Just a thank youto the older generation sharing

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

mwfick
Guide

Just a thank youto the older generation sharing

Post by mwfick »

Joe Humphreys sharing a few skills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dhKgm4dztg

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Just a thank youto the older generation sharing

Post by PYochim »

mwfick,

Thanks for the video. I grew up on the Pa. streams and Joe was legendary there. He certainly is the real deal. What I like best about him is that he does not blow his own horn. He's all business. An icon of our sport who flies low.

mwfick
Guide

Post by mwfick »

I was inspired by his desire to pass on his knowledge as Mr. Alex Vardanis did for me.
I will never forget his graciousness and patience.
Mike

WI Flyfisherman

Post by WI Flyfisherman »

10 fish on dries=80 with a nymph.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

I used to watch his shows on TV - I nicknamed him "hoover" after a couple shows. He needed little editing from what I could tell to fill his show time with fishes. His verbiage was always rich with teaching wisdom. I wish I could tuck cast like he could - made it auto pilot man. Cast 60 feet, nah, 20 would do nicely. Dick Vitale would be, hoover baby!

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Excellent.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

One of my fishing icons for sure and a very nice man.

sowa
Guide

Post by sowa »

Thanks for posting the video. Joe had a great influence over my fly fishing, casting and tying. I was in the last casting and fly fishing classes that Joe taught at Penn State. He is even more amazing to watch him fish and cast first hand. A terrific teacher and a very patient gentlemen.

He is truly one of the greats.

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

MWfick, thank you so much for that video of Joe Humphries. What a delightful experience. Joe takes us back to his youth fishing PA. mountain streams. He truly inspires us to be teachers of the sport that is our passion. He gives us not only technique in fishing nymphs, but the joy of passing on what we love to others, especially young people. Thank you for that glimpse into Joe Humphries!!! He will be at Somerset this weekend. Cheers, Jed
Fefferfly

mwfick
Guide

Post by mwfick »

That's really cool.
I'm glad to have posted it.
Passing things on like this can be everyone's legacy.
You may not always realize that little things can mean so much to others, but they do :)
Mike

kidtulsa
Sport

Post by kidtulsa »

Really great to see this. Thank you for sharing. Pete

mwfick
Guide

Post by mwfick »

Here is the link to Live the Stream
What an incredible film!

https://youtu.be/D8cL8JsqGpQ

Simon Wagstaff
Sport

Post by Simon Wagstaff »

Lovely guy! Once referred to me as "the greatest trout fisherman in the world"! Of course, I'd asked him to, but still...

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

And here, in a photograph I took, he is (without Wagstaff) but with Joan Wulff and A. J. Campbell.

406tom
Guide

Post by 406tom »

Alexis used to go to the clinics Joe and Ed Shenk had every year at the Allenberry. Those guys were wonderful teachers and she never forgot how much fun it was.

Tom

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

He's so refreshing, old school, with techniques no one teaches. That brush and night fishing addiction of his impresses me to no end. The dry fly leader formula he got from George Harvey increased my dry fly hook-ups at least 50 percent. His professorship allowed him to avoid being a tackle schiller. In fact, his tackle is rather pedestrian--another virtue in my book (one that I do not live up to). "Live the Stream" opened me up to the man, his personality. On his instructional vids, he comes off sometimes like an old fashioned wrestling coach, which he was. But the documentary showed me a man of good humor, a hot dog eater, a family man who wrestles with the grief of the loss of his wife, and a man of compassion, generous with his students, encouraging, positive. Jazz musicians have a profane, yet supreme, sobriquet for a player who's the real thing: Joe's the S&*t!"

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Enjoy his video - Brush Fishing... Poignant in that his dominamt theme is to protect these natives and their environment. Different in that "respect" for their habitat and "respect" for skill casting and "respect" for the vanishing natives is all that he is selling - only selling what truly matters...

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

I count myself privileged to have seen the gentleman cast in person, out here in Pasadena, California. He was as he appears in the video, down to earth, dressed in khaki. Casting beautifully -- I've never seen a longer or better bow and arrow cast. And his stroke on other casts was short and decisive. Forward hunched, like a dedicated fisherman.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”