Ari Hart reels- Looking for a brief but thorough history

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

bamboo sprout
Sport

Post by bamboo sprout »

Terje,
you are right - a rare form of the ARAS model. But much more interesting is the reel feet. It seems like stainless steel instead of titanium. Also the two screws are special too. Don´t now if it´s made by Ari himself or anybody PIMPED that reel? I´ll ask Ari next time for this special feet.

Regards
Niklas

Norwayboo
Guide

Post by Norwayboo »

Hi Niklas

All the screws on this reel are of the allenkey type! I know as Terje bought the reel from me. The foot is a very nice touch as well, and as you say highly unusual.

Ken M 44
Administrator

Post by Ken M 44 »

But
much more interesting is the reel feet. It seems like stainless steel
instead of titanium. Also the two screws are special too. Don´t now if
it´s made by Ari himself or anybody PIMPED that reel? I´ll ask Ari next
time for this special feet.
Niklas - I noticed that also and have never seen such a foot or fixing on an Aras before - maybe another question for Ari also - I had made an assumption that on (lets say almost) all his Aras reels excepting the opalised or bare metal ones the colour of the handle would match the colour of the drag knob unless the spool had been changed from the original?

Norwayboo
Guide

Post by Norwayboo »

Ken M 44 wrote:
But
much more interesting is the reel feet. It seems like stainless steel
instead of titanium. Also the two screws are special too. Don´t now if
it´s made by Ari himself or anybody PIMPED that reel? I´ll ask Ari next
time for this special feet.
Niklas - I noticed that also and have never seen such a foot or fixing on an Aras before - maybe another question for Ari also - I had made an assumption that on (lets say almost) all his Aras reels excepting the opalised or bare metal ones the colour of the handle would match the colour of the drag knob unless the spool had been changed from the original?

Actually
the dragknob matches the handle, but the knob securing the spool is of a
different colour, almost like the colour of a SAGE ARAS. This reel
sports quite a few interesting features.

Ken M 44
Administrator

Post by Ken M 44 »

Yes - spool securing knob is what I meant to say Image

bamboo sprout
Sport

Post by bamboo sprout »

Ken M 44 wrote:Yes - spool securing knob is what I meant to say Image
Hi Ken,

yes, drag, knob, handle and the spool securing ring (knob?) must be in same color (gold, black, philips-brown, opalized, ...) to guarantee an original Ari´t Hart model (REMCO, ARAS, RAINBOW) and not a fake by changing any parts.
Regards
Niklas

Ken M 44
Administrator

Post by Ken M 44 »

Niklas,

Thank you, that is what I had always thought to be the case.

Norwayboo
Guide

Post by Norwayboo »

bamboo sprout wrote:
Ken M 44 wrote:Yes - spool securing knob is what I meant to say Image
Hi Ken,

yes, drag, knob, handle and the spool securing ring (knob?) must be in same color (gold, black, philips-brown, opalized, ...) to guarantee an original Ari´t Hart model (REMCO, ARAS, RAINBOW) and not a fake by changing any parts.
Regards
Niklas
Does one offcoloured part make a reel fake? I believe not, but I guess that isn't what you meant either Niklas. This is without question an authentic ARAS, but what the details of it's origin are is not clear. I have seen too many oneoffs and variants of ATH reels to be very surprised by anything anymore. My very subjective guess is that Ari put this reel together with parts he had available. Since I've held this reel in my own hands I can "guarantee" the authenticy of the parts it is made off - at least I couldn't tell them apart from the other ARASes I have in my collection, and I've taken them all to pieces at one time or the other. Another special case here is that the allenkey screws are everywhere on this reel, not only on the reelfoot.

djs4trees

Post by djs4trees »

I have this ATH reel that I bought new a number of years ago and I have not used it enough to keep. Does anyone know of a good resale outlet for this reel besides Ebay? I'm not really sure what kind it is though ( maybe Ari I?). the only markings are a label on the spool that says "made in Holland" and two small fish on the mount. I would appreciate any help you all could give on this.  

Norwayboo
Guide

Post by Norwayboo »

djs4trees wrote:I have this ATH reel that I bought new a number of years ago and I have not used it enough to keep. Does anyone know of a good resale outlet for this reel besides Ebay? I'm not really sure what kind it is though ( maybe Ari I?). the only markings are a label on the spool that says "made in Holland" and two small fish on the mount. I would appreciate any help you all could give on this.  
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Your reel is an Ari I in what seems like the "titanium" anodizing. Why not try to sell it here on the forum?

Joergen

Burki110

Post by Burki110 »

Hello
Would Be interested in the Ari I if its intitanium colour
What is a reasonable price for the reel?
Burki

clossman

Post by clossman »

Hello all. I'm new to this site and not particularly experienced at posting on forums. Can anyone tell me where the best place to post a want for a Ari 1 reel would be ? Thanks in advance, Steve

Norwayboo
Guide

Post by Norwayboo »

Welcome to the forum Steve. Post a WTB in the Classifieds section. 

labtrout

Post by labtrout »

Today I saw a nice, used ATH F3 (Rio Taupe, I believe) for sale at a local shop. Serial #05xx. Is that a later reel? Anyone give an estimate of what it should sell for? Thanks

brooksriver
Sport

Post by brooksriver »

Up until a month ago I didn't know this boxed set existed.  The reels are rich dark brown -- much darker than the typical Aras or Remco.  Anyone aware of when this set was made or how many boxed sets were made?
ImageImageImage
Last edited by brooksriver on 04/30/11 10:19, edited 1 time in total.

Ken M 44
Administrator

Post by Ken M 44 »

Up until a month ago I didn't know this boxed set existed. 
Up until your post I didn't know they existed - absolutely stunning and a wonderful find !

Depending on how the sequential numbering worked as in they could be numbered for all types of custom sets or sequentially for just this type of set then there could be 7 more (at least) either the same or different combinations. I suspect they were one of pieces put together by Ari to special order.
However I think that the box itself suggest a hand made one off rather than a production run or series.
I know one of my ci pieces (a 24k gold reel) was one of only 3 and for many pieces there were 10 to 30 made. For the short reel runs Ari often numbered in the style '0330' to mean #03 of 30 but without that I would suggest that the actual quantity made was subject to orders so he left the numbering open ended.

Norwayboo
Guide

Post by Norwayboo »

Never seen one like it, and MAN am I jealous if it's in your possession!

bamboo sprout
Sport

Post by bamboo sprout »

Hello brooksriver,

this boxes where built in a number of 20 in 1990/92. I know as well this
philipsbrown/silver version as black too. You are right - the
philipsbrown is much darker than the common color.

In my second book I will present this box in detail (and a lot of high desirable ATH reels too).

Regards

Niklas

PS: I tried to upload a picture of a box, but it seems I´m too stupid to do that. What´s to do to load it from my HD in my album?

bamboo sprout
Sport

Post by bamboo sprout »

Oh wonder of technic, I was successful at least. Here is my picture...

Niklas

Norwayboo
Guide

Post by Norwayboo »

Another book Niklas??! I'm looking forward to it! The first one was a great inspiration.

Return to “Classic Reels”