Fitted Storage Frame

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

JosephR
Sport

Fitted Storage Frame

Post by JosephR »

I have an old bamboo rod courtesy of eBay. It came with a beautifully made wooden frame with cutouts exactly fitted for each piece of the rod and covered with what looks like felt or velvet. The ties are replacements that I put on it.

I'm pretty sure this nice piece of artistry has a proper name, but have no idea what it is.

Can anyone tell me what it's called?

Last edited by JosephR on 01/26/23 19:46, edited 1 time in total.

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Fitted Storage Frame

Post by canerodscom »

I most often hear the "frames" called "Form Fit cases".
Last edited by canerodscom on 12/09/15 09:51, edited 1 time in total.

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

Joseph,
Most likely your rod is an early Montague, looks like you live close to where I grew up in Liberty Missouri. Enjoy the old rod.

Tim

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

Nice mortised rod.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

I know them as "External Cases" but there is probably a more definitive name.

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

JosephR,

Your rod is a very nice example of a Montague made mortised rod. Montague advertised them as "cedar inlaid" as they mortised cedar wedges between the cane as it extends into the grip. This style was very popular from around the turn of the century up until about 1930. This is probably my favorite rod style.

The "wooden frame" is typically referred to as a "wooden form case", or "form fitted case". From a Montague ad for this rod model, "packed in a green velvet covered form, recessed to protect the guides".

Here's a link to another recent thread on the topic of these mortised rods:
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=83669&p=642575&hil ... ed#p642575

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

JosephR
Sport

Post by JosephR »

Thanks for all the info, especially about it's maker, since I was told it may have been made by one of the Hardy Bros. apprentices. Nice story, but I'd rather have the truth.

This rod is completely unmarked. Is that unusual for an early Montague?

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

It is normal for early Montague rods to be unmarked. Probably over 95% of the Montague rods built before 1930 or so were not marked with their brand. The reason was that they only sold wholesale. If it was marked, it was typically marked for the retailer. They were the world's largest supplier of split bamboo rods for nearly a century. They supplied rods to most of the big retailers, including L.L. Bean, Abercrombie & Fitch, EK Tryon (Kingfisher and Jay Harvey brands), Sears & Roebuck (J.C. Higgins brand), Montgomery Wards, Shapleigh Hardware (Diamond Edge brand), Dame Stoddard, Abbey & Imbrie, and even Pflueger.

Many retailers ordered stock models from Montague's wholesale catalog, and had the rod sock or tube labeled by Montague, or labeled them themselves with their own model names and brands. For instance, Marshall Wells Hardware of Duluth, MN ordered a particular Montague rod model from their wholesale catalog and had Montague label the rods with a "Big Bill Tackle" logo on the shaft, and Nepigon as the model name on the rod sock, in reference to the Nepigon River in Ontario, Canada.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

FF Papa
Master Guide

Post by FF Papa »

The rod is a early Montague and if you search here I asked about it around seven years ago just after I restored it. I then sold it on the auction site. I also still have the twin to it that I restored at the same time. I can tell it's the same rod by the wraps I added.
FFP

JosephR
Sport

Post by JosephR »

Sorry, FFP but it's not the same rod.

Here's the one you posted:
As you can see, it has a metal (aluminum?) cap covering a shorter tapered section where mine has a longer tapered section with the cedar inlays mostly exposed.

More to the point, I bought this rod unrestored in 2000 and had it restored by the late Mike "Bamboo Man" Longuil.
Last edited by JosephR on 03/21/15 08:07, edited 2 times in total.

JosephR
Sport

Post by JosephR »

And thanks for all the info, Rex. I have three bamboo rods and apparently all of them are Montagues. In addition to this one I have two Sunbeams, one on the bench in need of serious repair (the subject of a different thread - if I get a 7' 6" rod out of it I'll be lucky), and one that is effectively brand new - the paper label is still on the handle!

JosephR
Sport

Post by JosephR »

Rex, a couple more questions - any idea of when it was made (beyond pre-1930) and what its current value might be? I'm thinking of selling it. Yeah, I know - I'm nuts. But I'm getting to the point where, though I can still fish a six-ounce rod all day long, I feel it the next day and REALLY feel it the third day. It's beautiful enough to be a splendid wall-hanger, but it's too good a rod not to fish.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

I have seen them described in rod catalogs as form cases or, as seen in the 1907 Chubb catalog, wood forms. Chubb was a major supplier but seems to have not been the only one. Don't know who else sold them wholesale.

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

JosephR,

Unfortunately, it is difficult to put a date on a rod like this one. Montague built rods of this style, sporting basically the same hardware style, from around the turn of the century until the early 1930's. The wooden form cases were phased out about the same time. If it was made with Calcutta cane, I would place its build date in the earlier third of that range. The pictures are not close enough for a lot of detail, but it looks like Tonkin Cane from what I can see.

Value wise, I'd put a price tag of between $100 and $200, depending on a few variables not mentioned or shown. A lot depends on the length and the quality level. A shorter, higher quality rod would fetch the higher end of this range. We'd be talking about an 8'6" rod with 4 or 5 snake guides on the tip sections. If the rod is 9'6" or longer, not many people would buy it to fish with. If it's 9' with 3 snake guides on the tip sections, I'd put the value at about $125 to $150 in nice, fishable shape.

Just my 2 cents...

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

DGC

Post by DGC »

Rudely adding to someone else’s old thread, but keen to save and share this small piece of ephemara …

While plucking up the courage to refurbish what I believe to be an old Montague trade rod I thought I would start with its grooved wood form. I have stripped off the torn and tattered blue velvet. In the recess for the handle there is writing in pencil. I am guessing this is some form of identifier for a worker on piece work with the initials BV.

My interpretation: 1 4 (indecipherableFly) 9 1/2 BV

Brit retired in France. Enthusiastic but incompetent angler. Loves old rods, reels and the associated history. ;)

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Oriental

JosephR
Sport

Post by JosephR »

Since this seems to have resurfaced again after nearly eight years (and no, DGC, it's not rude), I updated my original post to replace the pictures that were no longer shown since Photobucket kicked the bucket. I love the writing inside yours, just wish I could see a clearer picture of it.

I should also add that because of the cedar inserts above the cork, I now believe that my rod was built in 1900 by George Varney. That was the year he worked for Montague, and if he didn't build it, somebody he trained did.

Rex, what do you think?

DGC

Post by DGC »

Thank you Steeliefool.

“1 4 Oriental Fly 9 1/2 BV” it is!
Brit retired in France. Enthusiastic but incompetent angler. Loves old rods, reels and the associated history. ;)

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

JosephR,
I don't believe the rod you have posted was built as early as 1900. It appears to be made with Tonkin cane, which was only used on a few of their high end rods around this time. Your rod was a mid grade rod in their line-up at the time it was built.

Your rod has snake guides, which were only used on Montague's high end rods through at least 1905. Mid grade to lower end rods were still sporting hanging ring guides prior to 1905 or so.

Based on the reel seat styling, use of Tonkin cane and snake guides used, I'd guess your rod was built some time between 1915 and 1930. This model, and others like it did not change significantly for over 20 years and were offered in both Montague and Chubb catalogs.
JosephR wrote: I now believe that my rod was built in 1900 by George Varney. That was the year he worked for Montague, and if he didn't build it, somebody he trained did.
Per your comment above, George Varney began working for Montague in 1895. He worked for them off and on through the early 1930's. It is my understanding that he was hired to be their head rod maker and designer. He probably brought his machinery with him and helped Montague achieve some major upgrades in their machinery and processes. From the time he started there, through the length of his career with them, I believe George Varney heavily influenced the design and processing for most of the high end of the Montague line. I believe that once he went to work for Montague, his hands-on rod building days were probably over. He probably never physically built or worked on any rods that were sold by Montague. Rods like yours were built in batches of hundreds of rods per day, and would not have warranted their head rod maker's personal touch.

Your rod is in awesome shape! The wraps appear to be original, the cork grip has basically no soiling and the reel seat looks pristine, without being scratched up by cleaning. This cedar mortised styling is one of my favorite rod styles sold by Montague.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”