Heddon tubular glass

History of the Heddon Rod Co. Feel free to discuss Heddon Rods here.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

JohnVan

Heddon tubular glass

Post by JohnVan »

I have an old Heddon tubular glass, its in OK shape with the eyes "black taped"
on. An old miser once owned it and wasn't known for spending money. Anyways
I was wondering if it were worth having it re wrapped and using it. It has the words
Heddon Tubular Glass on it and #GJ 702 71/2 on the blank above the handle. What
would that equate to today for weight line?---Thanks---John

carlz
Guide

Re: Heddon tubular glass

Post by carlz »

JohnVan wrote:I have an old Heddon tubular glass, its in OK shape with the eyes "black taped"
on. An old miser once owned it and wasn't known for spending money. Anyways
I was wondering if it were worth having it re wrapped and using it. It has the words
Heddon Tubular Glass on it and #GJ 702 71/2 on the blank above the handle. What
would that equate to today for weight line?---Thanks---John
A picture would help narrow it down. I am not sure what era it is. I/m guessing it is a 7.5 ft rod. I would start with a 6wt line on it and try up and down from there.

I have had a few heddons. Some are better than others and some get a very nice bend (slow, deliberate action) that is nice.
This one is a later one and was a nice 7wt.

JohnVan

Post by JohnVan »

As of now the rod is in storage 1200 miles away. I had my wife take a cell phone picture but it is next to worthless. Maybe it will be here by next week and I can get some decent pictures with my Canon EOS DSLR.---John

carlz
Guide

Post by carlz »

JohnVan wrote:As of now the rod is in storage 1200 miles away. I had my wife take a cell phone picture but it is next to worthless. Maybe it will be here by next week and I can get some decent pictures with my Canon EOS DSLR.---John
You might want to take this over to the Fiberglass Forum. http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/ This is earlier than the rod I showed and I am less than an expert on heddons. From the front page, be sure to check out the "wiki". There isn't a mention of "tubular glass" there, so I'm not sure how much it will help.

I would cast it before investing in having someone else rewrap it. If you want to take it on as a project, rewrapping one of these rods is a good project. I've been happy with many of the heddons that I've had.

JohnVan

Post by JohnVan »

Carlz---thanks for the information, I went to the fiberglass sight but have not been approved as a member yet, awaiting confirmation. Heres a couple more pics, reel seat looks to be old Heddon "plastic" type like my Heddon Bamboo was, really moldy looking. How do you clean these?---John

JohnVan

Post by JohnVan »

Here is the Heddon Bamboo reel seat after cleaning and rewinding years ago. I took it to an Orvis dealer who did this on the side. I think both reel seats are from the same era, came from the same angler, a great uncle of an ex relative, he fly fished from roughly the 30's to the 50's.---John

JohnVan

Post by JohnVan »

My wife shipped the rod to me, put it in it's original tube then inside a heavy 3 sided cardboard shipping box. When UPS delivered the driver told me to open the box, it looked damaged. It was the 2 piece glass rod was in 4 pieces and the tube was severed in half! She also packed my first fly rod in the heavy 3 sided box in it's rod bag, my old trusty Cortland is now in 3 pieces instead of 2. All I can say is thank you UPS! Terrific job at destroying a rod I have had for 20 plus years, you only took 3 days to destroy history. GOOD SHOW!---John

Return to “James Heddon & Sons Rods”