Ari Hart reels- Looking for a brief but thorough history

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Paul B
Master Guide

Post by Paul B »

Is there a forecast date/year  for the new book ?

bamboo sprout
Sport

Post by bamboo sprout »

Hope the book is ready in end of 2011/start of 2012.

Salmo Trutta

Post by Salmo Trutta »

Niklas,

Do you still want pictures of my electric blue Stu Apte Bonefish/Permit that Ari made for me for use in the book? I sent you some quick pictures ages ago when we corresponded on Ari.

Let me know, Ian.

RobG

Post by RobG »

Just recently, I purchased an ATH Remco reel with an extra spool from an E*** seller. It's in excellent condition, but my problem is with adjusting the drag. I have tried adjusting the large indented knob at the backside of the reel (opposite the knurled spool release knob on the front), and could not get it to budge either way. I didn't want to damage the reel, so I sent an email to the seller, who as of yet, has not replied. So here I am with my first post to this forum, asking for any assistance to solve this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob

swedtool
Sport

Post by swedtool »

Hi Robg

The position of the oneway bearing is very important

It requires special tools to adjust that.

RobG

Post by RobG »

swedtool wrote:Hi Robg

The position of the oneway bearing is very important

It requires special tools to adjust that.
Hi swedtool,
Could you tell me where to get an instruction or owner's manual for the Remco? I am very handy with tools and do most of my repairs for appliances & electronics, provided of course I have directions.
If not, could you suggest a repair person, or should I just petition Paypal for a refund (I have only a couple of days to place a dispute)? Thank you for the reply.

swedtool
Sport

Post by swedtool »

I don't know where to get a owners or instruction manual

I did a couple of Remco reels for my own use.

http://clarksclassicflyro...t-Ath-remco#.TtCLN7d5mc0

Send me a PM and I will mail you drawings on the tools you need.

Somtimes Ari used washers insted of adjusting the position of the bearing maby they are missing.

Paul B
Master Guide

Post by Paul B »

Like Anders suggests the washer(s) may be missing . I have a Traun F1 and this uses washers to make up the engineering tollerances associated with the roller bearing.If I assemble the reel without the washer then the drag doesn't work ( I know because I tried it ! ).
Simple fix really and and you can make up the washers out of "shim" steel to whatever tolerance you need .

Paul B

Norwayboo
Guide

Post by Norwayboo »

But will the lack of washers affect turning the brakewheel to such an extent??? That is the problem right, the brakewheel doesn't turn at all? 

swedtool
Sport

Post by swedtool »

Sorry didn't reed the post sufficiently closely.

No, the lack of washers should not affect the function in that extent.

The design is actually very simple but it is carefully how everything is put together.

It is difficult to answer what is wrong without having to unscrew it all and see

RobG

Post by RobG »

Yes... That is the question: The brake wheel will not turn at all (just 1/8" each way, then rock solid). The seller of the reel has contacted me and insinuated that I may have damaged the reel. I responded by telling him that why would I force or damage this beautiful and expensive reel. Anyway, I had to place a dispute with him thru P****l, in order to get a refund in the event that it needed fixing by others. I am half tempted to loosen the brake center nut and see what is going on, but am wary that a spring or other tiny part may jump out and be difficult to placed in the right order. Again, thanks to all for helping me with this dilemma. I will continue checking back later, and hopefully I will resolve this problem.
Robg

brooksriver
Sport

Post by brooksriver »

First, verify there are no missing parts. You should be able to see the black o ring on the drag knob and the white plastic gasket on the needle bearing without taking the reel apart. Here are some pics of a Dutch Remco.   I suspect that you will have to remove the hex screws to determine the cause. ImageImageImage
Last edited by brooksriver on 11/26/11 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

RobG

Post by RobG »

Hi Brooksriver,
Thanks so much for your take apart pics. Don't know if I should try it or not. I have the tools, but the 8mm socket will not fit on the backside recessed nut ( of larger indented knob) because of space limitations for the socket , BUT the socket will fit on the spool side recessed nut (small round knurled knob). Will it work by unscrewing the recessed nut of the spool side knurled knob? Not sure if I'll be able to hold the recessed nut of the larger knob while unscrewing from the spool side. Please inform.
Thanks again,
Robg

RobG

Post by RobG »

Hi again, Brooksriver,
Forgot to mention that after removing the spool, this reel does not have a white plastic gasket covering the needle bearing, but instead the gasket covering is made of shiny metal, and looks to be metal through out. I could send you a picture via email (my ftp is not functioning), if you so need.
Robg

brooksriver
Sport

Post by brooksriver »

Robg,
Removing the Hex nut (screw) on the spool side (same as the handle) will not reveal what is causing the drag to freeze. You have to remove the hex screw on the drag knob.  You're correct about the limited space for a socket.  I had to make my own socket from thin walled copper tubing.   Send pics of the drag knob and the spool retaining knob to artcz at hotmail dot. com .  The white gasket I'm referring to is located to the right of cork on the stainless steel shaft in the second pic.  When the reel is assembled, you should see the white gasket next to the reel frame. 

RobG

Post by RobG »

Hi Brooksriver,
If there are missing parts, such as the plastic washer, cork gasket, or needle bearing, can I order them? If not, I will have to return the reel to the seller, much to my dismay.
Thanks again,
Robg

Norwayboo
Guide

Post by Norwayboo »

Rob, please notice that the Danish made Remcos have somewhat different innards than the Dutch-made ones! Thus there might be differences from Brooksrivers reel.

RobG

Post by RobG »

Hi Norwayboo,
Thanks for the heads up! I sent via email, the pictures of my reel to Brooksriverx. My FTP server is down, but hopefully :I will have them fix it on their side, and try to post some pics of my Remco on the forum.
Robg

brooksriver
Sport

Post by brooksriver »

Hi Rob,
I can't diagnose the problem from the pics. you sent.    As I suspected, you have to take the reel apart to determine the problem.  I recommend that you contact Jeff Bowen. I recall Jeff that was the US rep for ATH (Dutch) when Ari was still involved with the company.  Later, he purchased parts from ATH Design International (Danish - your reel) when they liquidated.  He can also diagnose and repair the reel from his parts inventory.  I'm certain I could take it apart, but I don't have parts if they are required.  I'll locate his email address and send it to you.
Good Luck 
Art

chform
Guide

Post by chform »

I agree with Brooksriver. Get in contact with Jeff Bowen in Santa Fe. He has all the tools you need to repair a Remco, and he is very reliable and good to communicate with.

/Chris
Christian Hörgren Fine Tackle
http://www.finetackle.blogspot.com

Return to “Classic Reels”