Value of a Heddon Imperial 125 w and w/o line guide?

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Low-and-Slow
Sport

Value of a Heddon Imperial 125 w and w/o line guide?

Post by Low-and-Slow »

Hi,
I was wondering about the fair market value for a Heddon Imperial 125 reel with and without the line guide. Reel being in an average used condition, i.e., not mint and not falling apart.
Many thanks.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Value of a Heddon Imperial 125 w and w/o line guide?

Post by SpringCreek »

Condition is everything here. Without a line guide in average condition you are probably around $100. With a line guide depends on the type of guide, metal or agate. Metal would be a slight premium and agate would be in the neighborhood of $250-$300 based on what I have seen.
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

stickleyboy
Guide

Post by stickleyboy »

A nice agate 125 in black finish sat on eBay for maybe two years until one of us finally bit for $400 in January. Three months later, another went for $312, and then a best offer somewhere south of $435. None of these were minty.

Chrome round line guides have gone recently (3 of them in the last 3 months) for $200-245.

The w/o line guide (same as post war painted black adjustable drag 125s) version seems to come up more rarely. The latest went for $190.50. I got mine about 8 years ago on this board for $90.
Has a man ever caught fish on high mountains? And even though what I want and do up here be folly, it is still better than if I became solemn.... Bite, my fishing rod, into the belly of all black melancholy! Nietzsche,Thus Spoke Zarathustra

stickleyboy
Guide

Post by stickleyboy »

In October 2022, a very nice 125A (lighter finish, white handle) went for $449 online.
Has a man ever caught fish on high mountains? And even though what I want and do up here be folly, it is still better than if I became solemn.... Bite, my fishing rod, into the belly of all black melancholy! Nietzsche,Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Sight unseen and as described - the value is up to you.
Can we see it ? oh yeah its not yours

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=131380&start=60
Check out post # 74 - complete package with box.

It all depends on demand for this reel - and its features.
A white handle should add to the price.
No line guide detracts, etc.

I suggest the seller check around for comparables - the current market will tell the truth.
Carefully - I make mention of places that these reels are bought and sold.
Other E commerce sites current and past sales.

A guy could find the original box and bag, paperwork and increase the value... or just move the reel.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

stickleyboy
Guide

Post by stickleyboy »

Blanchard’s just sold a Heddon Imperial 125 in original box for $600. It was a version I’ve never seen before.

It was very nice-looking. It had a very dark leaded finish, ivorine handle, and it had neither the roller-line guard, the chrome circular line guard, nor the agate circular line guard. The box described it as “Plain”. To be clear, this is also not the later black version with adjustable drag.

Has anyone else seen this version of the pre-war Heddon imperial 125?

Ron Gast
Sport

Post by Ron Gast »

Here's photos of the one I have.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

stickleyboy--

Yes, the no lineguard version was the first version offered in 1924, according to the ORCA article in the May 2004 edition of their "Reel News." It sold as the Model 125 for 12.50 without the lineguard, and as the Model 125A for $15.00 with the agate lineguard.

stickleyboy
Guide

Post by stickleyboy »

Cool, they were known to exist. But has anyone *seen* one before?

I guess I’m asking if the plain version, not the beautiful 125R version Ron helpfully posted, is as rare as I suspect given I’ve never seen one on this site or on the web after 15 years of obsessing about the 125?

I searched the web and this site again, and I found one reference to someone who said he had one.

Bulldog said the plain version was made 124-1929.

And I found one picture of one in this thread: https://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?t=22311

Scroll down and you’ll see a case of 125s at a convention. The upper grouping has one in the 10 o’clock position, but it’s the familiar lighter finish, not the dark black leaded finish of the recent reel.

Dwight
Guide

Post by Dwight »

I purchased the plain version pictured on the big auction site about ten years ago for around $50. I haven’t encountered another one since. If rarity alone determined their value, they’d be worth more than the agate version. But I doubt the market would ever prove that true. I replaced the agate on the other reel pictured because it was badly broken. I made a new pawl for the plain version using some carbon steel that I annealed, formed, hardened and tempered because the original was broken. I love the smooth purr of the drag.

stickleyboy
Guide

Post by stickleyboy »

There it is! Thanks, Dwight. It looks like your 125P is in the same dark leaded finish (although most of it was worn away) as the reel that sold at Blanchard’s.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/13 ... l-fly-reel

This reel, VG+ with original box in only ok condition, at $600+ buyers premium, is higher than any agate 125A I’ve seen, but I haven’t seen a 125A come up in the last 10 years with the original box. My guess is that you’re right that it would bring more than $600 if it were mint.

Someone, please test the theory in the Classifieds!

Dwight
Guide

Post by Dwight »

An early Heddon Imperial 125 reel without line guard and, maybe, 2/3 - 3/4 of dark leading remaining (no box) just sold on the big auction site for $337.

eapling
Guide

Post by eapling »

Hokey Smokes Bullwinkle !!!!!!

stickleyboy
Guide

Post by stickleyboy »

Yep. I told you they were rare.

stickleyboy
Guide

Post by stickleyboy »

I very nice 125A with ivory grasp just sold on eBay for $350.

So much regret…

Melodious_Thunk
Guide

Post by Melodious_Thunk »

stickleyboy wrote:
11/02/23 13:56

So much regret…
Second time it was sold it looks like. Buggered foot screw and that spring doesn’t look factory.
" Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike " - John Muir, Travels in Alaska

stickleyboy
Guide

Post by stickleyboy »

Good points. That’s why I didn’t pull the trigger. Still…

Melodious_Thunk
Guide

Post by Melodious_Thunk »

stickleyboy wrote:
11/02/23 15:38
Good points. That’s why I didn’t pull the trigger. Still…
You made the right choice I believe. If you’re after one be patient. These reels aren’t that common, BUT they do turn up often enough that in my opinion it’s worth waiting for the right reel. Here’s a nice example of a 125A I sold a few years ago…….One I probably should have kept but you know how that goes. And it went to a good home.

" Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike " - John Muir, Travels in Alaska

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Melodious_Thunk wrote:
11/02/23 14:56
stickleyboy wrote:
11/02/23 13:56

So much regret…
Second time it was sold it looks like. Buggered foot screw and that spring doesn’t look factory.
If you are referring to the reel that the seller sold on August 12th, it is not the same one. Compare the pictures and you will notice they are in fact different reels. The latch covers are different, and small scratches in the finish don't match. The spring is original (or at least a factory spring) not a replacement. While it has a buggered screw on the foot, it really has little impact on the reels usability. Based on the sales of similar era reels with the agate line guide that I am aware of having changed hands in the last couple of years, this one sold well under those and some of those had other faults. Anyone who decided to pass on this reel isn't likely to see a similar agate version that is better for the price. While I have more reels than I could possibly ever use (if I'm not careful I'll eventually have enough to use a different reel every day of the year), had I been aware of it being for sale I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat.
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

stickleyboy
Guide

Post by stickleyboy »

I think SpringCreek is right on the money literally and figuratively. When I finally find “mine”, it will be about the condition of the reel in question and $450.

Return to “Classic Reels”