Help with choosing a reel

A place to discuss those classic and vintage fly reels, classics include modern variations of those of vintage. Please add your photos, stories or just join in conversation about your reels.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

pppolsky

Help with choosing a reel

Post by pppolsky »

Through this site I learned that I have a very early 1909-1912 9' 6" Horrocks Ibbotson President fly rod. I am new to fly fishing and need some suggestions as to what type of reel, line weight etc. I should be looking for. I imagine it should be some type of vintage reel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Help with choosing a reel

Post by bulldog1935 »

you're going to want something fairly heavy.
Sticking to period, Rochester Ideal or Meisselbach Expert would be my recommendations
http://oldreels.com/rochester_reels.htm
http://oldreels.com/experts.htm

line? very likely a 6-wt. That was a trout-length rod at that time, though you might check with a more knowledgeable historian on the forum
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=230
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=421

ps, if you just want the weight and don't care about matching the period, Martin 72 multiplier is a great choice.

pppolsky

Post by pppolsky »

Thanks for the suggestions. I am totally new at this but I have spent days and hours looking at reels. I had been thinking about Medalist 1495 or 1495 1/2. I have seen the Martin 72 but read where many people complained about the weight. Perhaps for my rod it wouldn't be a problem. The first two you suggested might be difficult to find and might have some condition issues. However, I will check them out. I favor the Martin for the retrieval. I have seen new Martin Mohawk MR72. I don't think you mean these new one. I really am looking at an older model just plain number 72. Thanks again for the suggestions. I really needed some input.

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bulldog1935 »

hard to go wrong with the Medalist

if you're looking to match a period reel, be patient, search around, ask on the Classifieds here, ORCA, joe yates board, and search some of the threads for classic tackle vendors.
Nothing wrong with having a Medalist and finding an Expert later - you may find another rod later, too. :hat

and yes, I was thinking about 70s-ish M 72 that has the classic-looking brass badge on them
Image Image

pppolsky

Post by pppolsky »

I really appreciate every reply. I have tried to balance this early 1900s rod. I have tried different weight products taped to the reel seat. I seems that 14 oz balances just about right with the tip slightly up. What weight reels in oz were used in those early days. Do I need to look for an old salt water reel. What weight in oz. were the reels in those days. What is the weight of the "ideal" Rochester, or the "expert" Meisselbach. Or am I making too mush of the balance idea? Is it possible to find a 14oz reel for my rod. 9'6" bamboo "PRESIDENT" HI. Perhaps it is a really crappy rod. It was supposed to be the top of the line in that time period.

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bulldog1935 »

everybody is going to have a difference preference in balance, and many will take you to task about the entire concept (which can get quite semantic and pedantic).

I prefer slightly tip-heavy - my balance point is up to a few inches in front of the cork.
Logic here is total mass is minimized, which improves feedback and feel, because lower mass reduces damping (especially important on light rods, and tough to achieve). Absolutely butt-heavy even increases tendency to throw tailing loops.

At the other extreme, way too tip heavy, the torsion the rod exerts on your joints is fatiguing.

But the window of personal preference is quite wide.

pppolsky

Post by pppolsky »

Your input is a help. Maybe I'm too concerned with the balance. I think I have narrowed things down to a Medalist 1598 or a M72 or even MR72. They seem to be the same weight. I was outbid last week on a very nice one. The 1598 Medalists seem to appear often. Would you favor one over the other?

Thanks

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bulldog1935 »

there is only one time I use a multiplier - white bass fishing with a Teeny line and a shooting basket (80' casts are beneficial - the fish follow to your feet before snagging the fly - it takes 3 seconds to put the line back on the spool).

In the scenario above, I'm fishing an MM11- click pawl multiplier (weighs 5 oz), but I can tell you the Martin wedding cake disc drag is very functional and I suspect parts will always be here.
With a multiplier, you can't reel direct against a big fish - you have to pump and take up the slack as you're dropping the rod back down (if you're catching big, sounding fish, you have to do that with any fly reel).

I personally wouldn't go past a 1495 Medalist - plenty of weight and capacity.
If you decide you really need to load it up, you can wrap lead core trolling line as a base wrap under your backing.
I balanced a 9' Monty Flash with this aluminum Sal Trout (30, 40 yds 15-lb lead core?)

Swaukkid68
Guide

Post by Swaukkid68 »

Hi , again , would a 1495 work for you ?, if so , PM me your address and I'll hook you up . Come to think of it , I may have a 1498 , if you prefer ? Your move ? Dave

DinoC
Guide

Post by DinoC »

Hi,
If by any chance you're looking
for a Pflueger 1495 1/2 DA, I
have one in very good condition,
at a very low price. Let me Know.
DinoC

desert_angler
Sport

Post by desert_angler »

A Yawman and Erbe auto reel will weigh that rod down too!

George

Eddie Southgate
Master Guide

Post by Eddie Southgate »

:rollin
desert_angler wrote:A Yawman and Erbe auto reel will weigh that rod down too!

George
So would a bucket of wheel weights ! But I would go with the Medalist in a larger size myself.
Wore out old rod junkie , WILL WORK FOR RODS .

Return to “Classic Fly Reels”