Lamson Spool 45 or 56?

A place to discuss those classic and vintage fly reels, classics include modern variations of those of vintage. Please add your photos, stories or just join in conversation about your reels.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

rwd

Lamson Spool 45 or 56?

Post by rwd »

I'm obviously a newbe and have joined this board to identify whether the two spools I have are 45 or 56.

My reason is that I wish to sell these spools as they have not been used for several decades. Due to shoulder problems I can no longer cast a fly rod. Unfortunately I will not be a contributor.

Had hoped that there would be the option of providing a picture, however, it does not appear to be available.

The diameter of the fly reel at the rim is 7.9 cm. and the inside width of the spool is 2 cm.

Thanks in advance for any help in determining which spools I have.

Bob

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Lamson Spool 45 or 56?

Post by bulldog1935 »

without a photo, dimensions are not enough to identify the spool. To me, Lamsons come in LP- and -Lite and none of the models are named 45 56.

While I couldn't find a posting photo stickie on this forum, here are the instructions on an allied forum using the same php format.
http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/v ... f=8&t=2353

rwd

Post by rwd »

Thanks so much for your response

I dug deeper and found out the the fly reel is the:

Martin "M IV" Series Machined Open Frame Single Action Fly Reel with Dual Pawl Adjustable Drags.

Would this Fly Reel be suitable for a repost on the Classic Fly Reels Forum to determine if it is the LM45 or LM 56 spool?

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bulldog1935 »

Martin LM45 or 56.
We call this reel the poor man's CFO. A truly great click-pawl reel with a fan club here and FFR.

The size you quoted is a Martin LM45, the equivalent reel with a Browning Strata trademark is the MZ34.

Return to “Classic Fly Reels”