1950s Bogdans and a search for my white whale....

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

turtledoc
Bamboo Fanatic

1950s Bogdans and a search for my white whale....

Post by turtledoc »

As the years go on, I have come to the realization that I have a thing for 1950s Bogdan reels and from what models I know were made in the 50s, I am missing one model......it's my white whale......a 1950s Model 300.

I recall seeing 2 or 3 Model 300s from the 50s for sale over the years, but I think 2 of the 3 offerings were the same reel from different sellers??

I'd enjoy hearing if others on the forum either own, have owned, or have run into any 1950s Model 300s in the past.

My collection of 50s vintage Bogdans are shown in the photos below and include: two of the last prototypes that are the same capacity and dimensions as a Model 1, and for lack of a better description are referred to / described, as "The Missing Links", a 3 1/4 inch reel that is half way between the width of a Model 0 and Model 00, two regular Model 0s (one LHW, and the other with a hand engraved name plate), an all black Model 1, a 3 1/4 inch reel in A&F colors that was either an early attempt as a Model 100 for A&F (my belief), or an early Model 00, and the most recent addition, a Model 2. I've been fortunate to use 5 of the 8 reels photo'd, for salmon and trout in AK in past trips.

I'd love to see photos of other 50s Bogdans......especially if somebody has a Model 300 to share :)

Mark B

salmonfly
Guide

Re: 1950s Bogdans and a search for my white whale....

Post by salmonfly »

Nice collection of reels you have their Mark, thanks for sharing.
Good luck with the hunt for your white whale.
**** I ‘LL BE BACK IN 5, GONE FISHING, YOU JUST KEEP READING THIS EVERY 5 MINUTE !! ****

barents

Post by barents »

Fantastic collection!

I have recently purchased an A&F 300 it is stamped so I assume it is a 1960 made reel. Handle is black. Brake handle with 7-increments and brown brake shoes. Soooo it depends if 1960 is the last year of the 50's or the first in the 1960's ;-)

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

What a great group photo.

Sure looks like a group of whales to me.

Inspiration.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

drbaits
Master Guide

Post by drbaits »

Mark, would you be so kind as to identify features for the ‘50s reels vs later? I’ve not seen that discussion in print and the Bogdan book isn’t much help.

Thanks!
John

Mayoroco

Post by Mayoroco »

While on the topic of Bogdans: how does one know the approximate year of its making, regardless of the era? I have a single action 00 and I’d like to figure out when it was made
Uncle Dave

turtledoc
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by turtledoc »

Brian, thanks for resurrecting this thread.....was fun to see after so many years!

John and Dave, if you want to PM me I'd be happy to share my thoughts on any specific reel. It's usually possible to get to a range of years based on features.

As far as a more accessible reference for information, hopefully in the next year or so a good friend and I will have something available.

P.S - It was interesting to me that since that photo I've only added one 40s prototype and one 50s proto/pre production reel to the collection. If the photo on 50s reels was reshot today there'd only be one more in the pic after 7 or so years

Thanks

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

I would appreciate knowing anything about why two have hex center covers.
A makers touch or a customer request ?

Thanks for always kicking down the knowledge Mark.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Return to “Classic Reels”