A modest Paella

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

AlexP
Master Guide

Re: A modest Paella

Post by AlexP »

Mole-Patrol wrote:
12/10/21 13:59
I find it hillarious that people can get so worked up about things like this. Possibly a result of social media enabling people to be outraged from the comfort of their own armchair.

I'll keep it quiet that I also use chorizo on my pizzas. Don't want to find a virtual horse's head in my bed :rollin
I hope you don't think my posts imply that I get work out about what is an authentic paella. What constitutes an authentic paella has been an argument long before social media. I do agree that social media plays a part on discussing the authenticity of dishes these days. But this is definitely not intrinsic to paellas. Pick any dish and you can find an argument there. I've just happened to be from Spain, have a passion for cooking, and have cooked hundreds of paellas. I figured my input to the thread might be valuable.

I like to put chorizo and salchichón in my pizzas and use Manchego cheese in pasta carbonara so they can split the virtual horse's head between us.

Tight Lines

Mole-Patrol
Sport

Post by Mole-Patrol »

AlexP wrote:
12/10/21 14:26
Mole-Patrol wrote:
12/10/21 13:59
I find it hillarious that people can get so worked up about things like this. Possibly a result of social media enabling people to be outraged from the comfort of their own armchair.

I'll keep it quiet that I also use chorizo on my pizzas. Don't want to find a virtual horse's head in my bed :rollin
I hope you don't think my posts imply that I get work out about what is an authentic paella. What constitutes an authentic paella has been an argument long before social media. I do agree that social media plays a part on discussing the authenticity of dishes these days. But this is definitely not intrinsic to paellas. Pick any dish and you can find an argument there. I've just happened to be from Spain, have a passion for cooking, and have cooked hundreds of paellas. I figured my input to the thread might be valuable.

I like to put chorizo and salchichón in my pizzas and use Manchego cheese in pasta carbonara so they can split the virtual horse's head between us.

Tight Lines
It wasn't you I was laughing at. It was those who made outlandish comments as though they or their whole region had been personally insulted. Looking at the Valencian recipe the only meat 'allowed' was rabbit, chicken and snails. But I'll bet there were many occassions where Pedro got lucky, dropping a duck, deer or boar whilst out hunting and the trimmings went into the paella. I mean, if it were a choice between snails and anything, I would chose the latter.

The word paella refers to the pan it was cooked in, not the ingredients. French have a similar dish called poele derived from the same word for pan. However you will find dozens of recipes for poele. The French will eat anything. A lot of these recipes originated as a result of poor people making the most of their available ingredients. Peasant food. And I can't imagine them turning threir noses up to a bit spicy sausage if it was available.

How do you like your horse's head; roasted or boiled?
Regards,
Clive

I walk the paths where no one goes and cast to fish nobody knows

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

Mole-Patrol wrote:
12/10/21 14:57

How do you like your horse's head; roasted or boiled?
Roasted of course.

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”