Any Prime Rib Chefs?

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

Tom2Cast
Master Guide

Re: Any Prime Rib Chefs?

Post by Tom2Cast »

CJ, happens to just about everyone. I recall going through four Thanksgivings' before getting the perfect turkey gravy. Now I keep e-notes...but I do admire the Man of the House" who cooks. Might sound crazy, if I had to do anything over in my life, it would be to take Home Economics cooking classes in High School instead of Drafting.

"OK...everybody out of the kitchen!"
-Tom

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Tom, your prime rib looks great and your photos are great!

BTW, we have "aged" a roast before. Used a plastic lidded container and drill a bunch of 1/4" holes on all sides and the top for air circulation - place it in the frig for 5-6 days. We did not find a whole lot of difference between our home-aged and no aging, but your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the great thread.

eastprong
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by eastprong »

On aging, you really need to go for at least 30 days before you can develop flavor that penetrates well into the meat. I shoot for 35 days.

More from Serious Eats:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/the- ... -home.html

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Whoa 30-35 days... We may need to try again. Thanks eastprong!

Tom2Cast
Master Guide

Post by Tom2Cast »

The dyed in the wool carnivores will swear by the aging, but for now I'll stick with a USDA fresh prime to satisfy my tastes. Guess there's something about leaving groundchuck in the fridge 30-35 days that still scares the bejesus out of me...referring back to my single life college days.
-Tom

bvandeuson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bvandeuson »

Drag it slowly across a very hot fire to the right, drag it slowly across the fire to the left, a little salt and pepper, eat lol!

BB

cheffy
Master Guide

Post by cheffy »

Before I built a drying cabinet I used Umai bags for aging/drying. In fact I still do for certain items I make for certain people I.e. The wife's niece .
http://www.drybagsteak.com

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

I've been doing it on the outdoor grill's spit using the infrared burner. All I add is some Montreal steak seasoning as a rub before roasting it. I try to catch the drippings in a pan, but the roast turns out so juicy that au jus isn't really needed.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Traditional greek recipe passed on through several generations adapted from lamb to beef:

1. Start with a good piece of meat, USDA choice or prime. If you can get dry aged great, but it won't make or break things, a decent piece of local meat will do great, or even Costco if you are on a budget.
2. 2 days before you are going to cook it, cut up an entire clove of garlic into little chunk about 1/8" to 1/4" square. Cut small slits with a sharp knife and stuff these into the roast, including everywhere you can cut a slit into except the fat, so that you've got a piece of garlic in there about every 1-2" square. Also trim off some fat if you want, a layer of fat is good but it doesn't have to be a massive slab and you can get rid of some of the bigger chunks.
3. Coat the entire business lightly with tomato paste, then liberally with olive oil.
4. Coat liberally with montreal steak seasoning (I like the Costco brand).
5. Let sit in fridge for 2 days.
6. 6 hours before roasting pull the thing out of the fridge and let it warm up to room temp. Put it into an uncovered roasting pan fat side up right on the pan, it helps to tie up the roast with twine to keep it supported.
7. Hit is at about 500 degrees for 10-15 mins then roast at 320 until it hits your doneness minus about 5-10 degrees. Use a good digital thermometer and check every 10 mins when you start getting close.
8. Pull out the roast, put on a board and cover with aluminum foil. Let it rest 20-30 mins this is critical.
9. Carve, serve and get ready to have your world rocked!

flyfishermann1955
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishermann1955 »

My wife started making prime rib as our Christmas meal when we were first married. It’s so much easier than the traditional turkey we always have for Thanksgiving. A few years ago, her parents moved out here to be closer to us. Her dad likes his meat well done, so we switched our Christmas meal to individual steaks, so everyone can have their meat cooked the way they want.

Seeing this post made me want to have prime rib again. I brought one home last weekend that had 3 ribs and weighed 4.76 pounds. I made a dry rub with sea salt, pepper, garlic, and some all-season salt.

I followed Troutwings method of starting at 450 degrees and then reducing the heat to 325 after 20 minutes. It took an additional 66 minutes to reach 135 degrees on the meat thermometer. At this point I removed it from the oven, covered it with foil, and let it rest for 15 minutes. By this time the temperature was 142 degrees.

We paired it with garlic mashed potatoes and carrots with a cinnamon/maple syrup glaze and a bottle of cab.

With the bones and leftover meat, my wife made a giant pot of vegetable soup, which has been great since the Arctic air has moved in and stayed too long.

Thanks- Ken

Tom2Cast
Master Guide

Post by Tom2Cast »

Nice Ken,
looks better than the House of Prime Rib!
And I'll take your word that it tastes as good as it looks.
-Tom

Luke the Dog
Sport

Post by Luke the Dog »

The Serious Eats method posted above is absolutely the BEST prime rib I have ever had!

My mother-in-law prefers the old midwest "bake at 400 until it resembles a used radial tire in texture and flavor then douse in gravy" method...I don't know how my father-in-law eats it with a smile on his face every holiday...

klingon
Master Guide

Post by klingon »

Cooked a small prime rib last night for my wife and I according to troutwings instructions. It turned out awesome. Thank-you Dennis.

thramerrods
Guide

Post by thramerrods »

I have made a 12- 14 lb rib roast for my birthday every year for the last dozen or so and invite friends and family over. Gifts are discouraged, just bring a healthy appetite because I am fond of 1" thick slabs. My own sour cream mashed potatoes, sour cream and horseradish dip and a great big slice of meat.
On to the roast technique I use:
Liberal coating of kosher salt and fresh ground pepper then I put it in my smoker for 2 - 3 hours using hickory. After that it goes in the oven (or the Traeger) at 250 degrees until it gets to 127 degrees. Pull and rest for 30 while making au jus.

while a prime grade roast is sublime this makes even a choice grade melt in your mouth. I try to look for the misgraded ones or roasts that were just a smidgen too lean or the marbling was a bit too coarse for a prime. depends on how well things are going that year.

we have 5 birthdays plus Christmas in December so everyone is a bit overextended and frankly just plain tired by the 28th, that is why I started to do this

Zeddediah
Guide

Post by Zeddediah »

My take on Lawry's (the restaurant) prime rib. Line a deep pan with brown butcher paper. place about 1/2" of rock salt on the bottom of the pan. Spice the roast with bourbon-barrel smoked black pepper, Worcestershire powder (must be the powder), powdered garlic, and I like rosemary and thyme, then place on bed of rock salt. Insert thermometer. then bury the entire roast in rock salt covering about an 3/4". Spritz the surface of the rock salt with water to completely moisten it but not soak it. Cook at 325-350 (I like the roast rare to medium rare and use 350. Cook until the thermometer hits the desired level of doneness. Remove from oven and let rest for about 20 minutes. With a clean hammer, crack the rock salt and remove the roast from the salt oven. The roast comes out perfect, and not salty at all. Hmmmm, delicious.
"Libertas et natale solum."
Or, as John Belushi might say, "Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?"

raspberry-patch
Sport

Post by raspberry-patch »

Christmas holiday dinners are either Rack of Lamb or Prime-Rib. There are similarities with previous replies, but the key elements for me:

* Meat no less than 4lbs (2kg) with some in and fat on - very important
* Warm meat with rub - sage and salt (I have a grama masala mix my mumbai (actually northeast) that I cannot replicate and use)

* On Barbecue
* Sear at high heat
* Remove from BBQ and turn heat to low
* Place in foil and tent and insert instant thermometer
* Cook at low - very important
* Remove at desired doneness (medium-rare) when thermometer says it is done
* Wait 10 minutes before carving

I once over-salted, and it was noticeable on first cut, so you can salt to much or be prepare to lose the edge.

I think Prime Rib is forgiving and can be very personal, but it must be a large piece and cooked slow!

ps ... the other family festival favourite is Nabeyaki Udon, but I think that is too far off the beaten track.

Jaimec
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Jaimec »

This is what I did last Wednesday.....12 17lb Prime Grade Double R Ranch primes for a party at work. Freaking fantastic!
They were comped by Double R, as they were for a party for our CEO....nice!
Jaime
"Custom Made Silk Fly Lines, Tenkara and Furled Leaders, Hand Made in the USA"

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

Major drool factor.
Look forward to more pics of that if possible, Jaime!

Jaimec
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Jaimec »

ablecane wrote:Major drool factor.
Look forward to more pics of that if possible, Jaime!
Sorry, I worked down to the last possible minute, so no further pics! :( Hell of an event, though!
Jaime
"Custom Made Silk Fly Lines, Tenkara and Furled Leaders, Hand Made in the USA"

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”