" duplicated"?

A place to discuss those classic and vintage fly reels, classics include modern variations of those of vintage. Please add your photos, stories or just join in conversation about your reels.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Swaukkid68
Guide

" duplicated"?

Post by Swaukkid68 »

Somewhere I read " duplicated " as on Hardy reels happened after 1923. The story was it ment the reel had a spare pawl and spring. Now, I'm told it means the parts are interchangeable ? My question, "obviously " , does anyone actually know the whole truth ? I 'm dying to know. Please. Thanx , in advance. Dave

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: " duplicated"?

Post by SpringCreek »

I think the intended use of the term "duplicated" is one of those things that no one will ever be 100% sure of. The most common belief is that it referred to the spare spring and pawl that was added in the final version of the Mk II check. However, that does not explain why there are reels stamped MK I duplicated that have just a single pawl and spring. (There are also reels stamped Mk 2 Duplicated with a single pawl and spring as well. Both pre 1923). This led rise to the theory that the term duplicated actually referred to the standardization and interchangeability of parts, which does seem somewhat likely given the "duplicated" term was in use prior to the introduction of the spare spring and pawl.

I don't think anyone can ever be certain of why the term was first used, so a definitive answer is unlikely.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bulldog1935 »

we are indeed quite certain what it means.
It means the parts are interchangeable between reels.
It is defined as this in my 1917 Hardy catalog - I'll find it later and post.
It's the basic philosophy for mass production.
Before that, parts from one bench might not interchange with a reel from another bench.

Now with Medalist, -DA never meant double action. It's the Shakespeare date code for 1970 model-change year.

make sure you believe everything you read on the internet :popcorn and add to the confusion whenver you can

Swaukkid68
Guide

Post by Swaukkid68 »

Thank you again !I figured I could count on you to come through . But , was that sarcasm? , the part about " if it's on the Internet , it's true "? Gotta love that . Thank you thank you! Keep the faith . Fish on file on ! Dave

Doublehauler
Master Guide

Post by Doublehauler »

I always thought DA on a Pflueger meant it was made in Akron, O.,, Like the HK meant Hong Kong in the off shore era.

Jim J.

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bulldog1935 »

no, -DA very specifically indicates made in Fayetville, AR - you can see the Pflueger plant from Interstate 40 - at least you could when I was growing up (guess it's just a distribution center now).

There is no HK - would be a Shakespeare reel date code of 1931, excepting Shakespeare began date codes in 1932.

-CJ is 1983 model change year (coincided with production change to Japan)
-AK is 2001 model change year (coincided with production change to China)

J Gustavsson
Master Guide

Post by J Gustavsson »

A friend of mine bought a 30's 3-1/8" dup mark II Perfect. The outer diameter of this reel is actually not even 3" more like 2-15/16"
So to find fitting spare parts for this reel wouldn't be easy.. Maybe just an exception, but it's certainly not interchangeable with other 3-1/8's...

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Post by fishnbanjo »

Duplicated referred to the springs and pawls no longer being individually made, or supplied, by the reel maker they were interchangeable stock duplicate items this actually came about in 1917 with the Mk I Duplicated and referred to in Hardy's catalog. Later in the early 20's a spare set of spring and pawl was added making it the Mk II, I don't have the exact date as to when the second set came as an additional fully enlargeable assembly but it did happen nonetheless. There are trout size springs and pawls for trout reels and salmon reel sizes, obviously these were not meant to be used on different series but duplicate across the series to be sure. Not sure when spools were standardized as I don't recall having read it among my many pieces of Hardy pamphlets, books etc. my guess it was after WW II but that is a guess on my part and not meant to be used as factual information re: spool interchangeability. Regards..............
banjo
J Gustavsson wrote:A friend of mine bought a 30's 3-1/8" dup mark II Perfect. The outer diameter of this reel is actually not even 3" more like 2-15/16"
So to find fitting spare parts for this reel wouldn't be easy.. Maybe just an exception, but it's certainly not interchangeable with other 3-1/8's...

J Gustavsson
Master Guide

Post by J Gustavsson »

Great information, Banjo! :)

Return to “Classic Fly Reels”