficult to approach in a boat when feeding on the surface, so they may be an interesting challenge. Incredible opportunity for catching very large fish if someone can figure out how to reliably take them.

Terry

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Carp Books

Post by creakycane »

Thanks Terry - I'm not sure what they are. A neighbor descrobed them as "grass carp", but I'm not sure how accurate that is (This are central North Carolina ponds/ lakes). They do, at times, seem to cruise and take just below the surface. I did try fishing for them a few times in another pond with small phessant tails dropping down under the surface, but never got one to take. When hiking, I have seen them all over this lake, but when i start to cast for them, they seem to spook rather easily. Also see them tailing and rooting down in weedbeds somehwat frequently - with the tail breaking the water......

Return to “Book Talk”