Any Prime Rib Chefs?

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

eastprong
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Any Prime Rib Chefs?

Post by eastprong »

When you do the reverse sear and start with a low temperature, there is very little residual heat so it will hold just fine for a long time. 230 is OK -- try something closer to 200-210 -- even better. Start early and keep at room temp until the final blast. The center will cool if you don't blast it within 30 minutes, but you can compensate by a well-heated platter and plates.

--Rich

tkerr7735
Master Guide

Post by tkerr7735 »

Holiday season. Time to resurrect the thread.

We host New Years Eve each year. This year, we are 12 for dinner, and I'm doing a reverse seared standing rib roast. I go all-in for NYE and have scoured the Internet for meat suppliers.

There's no such thing as prime rib to a serious butcher. Prime or Choice are the highest grades of any cut of beef. Standing rib roast is the cut. (Grocery store chains sell prime rib roasts.) Even after looking at American Wagyu and Snake River Farms, I decided that Costco was surprisingly the best source for me. Prime and choice grade standing rib roasts are available there seasonally - mostly for the Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Eve times of year. They sell bone-in Choice grade standing rib roasts. They don't sell Prime grade bone-in any more. They will specially trim and sell bone-off prime grade Ribeye Roasts that look absolutely fabulous. I bought a full 12 lb'er. Can't wait to get started.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

On sale around here at Jewel grocery stores for $4.99/lb. Can't beat that with a stick! Yep, tis the season.

tkerr7735
Master Guide

Post by tkerr7735 »

Sure you can. That's not Choice or Prime grade. It's grocery store crap like I get at Food Lion.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

USDA Certified Choice - just bought two this morning.

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

My experience is that the Costco Prime beef really is graded true USDA Prime. Probably in the range of $/18/pound. I really don't think you will find true USDA graded Prime beef in many ,if any, chain groceries without a special order. My experience anyway. No offense hopefully to other posters.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Just brought my aged, bone in standing rib roast home from Heebs in Bozeman. They are almost out of rib roasts, over 2 TONS have been snatched up by holiday revelers like me. They use beef from central MT that is shipped to Kansas for finishing. Beef need to lay down to marble properly and KS is the ideal spot for it. The meat is aged to perfection and I watched the butcher lug out a huge set of ribs that he declared "a good one" and cut me a 7lb roast. Floated off the bones, frenched it, and tied it. I can hardly wait for tomorrow!! Popovers, cranberry sauce, braised Kale,roasted roots, candied yams and Pecan Pie are on the menu! Merry Christmas!
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Doug Murdoch
Master Guide
Location: Ormstown, Quebec, about 20 miles North of the NYS border and the Adirondacks.

Post by Doug Murdoch »

I tell my butcher that if he cuts it off the bones and cuts the layer of fat to tie it back on I won't pay for it. As a top grade standing rib roast costs well over 100 CAD (The last one was 168 CAD) and he can't be sure he could find another client to buy it they listen to me.

I roast it in a preheated oven at 450 DF for 13 minutes a pound and let it stand covered for 10 minutes. It comes out as a rare steak.

A good knife takes care of the rest.

For roast potatoes I par-boil them first and finish them round the roast. 450 DF is perfect for Yorkshire pudding.
'Study to be quiet'.

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”