Most beautiful trout streams

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

JPMarci
Master Guide

Post by JPMarci »

Battenkill in New York at this very moment. No prettier place even when though the water is low.

JPM

SEKG
Sport

Post by SEKG »

Berry Point
You should not give away our secrets
SIG

BobB
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BobB »

I'll second Rock Creek and some small streams in my favorite western state......Montana!

Bob

Armchair Angler
Guide

Post by Armchair Angler »

"Often, I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito-bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand, have I been in a place that was less than beautiful."
Charles Kuralt

Berry Point
Master Guide

Post by Berry Point »

SIG,
I sent you a PM to ezinbox.
Cheers, Paul

Cane Head
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Cane Head »

There are stretches of the Saranac that easily compare to any beauty that the AuSable can offer. Then there's Alder Creek - a trib of the Saranac that's a fine eye full. The main branch of the Escanaba down river of Gwinn, Mi is especially easy on the eyes during Fall, as is the Laughing White Fish and the Rapid. Locally, here in MT - the Dearborn, the North/South Forks of the Sun, Belt Creek up in the Sluice Boxes. The Missouri - early in the morn this time of year when all the tourists and recreational floaters are gone - as the early morning fog is lifting off the water.

But really - any water that produces holds and produces wild trout is the most beautiful of all. Hatchery trout tend to give a lot of rivers the glitter of a diamond and the value of paste.

Cane

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

Hmmmmmmmm

Here in the SE I would have to say that the "blue lines" in W. NC and the Smoky Mts have their own wild and secluded beauty.

In the Mid-West I would have to agree with my S. Dak brothers, although I've really run into some beautiful water in the Stratobowl.

Out West..... Give me the Wind River area... clear of all the *&$!# yuppie types, just God's beauty and great fish.

Ralph
CZKid

andre49
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by andre49 »

Very subjective but Mill Creek in Paradise Valley is the prettiest stream I ever fished.

aquabonito
Master Guide

Post by aquabonito »

I apologize for demeaning the Midwest. Image
Have a nice day,

Andy

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

South Fork of the Flathead in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. It's 26 miles on horseback and well worth it for most beautiful westslope cutts you'll ever see, notwithstanding, it's pristine glacial carved mountains and valleys. It's a place you'll remember for the rest of your life.

Dennis

WestSlope
Guide

Post by WestSlope »

I Echo what Seattlesetters says: In the West, the Upper Kings River in and near Kings Canyon National Park.

You can take a person that's fished every River or small stream on the planet to the park. They always say the same thing, where has this been all my life. Just take a look at the photo's from my friend "Buck Forester" on my website and you'll have a better understanding but pictures do not tell the whole story!

tedgolden
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by tedgolden »

The Metolius, the North Fork of the Blackfoot, Pere Marquette.

And to add an olifactory dimension, there's nothing better than to walk thru a patch of wild mint along a Wisconsin meadow stream. Throw in a few Holsteins and a flock of goldfinches, the driftless area has a lot of beauty too.

In Missouri we are justifyably proud of the Current River.

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

Drew--

The PM? I've had some of my worst fishing experiences there--especially during the salmon season--40 pickups parked at bridges, trampled banks, guys snagging salmon with huge treble hooks, trash of every kind--dunkin donuts cups, blue worm boxes, plastic salmon egg containters, and enough drift boats to evacuate half of Cuba. The river has beautiful moments, but nothing like the Pine River, which is nearby--. The Pine can be difficult to access, and this makes it a little more wild. I once had a bald eagle turn a sharp corner around a bend where I was fishing, put on the breaks as only a bald eagle can do, and reverse direction--it left me breathless.

I like both the Ausable (in NY) and the South branch of the Au Sable (in Michigan), and both are a real treat in mid-Autumn.

bb

cebfishing
Guide

Post by cebfishing »

Midwest - Current in Missouri is nice, but lots of small streams in southern Missouri and I find little preasure on them as most people concentrate on the Trout Parks. In Wisconsin, lots of nice trout streams, but I prefer those in the north that have beautiful scenery - North Branch of Pike River, BoisBrule, and some areas of the Pine have nice fish and beautiful environment.
West - Any stream in western Wyoming and Montana. Has anyone fished the Tongue River in Wyoming's Big Horn Mts? Hunted it some years ago and though it would be great to fish.

routta
Sport

Post by routta »

if a guy has to choose-
the minty goodness of the driftless area in sconnie and
the mc cloud river down near the nature conservancy.

still hoping to try out the metolius- too.

dale
Master Guide

Post by dale »

The only place on earth you can catch a golden, rainbow, brown, or brook on any given day.

Dale

Jacktati
Sport

Post by Jacktati »

Sure not secret streams but as a frenchie some of the best spots were I was 4 years ago, 'hope to be on some once again next august ...
The Lamar in YNP not far from Soda Butte creek confuence :
The Yellowstone 2 hours hiking from Gardiner :
The Beaverhed south Dillon :
Slough Creek 2nd meadow... my gravel pit dream :
The Green on A section below Flamming George :
Hat Creek north Ca... some of the pickiest bows I Know and were I met Jim Reams fishing one of his sticks :

amazingwoody
Guide

Post by amazingwoody »

Poor Andy. He has obviously never visited Michigan's beautiful Upper Peninsula, home to Nick Adams and Robert Traver. As someone said, there is beauty in all trout streams if you know how to see them. So, here you go Andy, if you have anything in in your area to compare with this, lucky you. This is where I live......... Amazing (and very lucky) Woody

This is the Big Pup, right on the Chief Inspector's "the 510"
Image This is the ever beautiful Yellow Dog. The river silly. The dog is Jenny, the wonder fishing dog of Amazing Woody
Image Last but certainly not least, the fabled Frenchman's Pond, for that is not its name. Know locally as Uncle's and nationally as Voelker's Pond, Robert (aka John Voelker) Traver's beautiful camp. For more on this, see the CI's wonderful tale on his trip up here..........Image

aquabonito
Master Guide

Post by aquabonito »

Alas, Amazing Woody. You are so right. I have never fished the UP, although its been on my list for a number of years. I still have a few active years left, so I'll make a special effort to remedy the the situation. Please Suggest a beautiful, easily waded stream full of dumb trout: smart old brownies are too much of a challenge. Image
Have a nice day,

Andy

amazingwoody
Guide

Post by amazingwoody »

For a nice, easy and most beautiful stream, there is none prettier than the Yellow Dog. You can do a trifecta but the bows seem to be dumberer than the browns and brookies. I would be happy to show it and Frenchman's to you anytime you are up this way............ and maybe throw in the Escanaba for good measure.
AW

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”