Most beautiful trout streams

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

aquabonito
Master Guide

Post by aquabonito »

I thought about making this a poll, but it just won't work. So how about putting forth what you think is the most beautiful trout stream (not necessarily the best) in the east, midwest, and west. No way will there be much agreement, we all have such different experiences. Mine are:

East---------------- West Branch of the Ausable, New York
Midwest----------- There are no beautiful trout streams
West--------------- Metolious, Oregon

What is the best trout stream you have ever fished? Mine is the upper Logan in Franklin Basin, Utah.
Have a nice day,

Andy

singlebuilt
Guide

Post by singlebuilt »

Every trout stream is beautiful in its own way.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

I guess the fact that there are no trout in Wisconsin kind of reduces the Midwest's possibilities. I saw some beautiful water out there during my 2006 visit, but every pool was chock full of those spotted dace.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

gmflyfish
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gmflyfish »

There are a couple of spring creeks in Missouri with the purest strain of McCloud River Rainbows remaining in the US.

The Little Juanietta in Pennsylvania

All of the rivers in Montana - my present home state.

Gregg

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

East: I haven't fished enough in the east to declare 'the most beautiful'
Mid-West: I'm not sure how you could say there are no beautiful trout streams in the mid-west unless your criteria has to include mountains? Michigan has a number of blue ribbon streams - the Au Sable being my favorite.
West: Snake River

I have to agree with singlebuilt - all trout streams are beautiful.

FFP
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fisherman, and we were left to assume...that all great fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fisherman and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
- Norman Maclean-A River Runs Through It

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

As my friend BlackHillsBill will attest, sometimes we South Dakotans are included in the broad definition of that which is "midwestern". However, our rich "cowboy" heritage, not to mention HBO's recent series "Deadwood", has placed us, from time to time, firmly in the wild, wild "west".

In any case, I nominate Spearfish Creek in the Black Hills as a beautiful trout stream... no matter where you place it geographically, Andy. And if you want to see a few photos of it, check out the "footsteps" thread on the Fishing Bamboo board.

(BTW, I'd also place our strain of McCloud River rainbows against anyone's...there've been no other introductions in Spearfish Canyon for over 25 years.) Regards, Flyman Image
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

RonT1
Master Guide

Post by RonT1 »

pffffffft! In defense of the Midwest... Was on the North Branch of Michigan's Ausable last weekend, took a float one day and once below the cottages downstream from Lovells found solitude (one other guide/client float), Brookies in their Fall splendor, and total absence of litter. Actually, it wasn't that unsightly through the well kept cottage area. Most likely why we continue to go back.
R
Spes Mea in Deo Est.

greendrake ll
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by greendrake ll »

I've yet to experience the pleasure of fishing the western streams.Plan on seeing as many of them as possible when I retire(a little over 2 years to go,'cause I'm going out at 62) BUT in the east just about any stream in the Adirondacks ranks high.The Letort is a lovely spring creek if you prefer pastorial settings.Though not the most beautiful I've ever seen the one that stole my heart around 40 years ago and remains my favorite to this day for all out comfort level and pleasure of fishing is the Savage River in Garrett Co.,Md.Image

BlackHillsBill
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BlackHillsBill »

Michigan's Escanaba and Voelker's Ponds do mighty well for the beauty of their water and of their fish. West of the Missouri (at least in SD) but east of the Rockies, the Black Hills' Spearfish Creek is hard to beat as Flyman notes. But The Henry's Fork in Idaho is without peer.
Last edited by BlackHillsBill on 10/07/07 07:13, edited 1 time in total.

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

There are beautiful trout streams in the Midwest but all of them are located in Iowa, Minnesota and Michigan ...nothing worthwhile in between those states.

Cheers and Safe Fishing

Bob
"Fishing is such great fun, I have often felt, that it really ought to be done in bed." - John Voelker

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

I really loved the Firehole. Not because of the fish I caught or didn't catch just the setting. In the East, well it's over fished and very low right now but I like the Davidson in NC.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."

Berry Point
Master Guide

Post by Berry Point »

I'll cast a vote for Virginia's Jackson River near Warm Springs--the special regulation water that requires a 2 mile or so hike/bike ride to access the best fishing areas. In the West, perhaps not the most beautiful but lovely nonetheless would be Washington's Kettle river and, if we can include southern British Columbia then the Upper Skagit near Hope and any of the secluded rivers and streams in the Kootenay region should make the list.

seattlesetters
Master Guide

Post by seattlesetters »

In the West, the Upper Kings River in and near Kings Canyon National Park. It is in the bottom of the deepest canyon in North America (just under 8,000' ) and its glacial-fed waters have the most beautiful azure tint to go along with the mile-high, sheer granite walls.

Designated as a catch-&-release fishery with wild trout only nearly 35 years ago, it also happens to one of the great trout streams in our country, as well.

pafisherman1
Sport

Post by pafisherman1 »

The beautiful trout stream...tough question... One that comes to mind is Cedar Run in north central PA. My favorite....The one I am fishing at the time... Bill A

RonT1
Master Guide

Post by RonT1 »

Ceder Run...? Carter Camp? May have been there done that...Image
R
Spes Mea in Deo Est.

leatherneck
Guide

Post by leatherneck »

mmorris236
Master Guide

Post by mmorris236 »

I used to love the little Mountain streams in West Virginia, with some beutiful water on all branches of the Cheat River. Tried fishing in Wisconsin but the Dang spotted dace won't leave the fly alone, how could any trout survive there anyway? Those spotted dace get BIG.

Have not yet fished the west, unless New Zealand counts (thats west right?) but will finally be able to take a day or two in British Columbia in late May next year.

gofish60
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gofish60 »

The mini mountains of the Driftless area around NW Iowa and SE Minnesota work just fine with the streams there. One visitor couldn't believe there was scenery like that in the Midwest. And, this week, the scenery is magnificent, with most of the trees turning. And, the trout season in Iowa is still open.
Closed in Wisconsin, but no trout there anyway, so it's a moot point.
gofish

Soft Hackle
Master Guide

Post by Soft Hackle »

Ausable; West branch, N.Y.
Willoweemoc; N.Y.
Deerfield in Mass ;( upper sections near Monroe)
Upper East Branch of Westfield in Mass.
Headwaters of Gale River; N.Hampshire , White Mtns; incredible brookies
Bitch Creek; Idaho
Soda Butte; Wyoming

rocketman
Sport

Post by rocketman »

For the rivers I've fished in my travels it has to be the Smith in NW California and the McCloud.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”