Identifying a Winston Fly Rod

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Okietiger

Identifying a Winston Fly Rod

Post by Okietiger »

Hello all. Looking for some help figuring out exactly what I have in hand. I just picked up a Winston 9 ft., 6 wt., 5 piece rod serial #83799 with a "LT" designation at an estate sale. It has a zebra wood seat and an uplocking silver or nickel/silver rings. Came with it's own tube and sock. Looks like it hasn't been used.

I can't find anything about this rod on Winston's site. Can anyone help me ID the material (assuming graphite, generation?) and speed of this thing? It is beautifully made and I'm all geeked up to use it but would like to learn a little more.

Thanks in advance!

BGreer
Master Guide

Re: Identifying a Winston Fly Rod

Post by BGreer »

You bought a nice rod.

This forum is more geared towards bamboo fly rods, but here is something I found on another site:

LT: These incredibly smooth-casting, 5-piece Winston fly rods fish wonderfully and travel exceptionally well. They feature soft tips, rod actions that are slightly faster and crisper than our WT series, and, of course, the distinctive feel found only in a Winston. Our internal spigot ferrule system ensures that the taper and internal diameter of one section of the rod exactly matches that of the adjoining section. The performance of these rods is unmatched in the category. An LT-5 piece is a superb choice, whether you're hiking into the backcountry or just heading out for a day's fishing. Line weights 2-6.

Okietiger

Post by Okietiger »

Thank you BGreer. That is helpful. Appreciate the response.

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bulldog1935 »

they are IM6 graphite

Okietiger

Post by Okietiger »

Thank you Bulldog!

durangofly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by durangofly »

Okietiger . . .

The measure of the rod will, of course, be how you like it--how well it suits you and your purposes--but I can tell you that the 9' 6 wt. LT is among my all time favorite graphite rods, and a wonderful configuration for carrying in a pack or for travel.

I've never owned that particular rod. By the time they were introduced I already had a 9' 6 wt. 3-piece Winston IM6 and wasn't in the market for another in that length and weight, but a good friend I used to regularly go down into the Black Canyon of the Gunnison with had that very rod. I've fished it, and I loved it.

The LT was a bit stiffer overall than most other Winstons of the time, but nothing like the really stiff rods that were coming from makers like Sage and Loomis at about the same time.

It's a great rod for tossing big flies on big water--I especially liked it for big stoneflies (dries and nymphs) in the canyon and I think you'll find that it will do anything you'd typically ask of a 9' 6 wt., and do it with a wonderful blend of both power and "feel".

A beautifully made rod.
Great find!

Congratulations!
I fish . . . not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many other concerns of men are equally unimportant--and not nearly so much fun.

Robert Traver

JoeFriday
Sport

Post by JoeFriday »

Are all LT's IM6 rods? I have a 8'3" 4wt LT and it doesn't feel like a typical IM6 rod. But that might be because of the 4 ferrules. It's a great pack rod, but as has been said, it's a bit stiffer than a typical classic Winston.
I've got more sticks than I can shake a fish at.

danelexi

Post by danelexi »

Lt's are at low end of the Winston line - but still better than most on the market.

chform
Guide

Post by chform »

LT was in the premium range. Not in the low end at all. One of the best graphite series ever made.

Christian
Christian Hörgren Fine Tackle
http://www.finetackle.blogspot.com

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

chform wrote:LT was in the premium range. Not in the low end at all. One of the best graphite series ever made.

Christian
Ditto. My wife has that rod and uses it for drift boat fishing. Not low end and not IM6. Winston stopped using the IM6 after serial # 42,000 or thereabouts.

tay1only

Post by tay1only »

You can contact Winston at this Number. Phone: 406.684.5674
Give them the serial number of your rod and they will help you with any information you wish. To include the date the rod was made.
By the way Great Rod!

Brooktrout3333
Sport

Post by Brooktrout3333 »

It is my understanding Winston, used some of there warehoused Loomis IM6 blanks long pass serial number 45000. In fact I have number 67800 and it’s a IM6 Loomis blank Winston . I’ve heard that the leftover Loomis blanks were used in a few odd sizes and configurations until at least #75000 and perhaps beyond. So there’s the possibility of a IM6 rod with a SN beyond 45000. If on your rod with the weight and length there’s a IM6 or WT, that’s a Winston blank .. if only the weight and length appear with (no ) IM6 or WT and it’s before number 75,000 .. it could be a Loomis IM6 .

Return to “General discussion”