Leonard golden shadow info?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

adkmtken
Sport

Leonard golden shadow info?

Post by adkmtken »

i have a chance to by a Leonard golden shadow but can find very little info on them, i have searched far and wide here in cyber space and can find only little bits and pieces, any help?

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Leonard golden shadow info?

Post by creakycane »

Well, they are graphite, blank made by Diamondback and were fairly nicely finished off. I've seen one for sale every now and then on the bay, catalogs, but can't remember the last one. If the price were right I might buy if it passed in front of me, but not something I would chase.
Last edited by creakycane on 06/24/15 17:44, edited 1 time in total.

sgallas
Master Guide

Post by sgallas »

I'm not sure how accurate this is but I believe the Golden Shadow was made by the folks that later formed Diamondback rods. They made them for Leonard , I think before they went public as Diamondback.i have a Golden Shadow that simply says Golden Shadow, Stowe Vermont, on the tube and Golden Shadow , in script, on the rod. No mention of Diamondback or Leonard I think the Leonard predates my golden Shadow but am not sure which came first.
Don't know how much that helps but I hope it may add to what you've already found out.
Best,
Steve

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Diamondback was around back then, they were somehow tied together with REC and Leonard at the time. Barton Merle-Smith was a genius rod designer and owner of the company. The earliest Golden Shadows were just marked Leonard, when Leonard folded up for good Diamondback kept the Golden Shadow name for their highest grade custom rod, based on the Classic Trout series of rods. Steve, I think that is what you have. I'd love to see it sometime. I was a Diamondback dealer 20 or so years ago, Cortland eventually bought them and killed them.

sgallas
Master Guide

Post by sgallas »

Paul,
Thanks. absolutely. I'll bring it when we get together to fish the waters in PA.that I told you about. I had a few Diamondback Classics and one, The Tradition , that I think is what they called that series originally. What I was told by someone at Diamondback is that they did not think the tradition sounded sexy enough and changed the name to the Classic.
Again, don't know how true that is but it's what someone there told me when I sent it back for a minor repair.
Best,
Steve

adkmtken
Sport

Post by adkmtken »

would love to see some close up pictures if you guys have any?

Mahseer
Guide

Post by Mahseer »

How have Diamondback blanks/rods stood up over time? Any experience or views on this would be appreciated.

The June issue of Trout and Salmon has a piece on page 80 that states that early carbon rods get softer over time, eventually becoming too soft to cast or play fish adequately, and the author makes it pretty clear that one of the rods he is talking about is an early Diamondback ("named after a snake").

Haven't used the wonderful Diamondback I bought in 1981, and caught my first Mahseer on, in quite a while as a 2 piece isn't great for the travelling I do. But I'm collecting a 4 piece Diamondback Carbonite (acquired on the Fiberglass Forum) the next time I'm in the USA, and now I'm wondering what to expect.

grayghost
Sport

Post by grayghost »

My first graphite rod was a diamondback purchased in 1977. I have acquired many more of these from 3 wts - 10 wts in 2 pc, 3pc and 4pc configurations, standard trout (early model that was renamed the classic trout) classic trout models, western series and saltwater series. In the early 80's, John Bradford used Diamondback blanks building his own series of rods and built a limited production of these for a noted outdoor retailer. Diamondback also sold their rods to Sue Burgess (noted tackle retailer in UK) and other retailers worldwide. My experience with all these rods have not shown any type of deterioration in action from age or use. The standard trout series rods that used golden brown colored blanks were named the golden shadow series and were originally produced for Leonard for a short period before Leonards demise. Diamondback under the leadership of Barton Merle Smith re-introduced the golden shadow series in the same golden brown color with an additional appointment of n/s "wedding bands" at the ferrules along with continuing use of fine REC n/s reel seats, n/s winding checks, and n/s strap and ring type hook keepers that were used in the regular classic and western series trout rods. It is my opinion that Diamondback and their rods were at the apex of graphite production in quality, components and design during their entire time in business before being sold to Cortland and ceasing production operations. It's my understanding that Cortland continues to own the Diamondback name. However, all the rod mandrills were sold to a fiberglass rod builder who continues to use these fine tapers today.
Last edited by grayghost on 06/24/15 20:11, edited 1 time in total.

Mahseer
Guide

Post by Mahseer »

Many thanks for the reassurance Grayghost.

BTW my earlier Diamondback is the Sue Burgess model. That remained a top choice, and high price, rod in the UK for many years. I used it for a very wide variety of fishing, from English chalk streams to Himalayan rivers, and it always performed extremely well. Must get it out of the back of the cave again and take it fishing.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Deleted by OP.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

shortfin

Post by shortfin »

Short Tip wrote:Diamondback was around back then, they were somehow tied together with REC and Leonard at the time. Barton Merle-Smith was a genius rod designer and owner of the company. The earliest Golden Shadows were just marked Leonard, when Leonard folded up for good Diamondback kept the Golden Shadow name for their highest grade custom rod, based on the Classic Trout series of rods. Steve, I think that is what you have. I'd love to see it sometime. I was a Diamondback dealer 20 or so years ago, Cortland eventually bought them and killed them.
I was also thinking about buying a Leonard but, never did. Do you know which fly rod series Barton Merle-Smith designed?

Thanks,

SF

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

I don't know whether Leonard used other Diamondback product other than the Golden Shadow. The earlier Leonard graphite rods (the grey Graftek ones) were not Diamondback, and not as good IMHO.

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

The Graftek series were the product of Exxon Corp. and had major problems with ferrule breakage. The Leonard Golden Shadow series are the prettiest graphite rods ever built. Pretty without being gaudy!

shortfin

Post by shortfin »

Short Tip wrote:I don't know whether Leonard used other Diamondback product other than the Golden Shadow. The earlier Leonard graphite rods (the grey Graftek ones) were not Diamondback, and not as good IMHO.
Do you know what other fly rod series Barton Merle-Smith design besides Leonard? I am in the market to purchase an additional fly rod or two and I have heard good things about Diamondback. Would you happen to know how long Mr. Merle-Smith designed fly rods for Diamondback?

Thank you in advance for the information!

SF

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Barton owned Diamondback, and was with them until shortly after their takeover by Cortland. He was responsible for the Classic Trout series, the All-American (the USA made ones) and others I can't recall. He may have had input into the original Diamondglass rods, though these were produced under Cortland ownership. Most any Diamondback rod is a keeper.

shortfin

Post by shortfin »

Short Tip wrote:Barton owned Diamondback, and was with them until shortly after their takeover by Cortland. He was responsible for the Classic Trout series, the All-American (the USA made ones) and others I can't recall. He may have had input into the original Diamondglass rods, though these were produced under Cortland ownership. Most any Diamondback rod is a keeper.
Thanks for the information, ST. We have a wedding up in Vermont this weekend. I hope to sneak out for a little time on the water while visiting.

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

Does anyone know if the Diamondback Stowe Vermont made Classic Trout series rods were any differnt (aside from the hardware) than the Golden Shadow rods?
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

DireWolf53 wrote:Does anyone know if the Diamondback Stowe Vermont made Classic Trout series rods were any differnt (aside from the hardware) than the Golden Shadow rods?
I wouldn't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure it's the same blank.

Ricinus
Guide

Post by Ricinus »

My Golden Shadow is marked "8'6" n #8 S.D.7.. I never have figured out what the S.D.7. means..

Mike

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”