Any Prime Rib Chefs?

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

Tom2Cast
Master Guide

Any Prime Rib Chefs?

Post by Tom2Cast »

This year instead of the traditional Holiday Ham I thought I try a Prime Rib. Haven't had it in years, and miss it dearly. I was thinking of an in-bone cut prime. I've seen some recipes online, wondering what the board has for their; "tried and true recipes" for Prime Rib, including Au Jus.
Thanks,
-Tom

cheffy
Master Guide

Re: Any Prime Rib Chefs?

Post by cheffy »

Depending on the size of your roast.
I always French between the rib bones a bit and save those pieces for a snack with some sautéed mushrooms but that's not required. If you were doing several a day then it's a lunch special.
I peel back the. Fat cap and season the meat with kosher salt, pepper and fresh garlic. Replace the cap and tie it down with some butchers twine. Roast slow 275 until it hits just under your desired temp. Kick the heat up to 400 and give it about another 15 min to brown up a bit. Remove it from the pan and let it rest for a good 20 min before slicing. While it's resting.
Deglaze the roast pan with some red wine and let that reduce by about half . Add in a about a quart of beef broth and bring to a boil simmer about 5 min then strain thru a fine sieve. Skim any fat off the top or if you have one of those goofy bottom feed gravy pitchers pour off the au jus. Now it's time to cut the twine,slice and serve.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

My wife and I make this a couple times a year at least - we have settled on very simple:
Make sure the roast you buy still has most of the fat cap left on - it is the source of flavor and juices
Allow the roast to come up close to room temp (4-6 hours)
Liberally salt (kosher or course sea) and pepper all sides
Place in roasting pan or cookie sheet on a rack and insert a digital thermometer into center
500 degrees F for 25-30 minutes (smaller roast less than say 6 pounds 25 mins - larger roast 30 mins or 35 mins if 4 bones +
Reduce oven to 350 degrees F
When we make a smaller roast we pull it out to rest for 20-25 minutes when temp reaches 118 degrees - if a larger roast we go to 122-124 degrees
We like most of the roast to be rare to medium rare and have found these stopping temps work the best for us. We don't make au jus just horse radish sauce
Good luck and enjoy!

John :P
Last edited by jhuskey on 12/12/14 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

troutwings
Guide

Post by troutwings »

Tom,
Prime rib is our traditional Christmas dinner. I've been doing this way for years without a complaint :-}
Preheat oven to 450 degrees (it will take most ovens about 15 min to reach temp).
Sprinkle the roast with Kosher salt or salt of your choice and coarse ground black pepper, place beef, fat side up, in a large shallow roasting pan. (it is un-necessary to use a rack as the ribs form a natural rack...do use a rack for boneless rib roast).
Roast beef uncovered and undisturbed in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes reduce the heat to 325 degrees and continue to roast without basting for about 12 minutes per pound for rare beef, 15 per pound for medium and 20 min per pound for well done. Timing starts after the reduction to 325. I use a meat thermometer and look for about 125-135 degrees for rare, 145-150 for medium and 160 or so for well done. Transfer to a platter, cover with foil and let rest for 15 minutes before carving. Note: the medium and well done time and rtemps are a close guess 'cause I've never cooked a prime rib past rare..I pull it at 125 degrees.
Let us know how it turns out

Dennis

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

In a nutshell, take it out of the fridge a few hours before cooking. Season it well with what you like, then sear it well on all sides. Put it in a pre-heated 200 degree oven with a good digital thermometer in the thickest part WITHOUT touching the bone. Roast it until it reaches the desired temperature of the level of "doneness" that suits your taste. once that temp is reached, take it out of the oven, wrap it in foil and let it rest for at least 30min. minimum. Save the pan drippings if you want to make any kind of sauce/glaze.

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

Greetings

I do a smoked bone-in prime rib. I first season it with kosher salt, pepper and garlic powder (sometimes I add some Cajun seasoning) and let stand at room temp for about 4 hours. I use a barrel type smoker with the fire box on one end. Build a rocket hot fire with lump charcoal in the fire box and sear the roast on each side and move to a roaster pan on the smoker side. Fat side up. I keep the temp around 275 to 300. I typically cook a 4-5 pound roast. (2 bones) It takes 3-4 hours. When the roast is done to your liking, set it aside and add 2 cups of beef broth and ½ cup dry red wine and a little thyme to the pan and reduce to about half. Let the roast rest for at least 30 minutes. Note: I don’t use any wood chips as I think it makes the smoke flavor too strong.
JVH

eastprong
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by eastprong »

I wait until rib roasts go on sale then dry age them in the spare fridge. I use Cheffy's "reverse sear" method because it results in a slice that is evenly cooked to the desired doneness throughout, though I blast it at a higher temperature at the end. (Ablecane's method sounds like it would do the same.)

tkerr7735
Master Guide

Post by tkerr7735 »

I would add one wrinkle to cheffy and the slow roasters. I like a carmelized crust on my prime rib. I take the meat completely off the rib bones and chines. Season and sear in a white ash hot cast iron skillet about 2 minutes per 6? sides. I use the skillet dry or with minimal canola or peanut oil. Put the meat back on the bone. Depending on how much time I have, I slow roast at 180 to 250 degrees. Rest and carve.

I use the same sear/slow-roast technique with everything from lamb shanks to short ribs.
It works beautifully even with extra large, dry sea scallops, but I do that on minimal butter or butter spray and that is only sear at 1 min 15-20 sec on two sides and serve.

My wife and I are retired. We cook fairly elaborate dinners about 340 days a year. We always need a good excuse - except when we don't - to open a great wine. -Tom

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

and don't forget the yorkshire puddings.

tkerr7735
Master Guide

Post by tkerr7735 »

JVH,
Help me out. I'm getting old and have no idea what you meant about the yorkshire pudding. No criticism intended or offered. Enlighten me. It's Friday evening.

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

tkerr7735 wrote:JVH,
Help me out. I'm getting old and have no idea what you meant about the yorkshire pudding. No criticism intended or offered. Enlighten me. It's Friday evening.
Yorkshire pudding is an English dish made from batter consisting of eggs, flour, and milk. The dish is usually served with roast meat , typically beef, and gravy and is a staple of the traditional British Sunday roast.

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

jvh wrote:
tkerr7735 wrote:JVH,
Yorkshire pudding is an English dish made from batter consisting of eggs, flour, and milk. The dish is usually served with roast meat , typically beef, and gravy and is a staple of the traditional British Sunday roast.
I should have added. They are like a puffy roll and nothing like pudding.

Tom2Cast
Master Guide

Post by Tom2Cast »

Thanks for the tips and recipes, looking forward to this year's holiday Christmas feast.

I notice there is "Aged Cut"? I looked it up online, seems like it's split 50/50. Wondering if it really matters if the meat is aged or not.
-Tom

eastprong
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by eastprong »

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

What the heck, it's Christmas isn't it?
http://www.costco.com/D%e2%80%99Artagna ... 82950.html
Last edited by ablecane on 12/21/14 11:50, edited 1 time in total.

Tom2Cast
Master Guide

Post by Tom2Cast »

I pre-ordered my in-bone prime roast yesterday, $12.99 a pound, picking it up early on the 24th. The aged prime cut was double the price, which I declined, but maybe someday.

After doing some thinking and reviewing the different recipes, I've decided to go with the pre-sear over the post-sear. I'll be doing a Herbes De Provence/unsalted butter glaze, sprinkled with kosher salt and ground pepper at room temperature.

With the oven pre-heated to 500 degrees, I'll pre-sear the roast, (the weight of the roast x 5) to give me the exact searing time @ 500 degrees. Then turn off the oven heat and let it cook on it's own for 2-hours.
We like the redness, so after a quick thermometer check of the meat, hopefully I'll be looking at 120-125 degrees.
For the Au Jus, I'm going with the pan drippings from the roast, beef broth and a touch of red wine.

Mash potatoes, asparagus and a good Cab. The Yorkshire pudding sounds delicious.
Thanks again,
-Tom

saltydancindave
Guide

Post by saltydancindave »

No cloves in the fat nor garlic salt on the overnight low oven bakers for more than just Kosher salt, fresh grated pepper flavor & juicyness? Taste is going to need lots more wine & pudding!

Tom2Cast
Master Guide

Post by Tom2Cast »

A successful Prime Rib for a simple recipe on the first try. Easy pattern to follow with just the right amount of herbs, no overwhelming extras to drown out the tastes of the meat, a great recipe, the prime cut was very tender. The au jus, although not shown in the photo (too anxious to eat) I made from the drippings, skimming most of the fat, whisking a bit of flour and adding a butcher's beef broth and a hint of wine was a perfect complement. A good cab and a very nice dinner. Now added to our list of holiday feasts.
Many thanks to all who gave their tips and recipes,
-Tom
Last edited by Tom2Cast on 12/27/14 06:53, edited 1 time in total.

MtBrittany
Master Guide

Post by MtBrittany »

Tom, that looks great! Nicely done.

CJMcK
Sport

Post by CJMcK »

A not-so successful story.

I checked out the serious eats site linked above. A great site. I planned according to their direction; seasoned the roast, rested in the fridge, etc. I planned to slow roast in the kamado then reverse sear in the oven safe enough, right? The grill was off I think. Read 175 but cooked in record time. I checked it when I started getting nervous I started it too late. 150F. Ouch.

Not too sure what happened. The grill thermo might be off. I fried my good one this summer. It was a smaller top sirloin roast, which I had never cooked.

I'm not deterred overall, but it was very disappointed I over cooked Christmas dinner!

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”