Valdex

A place to discuss those classic and vintage fly reels, classics include modern variations of those of vintage. Please add your photos, stories or just join in conversation about your reels.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

mrriver
Sport

Valdex

Post by mrriver »

T
Last edited by mrriver on 02/16/16 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Valdex

Post by bulldog1935 »

I would try getting a little Zap CA+ into the gaps - careful, this stuff will glue your fingers together.

mrriver
Sport

Post by mrriver »

T
Last edited by mrriver on 02/16/16 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bulldog1935 »

note there's a July '62 date embossed in your backplate.
This reel was actually invented as an unassembled kit, to find a market niche as a VAT-free purchase when the tax was brand-new.
The styling was 25 years ahead of Ari Hart.

journeyman

Post by journeyman »

And I didn't know there were two sizes of Valdex. One of my favorites as well. Another one on my list of favorites is a 3 1/4" Beaudex with the asymmetrical pawls. When the springs are tweaked just right they can have a surprisingly refined feel, all the while built like tanks.
jacobscattle.com instrumental Roots/Americana music

basingp
Sport

Post by basingp »

Howdy mrriver and all those responding to this post,

I too have a modest few Young reels and they have never failed me. But I do have a few questions on the Valdex. How did you remove the spring and pawl posts? Did you do any paint touch up work to the front and/or back reel back sideplates? If you did, what did you use to match the black? Mine is in pretty good condition, but I would like to thoroughly clean and do some touch up.

thanx for any info.
The LORD bless and keep you... garypaul <'(((>{

Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not depend on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. 2 Cor 1:9

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bulldog1935 »

Valdex - the springs and pawls themselves are what hold the stanchions (pivots and anchors) in place.
To remove the springs, I use a popsicle stick and push from the inside.

For Beaudex and Pridex,
the pawl stanchion is riveted, and the spring stanchion is a screw and nut (when I order parts from Garry Mill in UK, I try to pick up any of these he has - would have to check to see if I have any now).
On Condex, both are rivets, but the easiest way to convert a Condex to LHW is to drill out the riveted spring stanchion and replace it with one of the Pridex/Beaudex spring stanchions (check spring anchor screw).

basingp
Sport

Post by basingp »

Thanx so much bulldog. Have you ever tried to restore the black paint on any of your young reels?

God bless - garypaul

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bulldog1935 »

never have - about the only thing I do is touch-up bare aluminum with aluminum black (arsenic-sulfuric acid)
when I drill and tap a Beaudex to move the line guard, I do the same thing on the new threads.

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

I remember when VAT (Value added tax) was introduced in the UK, being there at the time, 1973.

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bulldog1935 »

then it was an similar tax with a different name, but it was a home-market tax on manufactured products that didn't have to be paid on kits

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

The UK had but one consumer tax from 1940 until the introduction of VAT in 1973, it was called the Purchase Tax which in 1943 seemed to run at a heady 100% before steadying down to 33 1/3% in 1946.This tax (unlike VAT) was applied at point of manufacture rather than point of sale, hence the Value Added, I suppose.

A tax free kit form reel sounds somewhat odd to me as it would be only partly a kit, several components being affixed together like the check wheel, foot/sole, spindle, line guard pillars plus the handle of course.

Would there have been ads. at the time that this is a less expensive tax free reel, or sticker on the box possibly, so that anglers would know.

JimmyB11
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by JimmyB11 »

There was a purchase tax levied in the UK starting in 1940 that ended in 1973. That was when the VAT was imposed that still exists in EU at this time. The UK was in tough shape after WWII as like all countries they decided that additional sales taxes were a quick way to raise money. To save face they "deemed" that luxury goods would have a higher tax much like Canada does with alcohol and tobacco. This way the government could trick the populous into thinking that the tax is only on luxury good but in reality there were stout taxes placed on everything, but the luxury items had an even steeper tax.

I suspect that this is where the confusion surrounding the Valdex and other reels is concerned. The Purchase Tax on these reels was 1/6 of the selling price or 16.7%. There was no purchase tax on food, books, children's clothing and other "essential" items. There were much higher rates of purchase tax on what was deemed a luxury. The Parliament was always making changes to what was deemed luxury to curry favor as they needed. I suspect the fishing tackle lads had their friends and in the House and found ways to get their goods rated at a lower rate. Since the item helped the constituent gather food stuffs that would hardly be considered a luxury now would it? So there was tax relief offered on some goods, perhaps the Valdex was one of them?

The purchase tax was levied on the wholesale price and was not transparent like the VAT this also adds to the difficulty the consumer had knowing what rate was assigned to the item as the tax was now a hidden cost.

Return to “Classic Fly Reels”