F.E. Thomas, The Man & His Rods is at the printers!

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: F.E. Thomas, The Man & His Rods is at the printers!

Post by jeffkn1 »

Two weeks from this Friday I'll be headed down to Jerry's, along with AJ and another collector friend, so I'll have to wait until then to pick up mine. Do wish I had one of the copies now. I know it'll be worth the wait though. Meanwhile, you guys enjoy yours.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

jeffkn1 wrote:Two weeks from this Friday I'll be headed down to Jerry's, along with AJ and another collector friend, so I'll have to wait until then to pick up mine. Do wish I had one of the copies now. I know it'll be worth the wait though. Meanwhile, you guys enjoy yours.
Oh man, only 3.5 hours away! Maybe I'll join you cats for dinner one night.

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Post by fishnbanjo »

Well you do know where a copy is less than 40 minutes away! ;)
banjo
jeffkn1 wrote:Two weeks from this Friday I'll be headed down to Jerry's, along with AJ and another collector friend, so I'll have to wait until then to pick up mine. Do wish I had one of the copies now. I know it'll be worth the wait though. Meanwhile, you guys enjoy yours.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Short Tip wrote:
Oh man, only 3.5 hours away! Maybe I'll join you cats for dinner one night.
Paul
You know you're welcome to join us. We'll be arriving the evening of the 4th. Departure hasn't been decided but might be Tuesday morning. From there we head up to Hancock to visit with Dennis Menscer, who will be making new tips for AJ's recently acquired 9' Kosmic, then on to Oneonta to hitch up a boat to bring home.

pmcroberts
Master Guide

Post by pmcroberts »

Came home from work this morning to find my book had arrived sometime over the past couple days!! Whoa is all I can come up with right now!! Only had a chance to flip through, but I think I am in store for something great!!!

Paul

Rio Grande King
Guide

Post by Rio Grande King »

Received my copy yesterday. Wow! A labor of love, and exceedingly well done. Gentlemen, thank you.

Ken

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

jeffkn1 wrote: Paul
You know you're welcome to join us. We'll be arriving the evening of the 4th. Departure hasn't been decided but might be Tuesday morning. From there we head up to Hancock to visit with Dennis Menscer, who will be making new tips for AJ's recently acquired 9' Kosmic, then on to Oneonta to hitch up a boat to bring home.
Jeff, I sent you a PM.

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Man oh man oh friend of mine, all good things in all good time!"

Thank you gentlemen for taking the time and making the effort to produce this epic piece. It truly raises the bar and my glass to you both!

Thank you!!

Rob

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

What a feast this volume is. I started reading from the beginning yesterday and the combination of history and photos is exceptional.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

jeffkn1 wrote: What a feast this volume is. I started reading from the beginning yesterday and the combination of history and photos is exceptional.

Ditto! I've already spent hours reading it. As Pentalux says, it's ""epic."

CurmudgeonBob

Post by CurmudgeonBob »

Well, here are some early reviews - two weeks after the first books were sent out:

Bob:
I just got a look at the book, and it is EVEN BETTER than I have heard or expected. You have raised the bar for books on rods and/or reels. The documentation of individual rods adds an essential element of "ground truth" that makes the whole thing shine. I have had my $350 worth already and it has only been an hour and a half.
Enjoy your holiday
Ward

Bob and Jerry,
I received my copy of your Thomas book yesterday afternoon, and spent the evening looking it over. It's going to be a fine, a very fine, winter read!
Without a doubt, this is the definitive work on F. E. Thomas. The book has plenty of meat to feed the brain, and a lot of candy to please the eye. Well done -- Hell no -- very, very, well done.
Congratulations,
Bill K.

Gentlemen:
My gratitude for the book which arrived safe and sound and is now being slowly admired and read. I know it will be read more than once and referred to frequently.
You both have the right to be, and indeed should be, extremely proud of what you produced with the history and detail you researched and memorialized for the future.
I am not very good with adjectives and adverbs so permit me to simply tip my hat to you and offer my sincere thanks.
All the best, Charlie

Bob & Jerry
This one absolutely raises the bar to cosmic heights! Exceptionally well done - thank you very much! Can I purchase another? Will forward payment shortly if so.
Thank you again!
Rob

Dear Mr. Bob Stewart
Thank you for e-mailing me. Few days ago, I began to read the book from chapter 8, an interview with Walt Carpenter ( because I'm a rod builder.) . Chapter 8 and 9 are very exciting for a rod builder, so I'm very excited, because there are lots of photos which is full of information how to operate the equipment and manage the workshop. I guess I can enjoy reading this book all through this winter ( rod making season).
Best Regards,
Masaki

Well, there are less than 25 books left - Jerry and I are very pleased with the response.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

It's become a fad in restaurants for the waiters and waitresses to ask, "are you still enjoying your meal," instead of "are you finished" or "can I clear these dishes." I am rationing my reading of this delicious book because I am still enjoying it. I'm enjoying the pictures, rich historical detail and conclusions. Even the enduring mysteries and intriguing theories are enjoyable. I'm not ready for my plate to be empty!

ARTHURK
Master Guide

Post by ARTHURK »

Thanks to Bob, Jerry and Per, I had a full FET spread for Christmas yesterday and today fishing Art Warner's 7' 2/2 Browntone featured on page 216 of the book. A fast tipped rod with a swelled butt to fight feisty bass. Matched well with 4wt & an EVH Peerless.

Santa's been forgiving to me this Christmas! I now wait excitedly for my Kosmic taper & finish rod from Gnome to delve deeper into FET history. Reading and fishing with the very wands mentioned in the book. That is living out history. :D

Cheers
Arthur

SamNielson
Guide

Post by SamNielson »

Could someone supply me with more information? I am compiling a bibliography of books like this one.

For this book, I have the author and title (and year of publication), but I need the publishing place and the publisher.
Thanks

Sam

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Sam

It's:

The Two Curmudgeon Press
54966 Mallard Drive
Bend, OR 97707

ISBN# 978-1-936702-57-2

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Not asking for anyone to feel sorry for me, but as a recent retiree it's, regrettably, just too expensive for me.

That said, I wish only the best outcome and accolades for the authors and publisher and, of course, readers as well.

Best,

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

Short Tip wrote:I have officially moved to the edge of my seat.

Don't mean to get off topic too much - but THIS has to be one of the all-time great fishing pics - of all-time!!!! Wood Canvas, a Thomas rod and Brook Trout. Can't beat that.

64Emmons
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 64Emmons »

I just received mine today. Marvelous book.
Chris

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Happy early 60th to me as I joined this exclusive club today. Lucky number 7 indeed! Wow, what an amazing book. Great job, Jerry and Bob. I'm going to be occupied for quite some time.

thomasrodco
Sport

Post by thomasrodco »

Congrats!

Return to “Book Talk”