question re: reel size for 5+lb broodstock salmon

A place to discuss those classic and vintage fly reels, classics include modern variations of those of vintage. Please add your photos, stories or just join in conversation about your reels.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

offshore31
Guide

question re: reel size for 5+lb broodstock salmon

Post by offshore31 »

We've got some broodstock salmon stocked in the merricmac river that i'm think of trying for. I've got an an older (well 10yr old) 9' 6wt cheap (low end) rod with no reel that's been sitting around. Living in NH, was looking for a NH builders 6wt reel for the rod, so that would be bogdan, peerless or robichaud. some questions for your consideration

i'm used to smaller trout fishing (3,4, 5wt), so i'm wondering if my 6wt would be outgunned?

if the 6wt would be ok, Bob Selb has a peerless model 3 and a bogdan steelhead available. are those reels too big for the 6wt? There's also a beautiful black bogdan large trout reel on vintage tackle which might do the trick. but i can't do 3k for a reel.

thanks for your time
Joe

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: question re: reel size for 5+lb broodstock salmon

Post by PYochim »

The Peerless is a nice reel but the mechanism has some flaws. I have a 2A. On mine the knob has to be in a certain spot for the click mechanism to function smoothly. Otherwise it runs pretty rough. As long as you keep this in mind, the reel will serve you well.

OnTheBrink
Guide

Post by OnTheBrink »

I've had very good luck with my Peerless reels – 77, 7M, 7, No1, 1A, 1 1/2, 2A – and have not experienced any issues.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

I've owned all the Peerless models and none of them have ever experienced the problem mentioned above. The 3A would work fine with the 6 wt. It was designed as a 7/8 wt reel, but is the same diameter as the 2A with a wider spool. In weight they are fairly close to each other, only being about 1/2 oz different in weight. The Bogdan Steelhead is the same diameter as the Peerless, slightly heavier and does not have an adjustable drag. Both are fine reels.

Best of luck.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

Return to “Classic Fly Reels”