Classic Reels at Work!

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Classic Reels at Work!

Post by Flykuni3 »

Thread's so damn long I may have posted same shot years ago, ha.

My 2 9/16s 3-screw St. George, mounted on a 7' FE Thomas Browntone (estate of William Conrad), on a great little creek in the Eastern Sierra of California. Last November, just before the closer. Had a wonderful day with the stream all to myself.

Image[/url]

1492 Medalist, with Pfoot alteration (thanks Russ Gabel of Frazier Mountain for your fine reel work; he had to deal with rivets not screws), DT2 silk, mounted on a 6'9, 2/2 rod old pal George Boehme hand-planed for me. It is super soft, and drives everyone nuts. It balances almost perfectly with the Medalist. And great fun on small trout.

This guy was a load of fun to take on the Boehme.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Nice stuff and nice fish. Who cares if it's a rerun? Not me. Cannon would be happy to know his rod is still being fished.

LeeB
Master Guide

Post by LeeB »

Visiting my wife's family in southern Maine, and spent this morning chasing stripers with a longtime friend. We used to do this a lot, but haven't had many chances since moving to Seattle. First time I've used the Fin Nor Wedding Cake #2 in several years, and I was reminded what a great saltwater reel it is, perfect for this type of fishing. The rod is a 9' - 9 wt. Scott that I wrapped in Jan. 1998. We had a great morning, with several mid-size fish all on small clousers, and a particularly nice one that I lost right in front of Jeb Bush's new house. A lobster and a couple cold beers are going to round out the day.
Lee

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

A classic without a doubt. I have too many wedding cakes, but I can't help myself. May I ask which Scott blank that is?

LeeB
Master Guide

Post by LeeB »

Jim - My log book is back in Seattle, but I want to say STS? It's a 3 piece, and was definitely from one of their saltwater series. I'll check when I get home and correct if that's wrong.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

A very cold first week in November last season, just before the closer, creek in the Eastern Sierra range. (my favorite and I ain't telling, 'cause it's overrun, but so sweet anyways). Ok, it's initials are B.P. and it's always great (when everyone has left). Especially when it's deserted and this cold. Brrr, my feet.

I took trout after trout on this day, generally 8" -- 13", browns and rainbows and very strong. The 6 1/2' Guba-Bacon-Payne 96 got a good workout. It has that feel of the 7' Granger taper, medium-fast but stiffens up well below the ferrule. The short length was just right for this tight stream; fish came to a dark brown soft hackle with a bead, a general nymph that works for me. (and is very easy to tie, and lose). The St. George fit well.

Don't worry, took out my 'kerchief and dried off all the spray after the shot.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

The "blue collar" outfit, yet quite worthy, as ol' Phil Snyder might intone. It's redolent of the Golden Age, and I admire it greatly.

Maybe the Gatsby fisher would not allow his tush to trick out in a 7' DT2 Montague, instead fit himself up but good at Mills or Abercrombie in NYC with a gleaming Hardy, instead of the lowly 1492 Medalist, good god how common. But he'd be missing out of the pleasure and purpose of using good, utilitarian American-made equipment. Yankee gear. None of that Limey stuff, no sir, made here in the States by American labor. Them days aint' coming back, boys, the Boss might sing.

The history we fish with today may be more than the history of our sport. Maybe it bears witness to the very history of America.

The reel holds a DT2 in silk, and the place is not far from Los Angeles. It's a stream near the infamous San Andreas fault, and the geology there is tilted Miocene layers. There are wild trout, and they take attractors easily on top. On this day a thick 10" bent the soft Monty deep.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Drought has killed my local fishing, all I can do these days is post dreams, pine for trips long ago. Sigh, oh woe, I am a weak and whiny teenaged girl.

No I'm not, I'm a crazy, rich-in-bamboo Asian, yeah that's it. And here's another reel at work, one you don't see around a lot. It's the original Hardy Sunbeam, smooth foot with the wacky Bickerdyke line guard. It's the small one, 2 3/4", and this particular beauty has traveled to England, Scotland, Japan and around the States. I rub it long time. I mean I fish it a lot.

Here it is on the bridge railing at the Hot Creek Ranch, mounted on an 8' Heddon Featherweight, old DT4 Chalkstream Chancellor line. I had a fine day with the outfit, fishing dries, emergers and terrestrials to the bitchy trout in that stream. Sometimes so selective they make the best guys whine like girls .

The Sunbeam was at the end of the Hardy line, and the design of the thing was somewhat odd. The line guard may look cool but if you're not careful your line may become trapped (avoid loose coils) . But it's durable, looks like an old Enfield to me and has weight to it, so it balances a lot of my rods, and travels well.

Here is the 'Beam in an interesting situation, fishing on the Animas in Colorado, not long after it was opened for public access. A few years ago you may recall seeing an orangey river that was impacted from a mine spill accident? Well, this is the river. Happy to report that all discoloration was gone, fish were present, and I had a nice day casting a 7 1/2' 3/2 Thomas rod, with same reel and same line.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Great pictures to help us survive these low-water days, Flykuni! Thanks.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Fin Nors and Sunbeams. We don't see enough of either. Thanks, guys.

av1903
Guide

Post by av1903 »

Bougle mk iv

Wise indeed was George Selwyn Marryat when he said: "its not the fly; its the driver"

page 193,
GEM Skues,The Way Of A Trout With A Fly

sovereign
Master Guide

Post by sovereign »

:)
av1903 wrote:Bougle mk iv

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Years ago, when I traveled with what I thought was a great outdoors camera, one of the Olympus Stylus Tough models. And it was. Only later did I understand how the shooting modes bumped up the greens and other hues. But really, this isn't fake news, it looks this good in-person. The reel is a favorite, the CFO lll, mounted on a 7' TTT for a DT2. Now, you might think the reel is too large but it balances well. The dark metals of rod and reel are congruent, and if I go spiritual I'd say they like each other. The light is natural, it was a very good day on this beaut of a trout stream.

This is the personal creek in the Eastern Sierra region. Sorry, it's already known and doesn't need more pressure. Pal George and I fished it many times, he loved it and he wouldn't want me talking it up. It isn't the kind of fishing that's easy, but the reward is great: explosive risers that aren't picky, trout full of color and spit. A workout for your short bamboo. This T&T is close to perfection, medium-fast, impregnated, accurate as a .22. Stepping upstream it was one trout after another, after another.

If you pause for a sammich or refreshment you will sit on damp banks. It will be shady and cool even after a long and hot California summer. Tiny mushrooms have sprouted in the mosses that are thick and untrammeled. Focus in, miniature worlds bonsai all around you (whoa, gotta remember that phrase for Facebook). Above and around the wind drifts through willow and alder, you smell sage now and then. At the right time of year you're in a world of golden leaves.

Your feet are soaking wet, and that's totally okay.

Ponsonby Britt
Sport

Post by Ponsonby Britt »

On a tributary creek of the Rio Grande, upstream from Creede, CO. A few weeks ago.

It was pictures of the Perfect similar to this one that let me enjoy these reels before I could get one for myself. I appreciate all the pictures of leaded Hardy Perfects (made between the Wars) everyone has posted already.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Took a birdcage spool Pflueger Medalist 1392 loaded with a 1/2 length J.P. Theabault DT4 out on a small spring creek this afternoon and caught 3 small browns on a dry from this pool.

euroflyangler_paul
Guide

Post by euroflyangler_paul »

Flykuni3 wrote:Years ago, when I traveled with what I thought was a great outdoors camera, one of the Olympus Stylus Tough models. And it was. Only later did I understand how the shooting modes bumped up the greens and other hues. But really, this isn't fake news, it looks this good in-person. The reel is a favorite, the CFO lll, mounted on a 7' TTT for a DT2. Now, you might think the reel is too large but it balances well. The dark metals of rod and reel are congruent, and if I go spiritual I'd say they like each other. The light is natural, it was a very good day on this beaut of a trout stream.

This is the personal creek in the Eastern Sierra region. Sorry, it's already known and doesn't need more pressure. Pal George and I fished it many times, he loved it and he wouldn't want me talking it up. It isn't the kind of fishing that's easy, but the reward is great: explosive risers that aren't picky, trout full of color and spit. A workout for your short bamboo. This T&T is close to perfection, medium-fast, impregnated, accurate as a .22. Stepping upstream it was one trout after another, after another.

If you pause for a sammich or refreshment you will sit on damp banks. It will be shady and cool even after a long and hot California summer. Tiny mushrooms have sprouted in the mosses that are thick and untrammeled. Focus in, miniature worlds bonsai all around you (whoa, gotta remember that phrase for Facebook). Above and around the wind drifts through willow and alder, you smell sage now and then. At the right time of year you're in a world of golden leaves.

Your feet are soaking wet, and that's totally okay.

Well composed picture, great reading. And the CFO III an all time classic. Thanks for sharing!
"If I go fishing, my wife is going to leave me. I'll miss her."

http://euroflyangler.com
https://www.instagram.com/classicflyangler/

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

L&C Varden (Young) on an 8' Heddon 14.

Lockfast
Master Guide

Post by Lockfast »

A 3 1/4" Young (Alex Martin "Club") bought from a forum member, 7' Walker Bampton and a 17" native Finnish brown trout that was rising to Summer Mayfly (Siphlonurus) spinners.

sovereign
Master Guide

Post by sovereign »

Flykuni3 wrote:Drought has killed my local fishing, all I can do these days is post dreams, pine for trips long ago. Sigh, oh woe, I am a weak and whiny teenaged girl.

No I'm not, I'm a crazy, rich-in-bamboo Asian, yeah that's it. And here's another reel at work, one you don't see around a lot. It's the original Hardy Sunbeam, smooth foot with the wacky Bickerdyke line guard. It's the small one, 2 3/4", and this particular beauty has traveled to England, Scotland, Japan and around the States. I rub it long time. I mean I fish it a lot.

Here it is on the bridge railing at the Hot Creek Ranch, mounted on an 8' Heddon Featherweight, old DT4 Chalkstream Chancellor line. I had a fine day with the outfit, fishing dries, emergers and terrestrials to the bitchy trout in that stream. Sometimes so selective they make the best guys whine like girls .

The Sunbeam was at the end of the Hardy line, and the design of the thing was somewhat odd. The line guard may look cool but if you're not careful your line may become trapped (avoid loose coils) . But it's durable, looks like an old Enfield to me and has weight to it, so it balances a lot of my rods, and travels well.

Here is the 'Beam in an interesting situation, fishing on the Animas in Colorado, not long after it was opened for public access. A few years ago you may recall seeing an orangey river that was impacted from a mine spill accident? Well, this is the river. Happy to report that all discoloration was gone, fish were present, and I had a nice day casting a 7 1/2' 3/2 Thomas rod, with same reel and same line. // A nice little Hardy gem, your Hardy the Sunbeam, made between 1924 and 1956, yours are from the early days and it was made between 1924 and 1933 ( seen on the spool-locker ) Does your little Hardy-gem have the initials of the Hardy reel-maker stamped inside ? // Steen

Last edited by sovereign on 10/28/18 18:58, edited 1 time in total.

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

I have nothing to offer being housebound in late autumn in Vermont. But looking at those sweet waters, trout and stellar rods and reels has my fishing juices flowing. Thank you all for the wonderful posts. Jed
Fefferfly

Return to “Classic Reels”